Strange Rattle

Rockable

My 65 Riviera has a metallic sounding rattle in the PS door. I have had the door skin and the door panel off twice each and have yet to determine what is causing it. I have hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I can hear the rattle but I can't judge direction very well, plus it is hard to get close enough to the PS door while driving it. 😁  Has anyone else dealt with this and determined what is causing it. I folded up a sheet of paper and put it between the door panel fuzzy and the glass, thinking this might be it but it didn't change anything. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Rock

Could be the infamous and seemingly dreaded "Riviera rattle". Think it's caused by the vapor return line (if you have factory A/C), and the fuel line rubbing against each other when the car is running. Mine seems to do it more often than not in the winter time with colder temperatures. Not sure there is a real fix; I'm sure others here have come up with ways to deal with it; I just let it roll.

If you have the door skin off, look at this arm and make sure it’s not broken. The roller runs in a curved track. The arm is easily broken when the door is close by grabbing the glass at the top to close the door rather than using the door handle.IMG_1328.jpeg.9fa03fa0d21178d516b3259dfa85858b.jpeg Sorry about the small image.   

To get a better look at it, check out this eBay auction. https://www.ebay.com/itm/332693440759?fits=Year%3A1963|Model%3ARiviera|Make%3ABuick&hash=item4d761308f7:g:o0gAAOSwNd9bK0ta&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0EO5nak334FtgDNYp7xs0M18XmTqxRBDFgNQBI9F4%2BR2HElMpAQ1kyfdkYxC%2F%2F%2BRhee2iVrMjEGowk3CGFx4P2uN78Y%2F5EWzulV9v6KLmsqMm77n4dMtTC%2Bqeni8cj0n5T4gHRrpY0tYVnM7aQZXsqtt638HpDi%2F%2F1vvL7Iz5r1k3v%2BBTroogTOGf9WLDMVlH4lGsSbpu%2BisCiXpdxy1PUZMVtdMcZfjgz%2BrRhIaKXxKnXV2SM5LqRhjk4DAr5liXmSyR63g9AGbnkj%2BaXNfYEo%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4TF2N-qYg

• Like 1

Well, moving the door skin UP about 1/16" improved it but did not eliminate it. (It makes the pin stripe alignment slightly off.) I see no shiny spots where anything has been rubbing. I've had the door skin off 6 times, so far. This is crazy but it seems to be an interference with the door skin. I drove it down the road with the door skin off and it didn't seem to do it. <sigh>

Edited by Rockable (see edit history)

The felt wears out in the upper portion of the felt channel. top of the door. Crack the glass down just slightly just so it is not pressed against the top of the channel. I am betting the noise will be gone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crowvet said:

The felt wears out in the upper portion of the felt channel. top of the door. Crack the glass down just slightly just so it is not pressed against the top of the channel. I am betting the noise will be gone.

You may be right. You can't examine it without removing the glass.............and the door skin again.  ☹️

I think the U channels (fuzzy) that guides the side window up and down is worn and the glass is rattling against the metal of the U channel. Is there a supplier that has these readily available? What is the correct name? 

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rockable said:

I think the U channels (fuzzy) that guides the side window up and down is worn and the glass is rattling against the metal of the U channel. Is there a supplier that has these readily available? What is the correct name? 

Thanks

Steele Rubber Products. Upper Division Post Run Channel Set. I did this on my car several years ago. I did a write up in the ROA Riview magazine. That may be helpful for you. Off the top of my head I don't recall which issue. I will check.

Bill

12 hours ago, Rockable said:

Thanks! Please let me know what issue it was.

Not listed under tech articles. To find articles that have been published in the Riview go to "Index of Articles". This article was found under Body-Paint-Exterior then click on Weather Stripping/Glass. My write up was in the March/April 2019 issue. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions. 

Bill

Well, this is getting really aggravating. I removed the door panel 2 more times today. I tightened up everthing and even adjusted the front of the glass upwards a little. I also spent a lot of time stuffing thin cardboard strips into all of the various positions of "anti rattle" fuzzy strips, both inside and outside the door. The cardboard strips did nothing to calm the clank clank. So, I walked away for a little while. 

I can't replicate the rattle by slapping on the door, glass or anything else. I have to ride down a rough road to test it. WHEN I find out what it is, I will post my findings.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rockable said:

I have to ride down a rough road to test it.

Good day.

As a last resort, maybe just stay on smooth roads…😀

Seriously, I feel your pain, chasing the sounds that haunt us can be a drag. Good luck.

later,

A suggestion would be to pack the doors cavity full with something like batten used for upholstery. Make sure whatever tou use have some thickness to make the effort worthwhile. If the noise stops then pull some of the batten out. Start at either the front or the back. Keep going till you have success. If the noise is there with a full cavity then look at other sources. 

Have you had someone else help with listening for the noise?

Ray

• Like 1

I had a rattle that was close to what you are describing. I took the door panel and door skin off, but nothing was apparent. The other door panel off at the time and noticed that there was a quarter inch or three eighths inch thick strip of foam glued to the door structure just above the inside door handle. It looked factory. The other side had a shadow of where its foam was originally attached. I stuck some foam to the shadow, put it back together and the rattle was gone. The foam took up some of the slop between the two surfaces and cure the noise.  

Also, occasionally I will put my wife to work with a long fuel hose riding in a car and listening through the hose for the noise. She is very good at it.

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ytr1903 said:

I had a rattle that was close to what you are describing. I took the door panel and door skin off, but nothing was apparent. The other door panel off at the time and noticed that there was a quarter inch or three eighths inch thick strip of foam glued to the door structure just above the inside door handle. It looked factory. The other side had a shadow of where its foam was originally attached. I stuck some foam to the shadow, put it back together and the rattle was gone. The foam took up some of the slop between the two surfaces and cure the noise.  

Also, occasionally I will put my wife to work with a long fuel hose riding in a car and listening through the hose for the noise. She is very good at it.

Tom

I will certainly look for that. It's got to be something simple like that but finding it has been a pain. The rubber hose idea is a good one, as well. I do that myself but never thought of giving one to my wife, who has pretty good hearing.

What about linkage rods for the door latch and lock mechanism.  I have seen those with loose connections that can cause a rattle; typically when closing the door.  You could temporarily tape those joints with masking tape to eliminate them as a possibility.

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

What about linkage rods for the door latch and lock mechanism.  I have seen those with loose connections that can cause a rattle; typically when closing the door.  You could temporarily tape those joints with masking tape to eliminate them as a possibility.

Those were the first things I checked. I am going to put new fuzzy in and see if that helps. Still not convinced that's it but the one in the DS, the one that doesn't rattle, is shot.

• Like 1

If you have an emblem in the door panel, I have the black background Riviera written in the circle in my "wood panel" on. my 63. Another long shot, but. maybe a bullseye.  If you give the emblem in the door panel some tape over the emblem to see if you can isolate movement, if any. that is what was rattling in my "wood" panel.

Turbinator

Healed! I got my buddy Richard to ride with me this morning and in less than a minute, he said the rattle is at the top rear of the glass. Once I knew that, all I had to do was adjust the rear glass run and problem solved. My wife just doesn't understand this stuff well enough to diagnose noises across the car for me. Get an experienced buddy to ride with you! It will save a lot of time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Edited by Rockable (see edit history)
  • Like 2