1940 Buick Century $6,995

Not mine, but if you want to get into the old car hobby and your  budget is 5-6 grand, there is a lot to love here........

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/741268817722014/

Ran great 3 years ago when put in garage. Hasn’t run since. Doesn’t start right now. 3 speed on column. Solid body with some bubbles in paint. Great interior. Chrome in good shape. Exact mileage is unknown.

image.png.2582d51b4b1c92acc488053a90e12492.png

image.png.cd24d137c3d1ae177b238734a169043c.png

image.png.d3079b2bd24a8c121d609f6f86dee5d5.png

image.png.7208e0c384f36b6e8a2151100fcce449.png

image.png.45bd7a00ed2f1714590d1168816552f2.png

image.png.e82990abe8e678bbb9152853bc542b9c.png

image.png.7489087d4ef9ae4235934c12e02a830a.png

image.png.8b8ef7d2e04780d11845f022dbf89904.png

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Should sell within 72 hours of ad placement.  Nice start into the hobby, room for 3 or 4 kiddies in back, just make them finish the ice cream outside, that interior looks ok for a famy cruiser.

Those were my thoughts too Steve.  There are some things that could make it even nicer and if a guys buys it for 5,500....he could tackle some jobs as funds became available.  These cars have a reputation for cruising easily at highway speed.  I'd love to see a young person with a family jump into the prewar era with this car.  It could provide lots of fun very economically.  

• Like 4

Wow, that was quick.  I think when I saw it this morning it had been listed for 10 hours.

prewar, split window, Buick quality and club support, reasonable paint and interior..... for 6 grand. 

I wish I had bought that car in my early 20’s and gotten some exposure to this era. 

• Like 4

A great pre-war car for anyone at a great price.  Has some things that can be worked over time to make it more correct, or just drive and maintain it as-is.  These cars ride and drive like more modern cars (i.e., '50s or '60s) and the big 320 straight-eight will cruse at 60 mph day long.  Hopefully whoever bought it will show-up here sometime soon...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

These cars ride and drive like more modern cars (i.e., '50s or '60s) and the big 320 straight-eight will cruse at 60 mph day long.

In total agreement with that statement. I have a 1940  Roadmaster model 71c ( same 320 cu in engine) and the car has never had the engine opened up since it was new, has less then 55,000 miles on it and Doug Seybold did a major "tickle" to make sure all of the mechanicals were in good order. Very powerful cars, and like an occasional hi sped run to get all the cobwebs out of the system.

• Like 4

What is it with these damn fuzzy dice? Half the cars posted here have these wretched things hanging from the mirror. If I bought an old car and it had fuzzy dice, I'd hand them back to the seller before I drove away.

Either that, or I'd throw them out the window as soon as I turned the corner. 

• Like 3

I have always felt the same way about those stupid things! As far as I could tell, they were a very short-lived fad sometime in the 1950s. I actually remember seeing a few when I was about five! Then in the 1970s, hobbyists into modern "collector" cars went nuts for them! 

I have never really been into postwar cars myself, so never was even tempted to want a set. However, I tend to lump them into a similar category as I do after-market wire wheels and fancy step plates on model T Fords. More hobbyists running them that way today than probably people did when the model T was just a practical car! Yes they do show up in era photos occasionally, less than one T out of a couple hundred!

Probably a hundred times as many fuzzy dice sold to collector car hobbyists in the recent forty years than were ever sold in the 1950s! I don't think I could keep a set if someone gave them to me!  And please. Don't a whole bunch of people give me some and try to shame me into keeping them?

• Like 2

On 4/11/2023 at 5:38 AM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Should sell within 72 hours of ad placement.  Nice start into the hobby, room for 3 or 4 kiddies in back, just make them finish the ice cream outside, that interior looks ok for a famy cruiser.

When I was in High School my father really got after me because he discovered a spot of ice cream about the size of a pin head on the door card of his car after I borrowed it.

• Like 1