Riverside, Ca car show

Everything is outrageously expensive in Calif.

Not only do you get insane fees like this but you get nickeled and dimed to death.

Typical yearly registration fee for a 3/4 ton diesel pickup is over $1k.

6 hours ago, zepher said:

Everything is outrageously expensive in Calif.

Not only do you get insane fees like this but you get nickeled and dimed to death.

Typical yearly registration fee for a 3/4 ton diesel pickup is over $1k.

For non-commercial the annual registration is based largely on vehicle value which, in turn, is based on purchase price. New cars (and trucks) are frightfully expensive at present which is reflected in the registration fees.

Looking around, it seems California is in the middle of the states as far as registration fees are considered: https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/car-registration-fees-by-state

That is an interesting chart. I see my state of California light (Maryland) ranks near the top. NOT surprised.

Does seem a bit much for a car show entry fee. At that rate I would not be attending any. I think $20 which seems to be the going rate around me is high but I still go. Early bird prices usually hit $15 but I never know if I am going until that day. Just about all of the shows I go to have some kind of cause associated with them. How much and if it gets there is not my concern. I put my trust in the organizers. If they dont follow through it can be on their conscience. There are a couple that I know the money goes into the guys pocket directly and I choose not to participate.

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ply33 said:

For non-commercial the annual registration is based largely on vehicle value which, in turn, is based on purchase price. New cars (and trucks) are frightfully expensive at present which is reflected in the registration fees.

Looking around, it seems California is in the middle of the states as far as registration fees are considered: https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/car-registration-fees-by-state

That chart says Calif registration fees are only $64.

Then why did I get charged a $150 registration fee on a 6 year old Kia?  And that does not include all of the other fees, like vehicle taxes, on the total bill.

How many states is the total cost every year to register a 10 year old 3/4 ton diesel truck over a thousand dollars?

For me, a $20 car entry fee is about the limit, and even then I gripe. After all, we're the reason people come to the car show.

Also, I'd like to see a price break or even free admission to older cars. A 25-mile trip to a car show is nothing for a '69 Camaro, but for my 1921 Franklin it requires advance planning to avoid highways. I should be rewarded for bringing a pre-1930 car.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RansomEli said:

I should be rewarded for bringing a pre-1930 car.

There used to be at least two car shows in the NY Metro area decades ago that if you attended in a pre 1930 ( then got bumped to pre 1935, pre 1940) car you got free admission, just because of what you stated. I can understand a club charging a reasonable fee - they have to pay to have flyers made up, sent out, have a plaque made for each participant . Trophies - bought and paid for so the die cast plated tops can gleam in the sun ( no I never ever have my cars judged nor care for that aspect - the whole awards thing)

You are correct - if the car owners don't show up there is no show. DO any shows still give out "goodie bags" to car owners? You remember those - full of key chains, free samples of a lot of stuff, window scrapers for ice and snow, etc.

Received an application yesterday for an upcoming car show here in Northern California with an entry fee of $90.   There are other “extras “ that the car owners can choose to participate in that drive the experience up to an additional $335 per person on top of the original $90 registration fee.   Yes, living in California isn’t for anyone who wants to hold onto their money.  

3 minutes ago, Mark Huston said:

Received an application yesterday for an upcoming car show here in Northern California with an entry fee of $90.   There are other “extras “ that the car owners can choose to participate in that drive the experience up to an additional $335 per person on top of the original $90 registration fee.   Yes, living in California isn’t for anyone who wants to hold onto their money.  

Yes, that's totally California's fault and not a decision made by the organizers.

7 hours ago, RansomEli said:

For me, a $20 car entry fee is about the limit, and even then I gripe. After all, we're the reason people come to the car show.

Also, I'd like to see a price break or even free admission to older cars. A 25-mile trip to a car show is nothing for a '69 Camaro, but for my 1921 Franklin it requires advance planning to avoid highways. I should be rewarded for bringing a pre-1930 car.

I agree, our cars ARE the attraction, so let the general public pay to get in. The annual Prescott Veterans car show was two weeks ago, 45 bucks a car to enter. Think the car owners should get organized!

Over 500 cars and at least that many onlookers. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I went to a show today, $15 admission. At an Elks lodge. OK turnout about 75 cars maybe 4 that would be aaca eligible. But I didnt see parking or anyone there other than car owners that seemed to be spectators. Not much of a revenue source.

• Like 1