Looking for a 1900-1905 Crestmobile,other early cars and engines. Leads?

Hi guys. Looking for a 1900-1905 crest crestmobile or small early car reasonably priced. Engines for same including orient, de dion bouton,aster,Thomas, Brennan etc. longuemare carb. Leads appreciated! George Albright Ocala Florida cell 352 843 1624. Weekdays best. Email gnalbright@gmail.com 

2 hours ago, Bill Boudway said:

Hi,

I believe that Mike West has, or had one .

He's on the forum.

Bill, My grandfather paid $50.00 for the car in 1939 . The inflation rate since 1939 is a tad under 4% a year. That would be $1091.23  in purchasing power today. Im sure thats more than  a speculator would pay today. PS- Thanks  for helping out with that  twin six gas tank. Our friend has it cleaned up and on the car I believe.  Mike 

dad with crest at library enlarged.PNG

crestmobile with sam and mike west.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikewest said:

Bill, My grandfather paid $50.00 for the car in 1939 . The inflation rate since 1939 is a tad under 4% a year. That would be $1091.23  in purchasing power today. Im sure thats more than  a speculator would pay today. PS- Thanks  for helping out with that  twin six gas tank. Our friend has it cleaned up and on the car I believe.  Mike 

Wonderful pictures! A longtime friend had one almost identical to that for many years. He passed away over twenty-five years ago. I don't know what became of his Crestmobile. It was said to be a 1901.

10 minutes ago, George Albright said:

Tough crowd on this forum!🙃

But very open and no hidden feelings, they express what they see/feel/experience. Especially those that have been into the early cars for many many decades. No massaging of words to cloud what they may see nor mean. No rhetoric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I bought my first pre-1905 car around 1992,a twin engine racing version of a 1904 Orient Buckboard that is now in the Garlits museum. I gave it to them along with a one off 1904 Simplicity made in Greensburg Indiana. I also gave my one of one 1904 Orient 20 HP four cylinder touring car to the Waltham Museum in Waltham Mass. I have owned six 1903-04 Orient buckboards. And several dozen Orient De Dion bouton and Aster engines. About 15 pre 1905 cars total. I havent owned an early car for awhile. I have off and on wanted a 1900-05 Crest Crestmobile for some time. I have a spare 1900-03 four HP Crest engine in my possession as a backup in case I find a car that I don't want to sell. Virtually all of the above cars were found by me and most were totally off the radar. Yes at least in the 90s and 2,000 you could still find them. Our hobby is obviously changing and with it the demand for some early cars. I love giving stuff to well run museums for others to see and enjoy and learn from, like many of you all. Guess I'm the next dinosaur at age 67! Went to my first Hershey at age 16 in 1972. WOW! what a ride! Go AACA!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Wonderful pictures! A longtime friend had one almost identical to that for many years. He passed away over twenty-five years ago. I don't know what became of his Crestmobile. It was said to be a 1901.

Are you talking about the one Don Hess owned?  Remember seeing that as a basket case.  Later, at Hershey.  I could be wrong but think that car went overseas after he passed away.  Knew Don well.

Terry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Are you talking about the one Don Hess owned?  Remember seeing that as a basket case.  Later, at Hershey.  I could be wrong but think that car went overseas after he passed away.  Knew Don well.

Terry

Terry, I know the name Don Hess, have heard it off and on for many years. But I never knew him and am not really familiar with him in any sense.

The fellow I knew was a local collector living South of San Francisco most of his life. A true gentleman, quiet spoken, by the name of Charley Mewes (I hope I remembered and spelled his name correctly?). He never bragged, but told some great stories if one could get him to talk. I don't know how many collector cars he had, I would guess about twenty, most in very original condition (which I admired!). About half his collector cars were Packards of the 1920s and 1930s. The Crestmobile was I think the earliest car he had by a fair amount. He had it by about 1960 (well before I met him) as I saw film of him driving it at car shows from that timeframe.

He had a beautifully restored American Austin (1932?) roadster which I saw him driving several times. He very often drove one of his 1928 to 1930 Packard sedans, he had a few.

I remember there were a few other antique automobiles that he had.

There was another member of the local club that had an 1899 Osen and Hunt automobile. It was the last survivor of seven cars built by that San Jose California company. The two of them in the early 1960s would sometimes race the two 1900ish cars as a show!

Charley had had serious health issues his entire life, but he never let it keep him down. In addition to his antique automobiles, he raced dragsters in the 1950s and early 1960s! He told a great story about losing the steering linkage at near 150 mph! He lived a full life, passing away in the early 1990s.

Amazing the memories an obscure photo of a 1900ish Crestmobile can bring forth?

• Thanks 1