HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

ILIKECARS53

For 25 years my dad and I would attend the Mid State Auto Club in Massachusetts car show on Father's day at a HS in Fitchburg Ma.  This was about a 40 minute leisurely back road drive for us.    A well attended show with the usual variety of stuff.  My dad had a lot of friends in that area so it was always fun for him.    Then we would go to a diner and have lunch.    Way more fun than mother's day.

Lockdowns came and the show was canceled and has not returned.   Such a shame.  I searched last night to find a show and the nearest one is probably 90 minutes away and not back roads.

• Thanks 1

For many of us it was our Father's who put up with their eccentric son's desires for older cars and supported us in our happiness when we were around them and even joined in to share the joy to go see them, drive them, work on them. It is a bond of great proportions that was everlasting when they were here with us, an remains as an example for us to this day.

Thanks for the new thread!  Today I’m driving my 1963 (icon) Chevrolet Greenbrier from Kalamazoo to the Wisconsin Dells for the Corvair International Convention.  Drove 807 to get to the Gilmore Car Museum for the Franklin Ride-a-Long on Friday and the Air Cooled Gathering yesterday!  Currently having lunch at a Culver’s in Stevensville MI.  C56E06B8-8438-481A-A039-E8016FB64943.jpeg.3fb18c041be03cf0a676119770f60e49.jpegA1C31A29-6C53-46C9-A8DA-0C97D06706B8.jpeg.94f759f4fbbb08e80aba1be43bada8ee.jpeg

• Like 6

I'm sure he did not intend to, but my father's successful but dangerous car repair exploits inspired an almost 65 year obsession with all things automotive in me. He was also very interested in prewar big classics and took us to many Chicago area car shows. Thanks Dad!

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043 (3).jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

• Like 9

Although my dad left this world 43 years ago, he encouraged me as a youngster to be mechanical.  We took apart (and put back together!) bicycle hubs, lawn mower engines, and fixed lots of stuff around the house.  He wasn't a car guy but had respect for those who liked cars (new & old).

An interesting story:  In the later 1930s, my father, just out of high school, worked for a Packard dealer in the western part of Long Island, NY (Nassau County). Among other things, he prepped cars which had been sold.  Evidently, it was common to drive new cars to other local dealers and swap them for potential sale.  When dad was dating my mom, he would pick up a brand new Packard on a Sunday morning, drive across the river to Hackensack, NJ and pick up my future mom.  They would go for a drive and then drop the car off at the other dealer on Long Island.  The other new Packard would then be driven back to the first dealer.  This was on the up & up.  However, both dealers did disconnect the speedometer cables...!  What a thrill it must have been...!

Thanks for the inspiration, Dad...

Paul

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)
  • Like 4

The local St. Thomas , Ontario Lions Club hosts an annual Father's Day car show in beautiful Pinafore Park. My wife and I attended with our '78 GMC Caballero. I don't know how many cars were there, probably at least 600. Of all the cars there, a sweet little '64 Pontiac Acadian Beaumont convertible caught my eye more than anything else. An unusual Nash pickup was seen, too. I don't know the back story on it. Perhaps a modified sedan for dealer use. Also present was this nice '53-'54 Corvette.

Having my son and grandson stop by was also a highlight !

1964 Pontiac Acadian convertible 2023-06-18.JPG

1964 Pontiac Acadian convertible rear 2023-06-18.JPG

1928 Nash pickup 2023-06-18.JPG

1953-54 Corvette 2023-06-18.JPG

• Like 2

For many years in the '60's my gear head friends and I would trek from the SF Bay Area down to Pomona in Southern CA for the annual Father's Day LA Roadsters show and swap meet. It has a nearly 60 year history. The swap meet includes all manner of automobilia and is attended by thousands from all over the west and far beyond. If I didn't live almost 2000 miles away, I'd be there this weekend.

About West Coast's Largest Car Show| Pomona Swap MeetThe Pomona Swap Meet is a So-Cal Tradition for Car FanaticsThe Pomona Swap Meet & Classic Car Show - Sunday, August 11th

• Like 2

My dad was a High School shop teacher and a vintage car lover. Our family was always doing fun stuff. Thanks for the sacrifice Dad!

dad giving me the keys to his first car last year. He got it from the original owner in 1948. I will pass it along in the family when I can no longer drive it 

04D102DB-04A8-4FEE-B713-BDE3113F1133.jpeg.4ec32fa6501c8dd124e43815e806680a.jpeg

dad teaching me brother and I how to do a brake job. We were 8-9 years old.

I could drive the Jeep by myself at 5-6 years old 

Thanks Dad 

82D22BC5-80A9-4369-A0CE-789C5978B566.jpeg.afde6d452945ab17c5ab927e97eb5723.jpeg

• Like 3

My Dad has been gone now for nearly 13 years. I loved him dearly but he did not understand my obsession with trucks, cars, motorcycles and anything else with an internal combustion engine. He would fuss about the mess I made on the carport when working on my bicycle or later on, mini bikes and motorcycles. He would have loved for me to have gotten into sports but I never had more than a smidgen of interest in the stick and ball stuff. Even my maternal Grandfather once came to my home for a visit. He looked around at the old cars and tractors sitting around and only said, "you sure have a lot of junk!". My Paternal grandfather was a welder, pipe-fitter and all-around mechanic. Unfortunately he died in an accident when I was three. To this day I really have no idea where I got my interest in all things automotive but I was hooked at a very early age. I do thank the ones who did encourage me in those early years and for the ones that do to this day, many right here on this forum!

All this is to say; a big thumbs up to all you Dad's out there that nurture and encourage your children and/or other youngsters in the hobby, or whatever their interest may be for that matter. 👍

• Like 1

Happy Father’s Day , I have been going to car shows since I was 2 years old . 

Happy Father’s Day to my father . Today at a Father’s Day car show in. Long Island  and our 1938 Buick century

IMG_1364.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

• Like 2

I spent the morning with my friend picking up his first old car, this 1975 Triumph TR6.   Come to think of it we first met in 1975 in grade three.  You can't see my friend very well sitting in the driver's seat but that's his son looking on, so add two new members to the old car world.  The car was purchased out of a three generation ownership with the father and son that were the current stewards of the car both present when we picked it up.  It was evident that they had taken great care of the car and were happy to see where it was off to on it's next adventure.  

Then it was home for supper with my parents, inlaws and two of our three boys, the third just moved to a new posting in the Armed Forces this week, a short 28 hrs or so drive away.  Add in our new granddaughter and all in all a pretty good day.

20230618_142135 (2).jpg

• Like 3