Anyone Ever Hired A Third Party Cash Courier Service To Pay For A Vehicle In Another State ?

Trulyvintage

Several years ago - FedEx ? - used to

allow the shipment of currency between

states - they guaranteed delivery

within a narrow time widow on

a specific day.

I watched the cash delivery 

for a vehicle I was hired to 

pick up and deliver.

FedEx no longer delivers cash.

USPS says they will but

does not advise it.

My personal belief is that 

there is no service that will 

deliver large sums of cash

( 50K plus )

from one state to another.

If there is - the transaction has

to be reported to the required

tax collection agencies by

the courier service.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

The question, I believe, isn't "Why?"

A buyer and a seller must have agreed on that payment.

Now the question is "How?"

Money is transported all the time--between banks,

between countries--for legitimate purposes.  One

auction company uses armored carriers to deliver

high-cost purchases, so maybe that would be an option:

Deliver it to a secure address, such as the seller's bank.

• Like 1

Have I done it? No.

Would I do it? No.

But, it can be done depending on how much hassle and risk one is willing to tolerate...

Send it registered mail, being careful about the amount of cash contained in each envelope. Hint: sending that much cash would take multiple registered mailings. 

I guess you could always send it UPS, FedEx, DHL, whatever overnight and just hope for the best (I think that's insane, but technically it could be done). 

There are companies in the financial services industry that service banks and such that do this kind of thing, but you're going to have to see if they're willing to take on work for an individual. Same for armored transport companies and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if they refuse, but that's where to look, in my opinion. 

Personally, there is no way that I'd move that much cash without doing so in person. I wouldn't even consider mailing it. 

Why wouldn't these guys do wire transfers or something other than trying to mail stacks of cash?

Edited by Scooter Guy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Friend of mine whose name many of you would recognize was tasked with delivering $40k to a seller of an antique car.  Transfer was to take place on a Monday.  Not wanting to leave the cash in his house while he and his wife attended church he put the money in his jacket pocket.  You guessed it, he left his jacket on the pew.  Luckily the pastor recognized the forgotten jacket and returned it to my friend intact.

• Thanks 2

When I was a kid it was a big deal to send a quarter in an envelop. You had to tape it to a piece of cardboard and disguise it carefully. Back then there were a lot of great depression survivors and they couldn't be trusted. Some said most of them would steal anything that wasn't bolted down. I was exposed to the pilferers at an early age. Today I don't have any problem putting a couple of hundred bucks in a letter envelop between sheets of tri-folded paper. I think people are more honest today. I once read an old Erskine Caldwell book that told of a couple plotting to steal turnips from a neighbor. I have seen similar.

I am not in the $40,000 car purchase bracket but two years ago a friend drove me down to Youngstown, Ohio to get a truck I bought, about 300 miles. We took his rough old Ranger pickup. We stopped for a snack at a convenient store in PA. I told him to lock his door. He looked at me questioningly. I told him there was $10,000 in the bag on the floor. He kind of gasped. It was a paper grocery bag with spare jeans, socks, T shirt, underwear, and the money.

My grandfather used to say "Nellie says don't make it ospious." Nellie was Nelson, an employee who sat on a 5 gallon bucket of hot water and used to criticize a lot.

I guess I did grow up a lot less reverent than most.

Money quirks, entertaining when one is aware.Reach in your pocket and take out your folding money. Mine is folded so the ones show on top. There is a reason. What shows on yours? I notice for insight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Friend of mine whose name many of you would recognize was tasked with delivering $40k to a seller of an antique car.  Transfer was to take place on a Monday.  Not wanting to leave the cash in his house while he and his wife attended church he put the money in his jacket pocket.  You guessed it, he left his jacket on the pew.  Luckily the pastor recognized the forgotten jacket and returned it to my friend intact.

I used to carry serious cash if I planned to attend an auction or swap meet.

Decades ago and before cell phones were common, traveling on business, I had to spend several days/nights in Shreveport, Louisiana, and wound up at a discount motel  - one where I at least felt safe and moderately comfortable. As it turned out, there was a convention of ministers taking place and other than my reservation, the entire place was sold out to convention attendees. Considering the possible purchase of a collector car at a swap meet the next week, I had a substantial amount of cash in an envelope, securely stashed in my Suburban. Headed back to the motel after a very long evening's business, I used the drive-thru of a fast food place. Placing my order, and instead of removing the seat belt to reach my wallet, I grabbed the cash envelope, plucked a $100 bill, paid for my order, stuffed the change back in the envelope, put the bag of food on the passenger seat, put the cash envelope on my lap, and drove back to the motel. Fortunately, there was a parking space directly in front of my room. Parked, I heard the phone in the room and rushed in, leaving the room door open to answer what had to be my wife, phoning  to check on me. A minute or two into the call, my wife and I talking through her day, the kids, etc, I heard a booming voice outside: "Praise the Lord, Thank you Jesus !". Knowing the motel's mix of guests at the time I wasn't surprised, and continued the call. Later, I went back to the Suburban to retrieve my dinner and remembered my cash envelope. It wasn't in the regular hiding place. It had been in my lap when I jumped out to answer the phone --  but it was not in the truck - and it wasn't on the ground, It wasn't in my pocket or my room - It Was Gone ! I checked with the motel's desk, and again the following three days, but the cash never turned up. The motel manager asked me if I had heard anything, and thinking back, all I could relate was the booming  "Praise the Lord, Thank you Jesus !". The manager helped me understand that one of the guests, all ministers other than myself, likely decided the envelope was a divine gift to him. I never saw any of that cash again. I've found better ways to secure cash, but generally depend on wire transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 1978 I purchased a partially restored 29 Cadillac at a significant discount because the owner was going through a divorce.  As part of the deal I had to deliver cash to a friend of the owner in Virginia.  I will never forget the anxiety of going through airport security carrying 25K in 100 dollar bills in my briefcase.  After finishing the restoration and showing the car in 7 or 8 AACA national meets I sold it at the Leake auction.  When it came time to settle I was called into the business office and the buyer went out to his motor home and came back with a Wheaties box containing 100K in cash.  The only time I ever bought and sold a car for cash and wouldn't do it today.

Isn't there a way to wire the money to a bank in the area where you are buying the car and then go to the bank with the seller and finish the transaction there?

Or get a bank check from a bank near you that also has a local bank branch in the sellers town.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

"Praise the Lord, Thank you Jesus !".

For some reason some of my worst dealings were with men of the cloth.

Not so much dishonest, but horrible quality and no remorse when called out on it.

(Paint jobs)

On one occasion the preacher (His name was DeAngelo) put some young kid to rough up my car with a DA. This was a work trade, I built him an engine.

The stupid kid sanded all the stainless around every window, lots of the glass, lots of the chrome etc. literally ruining what was a pretty nice car.

He says he didn't do it, the kid did. Talk about throwing the poor sap under the bus.

On another occasion a local preacher wanted me to donate a ski boat to his ministries so that he could take the kids water skiing.

I thought that kinda ballsy.

I am not a particularity religious guy, but I am comfortable with who I am. I was raised up in a church going home and recall some good memories of all that.

But I won't do business with any of those guys anymore.

By the way, the town I live in has more churches per capita (or at least used to) of any other US city.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1