1968 AMC AMX $6,000

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

390 four speed for 6k will probably find a home.

Yes.  I wanted you to see this.  I love it.  But I probably can’t come up with $5500 fast enough to beat the AMX crowd that communicates these finds.  

Key here is 390 and 4 speed. And black on black.  If this was a 68 Chevelle 396 4 speed, it would be $35,000.   Like I said, I’d buy it in 5 seconds if I had $5500 in savings.  I have $1,000.  

• Like 1

I bought one brand new in April of '68. The best thing I ever did with it was SELL it (when it was just a year old). Real POS mechanically and cosmetically. 

Maybe if you dump $100k into this one, you'd have a dependable car, maybe not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, f.f.jones said:

I bought one brand new in April of '68. The best thing I ever did with it was SELL it (when it was just a year old). Real POS mechanically and cosmetically. 

Maybe if you dump $100k into this one, you'd have a dependable car, maybe not.

I believe you.  The Cord 810/812 was similar.  Horrible as a real car but cool as a collectible.

• Like 1

Yes, looks like blue is the color. It’s just rare to find a complete AMX - or any iconic muscle car - for sale at a reasonable price. 

I don’t follow AMX pricing but every time I saw one featured in a magazine I would look and decide pricing was too high for me.  Seemed like they had a strong following.  

Looks like original color was “Big Bad Blue”. 390, 4 speed. First year AMX. That’s some good boxes checked. 

I wonder if it has the “Go Package”.

My sister had a ‘68 Javelin back in the day. Loved that car and have occasionally been tempted by a Javelin or AMX. 

This one is a big project but might be worth doing for someone who likes the challenge. I hope someone saves it. AMC did a lot with a little and these cars represent that well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Looks like a decent project to me. I have seen worse cars brought back with a lot fewer (harder to find) parts in tact. 

Just nobody doing projects anymore so there are more and more folks who see a project car posted and tear it to shreds.  It's a different world from when I grew up in the 70's and 80's and garages on Friday nights in summer were lit up with men working on cars while wives played cards in the kitchen.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Just nobody doing projects anymore so there are more and more folks who see a project car posted and tear it to shreds.  It's a different world from when I grew up in the 70's and 80's and garages on Friday nights in summer were lit up with men working on cars while wives played cards in the kitchen.  

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s my dad would go out in the garage every week day night after dinner and work on his cars.  He often had a paid helper who was a professional machinist or mechanic working a side gig with him for 5 bucks an hour.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2023 at 10:54 AM, alsancle said:

When I was a kid in the 60s and 70s my dad would go out in the garage every week day night after dinner and work on his cars.  He often had a paid helper who was a professional machinist or mechanic working a side gig with him for 5 bucks an hour.

82221C20-91CA-4F5A-AE84-79B59EF62B56.jpeg.5f24e7c96c8467706797a9089dedf1da.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes not uncommon in my town either in those days.  Bill Hall, who founded the Model A Restorer's club (1953, same year as CCCA I believe) actually taught antique auto restoration as a continuing ed class at my high school in the late 70s. 

I plan on restoring my A roadster upon retirement which is now in sight at least, but still a few years out.  I wouldn't get into anything now as I know it wouldn't progress in anywhere near a satisfactory manner.

Time is the ultimate luxury and most of us never seem to have enough of it for whatever reasons.  If you follow restoration threads it seems recent retirees have some nice projects underway/done.  Good inspiration..