For Sale: 1946 Studebaker Skyway Champion "Double-Dater" 5-pass Coupe, OD - $14,900 - Shippensburg, PA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1946 Studebaker Skyway Champion "Double-Dater" 5-pass Coupe, OD - $14,900 - Shippensburg, PA
1946 Studebaker Champion - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1946 Studebaker Champion coupe. Original black lacquer paint and metalwork with new upholstery inside (seats, door panels, headliner) which was recently completed. Accessory rear fender skirts. Aftermarket but contemporary back-up lights. Factory fog lights. Factory spotlight. All accessories work. Original radio is included but not installed. Correct wide whitewall bias ply tires in good condition. Heater.  Odometer shows 107,123 miles, but 170 cu. in. L-head six-cylinder engine was recently rebuilt. (Engine is rated at 85 horsepower.) Rebuilt 3-speed manual transmission with overdrive. New clutch and pressure plate. New fuel pump. Auxiliary electric fuel pump.  The car has been used sparingly since these upgrades were completed, and it performs beautifully. You can drive anywhere in comfort at modern highway speeds. Asking $14,900 Contact: no phone listed.

Copy and paste in your email: 259442ad814b33cdb97d0f87e955954e@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1946 Studebaker Skyway Champion "Double-Dater" 5-pass Coupe.
The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states1,285 1946 Studebaker Skyway Champion "Double-Dater" 5-pass Coupes built.

'46 Studebaker Champion PA a.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA b.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA c.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA d.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA e.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA f.jpg

'46 Studebaker Champion PA g.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Elegant! With those narrow C pillars Studebaker was once again years ahead of their 1940s competition.

To each, his own...but I've always preferred the narrow B pillars of the 1939-40 Mercury coupe and the somewhat thicker C pillar. To me, the Studebaker looks bottom heavy, Maybe it's the fender skirts that give it that heavy look. Also, the Mercury's roof (top) extends to a point nearly over the center of the rear wheels while the Studebaker's roof is shorter giving it a somewhat stubbier appearance. (IMHO)

1939 Mercury 8 Sedan-Coupe | Alden Jewell | Flickr

'46 Studebaker Champion PA e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ford40 said:

Forgive me  but what does  ("Double-Dater" ) mean ?

If it was any closer I would be going to look at it.

The car has just enough interior space so that two couples can ride together in the car and go on a “double date”.  We are dating ourselves when we remember a time when those words were commonly used.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, ford40 said:

Forgive me  but what does  ("Double-Dater" ) mean ?

If it was any closer I would be going to look at it.

"Double-Dater" was the cutesy term Studebaker began applying to their Champion coupes with a full-width fixed rear seat for five passengers beginning in 1941.  This same coupe body without either fixed rear seats ("Double-Dater") or the fold-down occasional seat (OS) was the three-passenger Business Coupes.  Seems as if the "Double-Dater" should have been called a four-passenger coupe...

• Like 2

A very attractive car IMO. Surely not one that you see very often. I would love to drive this car. One question, when looking at the "B" pillar in the ad it appears that the pillar is vertical where the photo of the car below it the pillar has a bit of a slant to it. I say this because my '40 Buick has a "B" pillar that has a good slant to it and makes the car look attractive IMO. Skirts look great on this car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingrudy said:

One question, when looking at the "B" pillar in the ad it appears that the pillar is vertical where the photo of the car below it the pillar has a bit of a slant to it.

The green car in the ad is a Mercury. 

The car in the original post is a Studebaker. 😉

• Thanks 1

You'll likely be unique at your "Cars & Coffee"

IMO, the skirts and wide whitewalls add just the right touch in this example

• 3 weeks later...

Great looking car for a decent price if it runs and drives well.

I have never been fond of the late 30's through late 40's cars, but this one is very nice looking to me.