Locking down a thread instead of deleting it entirely

Can we please in the future lock down a questionable thread even if it requires a little cleaning up before locking it down.   To entirely delete a thread really seems like powers that be have no respect for the time and effort commenters have put into the threads.  Which in the end means you very likely will lose members or at the least contributors.  I know I contribute much less on here than I used to. 

Can I please have my hour or so of my life back that has now vanished from the most recently deleted thread?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, yachtflame said:

I didn’t open it but can’t figure out why a topic of interest to at least the author would be deleted!!

It devolved into a bunch of political rants. Violated several of the established forum rules

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, CChinn said:

I read the posts in that thread and wish I had that time in my life back. Complete waste of my time 

You have a choice to read what you want.   No one forces you to read something.  Should I go around complaining about all the threads I have no interest in that are on this site.  Some actually in clear violation of rules some of my threads have been deleted for, but have gone on and I'm pretty sure are still going on hundreds of posts later.  I just don't read them and move on.  Who said everything on this site is required reading, It's not,  just to clear that up.  Because you don't like a topic doesn't mean it should be allowed to be discussed. 

If a thread devolved,  take it back to the point before it did and lock it down there.  If it devolved at the very beginning shut it down then,  not days later after several members have contributed to it. 

It takes a whole lot more time to contribute to a thread than it does to skim read it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

The thread in question looked like a BS Party from the get go I NEVER OPENED IT. Thinking some suits in DC want to protect gas powered cars is a fantasy. 

Maybe it would help if you read the post before speculating on what it said. You missed the topic entirely, and now it's too late.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Well, there went another one! ...the conversation about extra horsepower software available from Tesla for $60. a month. Too controversial?  No antique car content?   It sure wasn't political.

How about Death and Taxes, or let's have another go at how we take care of or polishing our sockets. So, it sounds to me like it really is political whether or not something gets kicked off or not.

As auburnseeker says,  Funny we even have to argue about whether we should preserve history. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

I've said before, it's hard to not discuss Gov't and cars at some point since so many things the gov't does affect our cars in one way or another.  I wish they could be completely separated but it really is impossible.  The difference is trying to keep things from being a left versus right and just addressing them as Gov't vs personal ownership and use.  Doesn't matter which party you support,  all of our support should be for personal ownership and use, if the site is really about promoting the automobile and especially preserving history. 

• Like 3

Whenever one person is given absolute authority to destroy a thread things can go wrong. Think back to when Steve destroyed that long, wonderful thread that several members had contributed great information to. Different circumstances but the same problem. Wouldn't it make sense to have at least two responsible parties to have to agree before any total removal and destruction of a thread occurred?

It is one of the reasons I am still sitting on the fence as far as membership renewal is concerned. Family membership goes back to 1960 or 1961. My own membership started in 1971 I believe and has had gaps but fairly consistent the last few years. But the constant renaming, moving and now removing of threads has pretty much destroyed the fun part the forum provided and thus I am beginning to question my support. Local club activity in our area has all but disappeared as far as shows go. The weekly cruise ins are not the same. Sad.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Well, there went another one! ...the conversation about extra horsepower software available from Tesla for $60. a month. Too controversial?  No antique car content?   It sure wasn't political.

The problem is consistency. It's like the parent who lets his children get away with things and then one time unsuspectingly goes off on them for even a lesser offence. That's a sure way to get their respect, a respect they'll remember for a long time. 

Are we connecting??? 

On 4/29/2023 at 9:33 PM, Twisted Shifter said:

Not antique related.

• Thanks 1
On 4/28/2023 at 6:04 PM, auburnseeker said:

Can we please in the future lock down a questionable thread even if it requires a little cleaning up before locking it down.   To entirely delete a thread really seems like powers that be have no respect for the time and effort commenters have put into the threads.  Which in the end means you very likely will lose members or at the least contributors.  I know I contribute much less on here than I used to. 

Can I please have my hour or so of my life back that has now vanished from the most recently deleted thread?  

It became political.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Pfeil said:

The problem is consistency. It's like the parent who lets his children get away with things and then one time unsuspectingly goes off on them for even a lesser offence. That's a sure way to get their respect, a respect they'll remember for a long time. 

Are we connecting??? 

When I see a topic that is partisan its gets removed.  Not sure how thats not consistent. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, vermontboy said:

renaming, moving and now removing

Renaming - I'd like to hear what you find offensive about making the topic title match the topic.  I abhor clickbait.
Moving - there are multiple forums for a reason. Moving topics puts then in the right place.

Removing - When a topic doesn't follow the forum rules they get removed.  

FYI:  There are on average 1,500 new topics per month with 15,000 responses.  Of the 1,500 topics 1% get renamed, moved, or removed.  You make it out to be a systemic problem, it's not. Of the 1% of renamed or moved, its done for general housecleaning and organizing - thats a good thing. 

As to not renewing.  If you find the AACA forums useful generally to you, then supporting the organization that provides it seems logical, at least to me.  But thats your personal decision.

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

When I see a topic that is partisan its gets removed.  Not sure how thats not consistent. 

Just remove the offender's response, and don't offend the rest that have taken the time to contribute and done nothing wrong.  

1 minute ago, Pfeil said:

Just remove the offender's response, and don't offend the rest that have taken the time to contribute and done nothing wrong.  

I do when it's isolated. But when I stumble on a topic littered with political responses then I remove it completely. 

• Like 1