Found a survivor

Im not sure those trucks even came with a rear bumper, would have been an option like what JHB posted. The one on the green truck is interesting, and looks like it takes the term 'step bumper' to a whole new level. I doubt it came from GM. May have been on the truck from the beginning but that doesnt make it stock. Beautiful truck btw.

• Like 3

I agree, I don't think it is stock in any form. I've been around these trucks in some form or fashion most of my life and never saw that style.  Seems like most of them either had another front bumper bolted on back there, a aftermarket bumper or, at least here in my area, a thick steel bumper welded up by the farmer.

But I LOVE the truck. Looks very much like my '52 must've looked at one time..

I agree that the rear bumper was not on the trucks....  Looking at this it does not show a rear bumper option.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Chevrolet/1951_Chevrolet/1951_Chevrolet_Accessories_Price_List/1951 Chevrolet Acc Price List-02.html

Once you get to the site back up to the 1951 Chevy listing and it also shows how to install accessories on the 1951 Chevy vehicles and I don't see a rear bumper there either. 

Neat truck.........I would try and determine how long that bumper has been on it..........if it was done before say.......1970, I would leave it as part of the history of the machine. If it's rather recent......I would go with a factory bumper. Just my 2 cents. Would love to have it as a sunny day driver.........not much better than a cherry pick up that is fairly early. 👍

You my be able to get DOT dates off the extra lights.......ten bucks says the bumper was probably done when they added signals.........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

I was told a farmer bought it new and used it to pull wagons or equipment it was sold at a farm sale around 1960 the last time it was inspected was 1979 and it had 37075 miles then it was stored till approx 2012

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...