Not sure what this is from

Lisa79

I have this frame (which I believe has been used as a trailer at some point), however the rear end is confusing me. Possibly a 2 speed Columbia but not 100%, also a possibility of an English model Y. 

any ideas? 

IMG_2638.jpeg

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_1780.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

Hi Lisa79, This appears to be from a 1930s Chevrolet based on the picture showing a Hex Grease Dust Hub Cap. If you can take a photo of the Hub Cap that will help the other more knowledgeable folks provide you with matching or better info. So this appears to be the remnants of a Farm style trailer made from an old car chassis, which is really cool in my book of cool antique vehicle recycling. Best Wishes. Tom

This looks a little like 30's FORD that had the transverse springs front and back. It's kind of a different critter tho,it does appear to be a 2-speed,most Columbias I've seen were vacuum shift and had a vacuum cylinder on the  rear axle. Is there a hole in the rear axle housing that a rod might have gone in from that linkage? Also you need to show the outside of a wheel so the lug hole pattern shows. Those wheels don't look anything like FORD from the inside so it could be Willys or something else.

2 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

This looks a little like 30's FORD that had the transverse springs front and back. It's kind of a different critter tho,it does appear to be a 2-speed,most Columbias I've seen were vacuum shift and had a vacuum cylinder on the  rear axle. Is there a hole in the rear axle housing that a rod might have gone in from that linkage? Also you need to show the outside of a wheel so the lug hole pattern shows. Those wheels don't look anything like FORD from the inside so it could be Willys or something else.

It’s definitely ford as there is ford stamps literally everywhere on it.  

There is a hole on the rear axle

I have attached photos of both for you 

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3205.jpeg

IMG_3207.jpeg

35 minutes ago, TOM H. S. said:

Hi Lisa79, This appears to be from a 1930s Chevrolet based on the picture showing a Hex Grease Dust Hub Cap. If you can take a photo of the Hub Cap that will help the other more knowledgeable folks provide you with matching or better info. So this appears to be the remnants of a Farm style trailer made from an old car chassis, which is really cool in my book of cool antique vehicle recycling. Best Wishes. Tom

There is ford markings all over the frame

it is super cool would love to know more about it :) 

IMG_3206.jpeg

IMG_3204.jpeg

In 1936 FORD went to that big lug pattern and it lasted two or three years. I've never seen the big pattern wheels like these. That hole is in the wrong place to shift the ring gears on a two speed. I wonder if it might be stock English Ford which I know nothing about.

Based on the wheels, not a model Y.  They were wire wheels only, as was the model C (10).  In 1938 the Y became the 7Y which was the same as the Y mechanically but had an updated body and pressed steel wheels.  In 1939 Ford renamed it the Anglia.  Except for a name change to Popular in 1953 it would stay in production until 1962 basically unchanged mechanically from 1932 and still using the 1939 body.

Wheels are similar to Ford Prefect and Angiia. I have Prefects with those wheels but the actual differential does not look familiar (then again I have not spent a lot of time under them). Way too hard at present to move cars around to lift and take a look but possibly is - mine date 1949 & 50 so there is potential they changed at some time.

Steve

Edit - this is from Small Ford parts in England so it looks like it is Prefect or Anglia 1938-54

image.png.3d6d277b02990b7e75bb7cced0051f07.png

Edited by Fordy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't think it's British Ford as they are pretty small and light compared to N.A. models. But that diff is flooring me. Not Columbia, Not Lincoln as far as I can tell. Any other aftermarket  builders?

3 hours ago, Oldtech said:

I don't think it's British Ford as they are pretty small and light compared to N.A. models

The only way would be to measure the track. But a comparison with the parts diagram has it with a similar center, spring perches and coupled with the wheels being the same, without physically standing in front of it, my money is 100% British Ford

Agree with Fordy.  No doubt in my mind these are English Ford wheels.  They were used on the Anglia and Prefect from 1938 to 1953 and on the Popular (formerly Anglia) from 1953 to 1962.

Looks like aftermarket ford/lincoln wide five bolt pattern.  The switch to hydraulic brakes was done in 39 so mechanical 38 and earlier.

10 hours ago, swab said:

Looks like aftermarket ford/lincoln wide five bolt pattern.  The switch to hydraulic brakes was done in 39 so mechanical 38 and earlier.

US Ford yes, English Ford no.  The Anglia and Prefect both retained cable operated mechanical brakes until 1953.  In 1953 the Anglia was renamed the Popular and kept its 1932 vintage mechanical brakes until 1962.

• Like 1

Ford wide 5 1936 to around 1939ish. 

Ford "wide five" Brake Drums - The Ford Barn

But that rear axle setup is kinda strange. Should have the two axles attached to the center section for cars. The trucks used a housing setup like that, the 1937 version is shown in Victor Page's repair manual but trucks didn't use the transverse spring. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)

14 hours ago, swab said:

Wide 5 was stock on the Ford cars. 

How about the Fordson E83W Thames truck?  Produced 1937-56.  Used the same wheels as the Anglia/Prefect and had mechanical brakes. Haven't found a suitable illustration of the rear axle.  Anyone?

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

How about the Fordson E83W Thames truck?  Produced 1937-56.  Used the same wheels as the Anglia/Prefect and had mechanical brakes. Haven't found a suitable illustration of the rear axle.  Anyone?

Anglia and Prefects both retained a mechanical brake set up through to the 100E and 105E