Looking for 1st Gen Replacement Carpet - CHEAP!

XframeFX

My new red carpet is ruined. Trying to dry the rear carpet as I have no intention struggling with that console again. So looking for the front only.

Looking for the cheapest Nylon Loop out available. This will be my 3rd set as the supplier of the 1st set basically sold me garbage.

Stock Interiors will only sell all 3 pieces for $217 USD. Looking for cheaper and for front only.

I know to stay away from Original Parts Group.

Clarks do sewn-in molding and source outside for heat molded loop. Don't care, whichever is cheapest.

Any recommendations for nylon loop carpet with thick backing from recent purchases?

TX.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Order the ACC carpet kit from Factory Interiors and don't use the back carpet piece. Toss it.

https://www.factoryinteriors.com/wn-product/1963-1965-buick-riviera-carpet-replacement-loop-complete-fits-2dr-auto-8244/

These guys always have the ACC carpet at a good price.

• Thanks 1

Only as another source for comparison is SMS. They have a lot of material goods.

If I were looking for the least expensive route I’d take my sample carpet piece to a retail carpet store. Tell the salesperson what grade you are looking for. Match up the color and thickness. Buy what you need. Take the piece to the shoe maker for binding. They sew up and repair all kinds of items in my area. You may have a sewing machine that can do the job. Of course use your old stuff as a pattern to cut what you need. Just my Depression Era thinking again.

Turbinator

I checked and found Servpro is in Canada. A location near you should be able to happily restore your damaged carpet.

I had experience with the company when it was Service Master back in the 1990s and a friend had them clean a '56 Cadillac limo with amazing results. It is a good company and from my experience committed to their work.

If they don't work out ACC has some really low prices if you shop. I was surprised at the price range of their products

3 hours ago, dr914 said:

info@stockinteriors.com.   the best in factory riviera duplicate carpeting for first generation

Thanks All,

My previous 2 carpets sets all required added value or corrections at a local upholstery shop. I'm tempted to throw the original 60 year old carpets back in but I removed the heel-pad to replace a cut-down heel pad with 2 round corners and 2 square corners on the 1st online purchase. Thin carpet, missing binding too. Reflective of what they sent, garbage!

Looks like ACC/Stock interiors are it if I can convince them to install binding as original. Also, will try to get them to ship w/o the rear carpet to save on shipping.

Otherwise Clarks.

It's been a few years but Clarks was a near perfect fit for my '65. I also went for Clarks trunk carpet kit w full tire cover, all nicely bound & very well made. Not original, I know, but does justice to the Riv's elegant interior. Makes you want to climb in & sneak into the drive-in if there was one. & if you can imagine being in your trunk while someone else drives your Riv. not my wife!           never mind

3 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Clarks was a near perfect fit for my '65

I have their 2023 catalogue. Perfect timing. Page of colour samples. Turns out, identical to my computer monitor.

So, would prefer their sewn carpets for the front. But of the 3 Reds, a 4th red for molded carpet only is a better match.

Which one did you purchase for your '65?

They say their sets are accurate. Does that mean no trimming required?

I got the sewn set. To the best of my recollection it was very accurate. I don't remember having to do any trimming. However I did have a time getting the creases out from being "folded" up & stuffed in a box. nevertheless, I've always been satisfied w my many purchases from Clarks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:12 PM, XframeFX said:

I have their 2023 catalogue. Perfect timing. Page of colour samples. Turns out, identical to my computer monitor.

So, would prefer their sewn carpets for the front. But of the 3 Reds, a 4th red for molded carpet only is a better match.

Which one did you purchase for your '65?

They say their sets are accurate. Does that mean no trimming required?

I ordered cut and sewn from Clarks last September and they look excellent. Price of kit was reasonable compared to the other options I looked at. Shipping into Canada is always the fun part. I have used your guidance on labeling shipments using Tariff 9966.00.00 for relief on duties. 

Good luck with the project. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrAG Riv said:

Good luck with the project.

Andrew, with my heater core "barfing" on 3 sections of my new carpet (front both sides and passenger rear), I've realized every single Buick I have owned has been BAD LUCK. Not so with other projects.

I have owned this Riviera for so long that I will make the Heater Core Honor Roll twice for the same car!

Many things on my Riv has been a 3X affair. Can't make much progress when I have to re-address the same issue over and over . . . . .

New leather seat skins on my repaired seat? Well with my head under the dash and feet in the air, SNAP! My repaired seat is now unrepaired. On and on . . .

Fun stuff like swapping out the Dynaflow continuously has to wait. Lately because the Timing Chain is a ticking time bomb. But no, my camshaft needs to be dealt with as well. ST400 will never happen at this rate.

Good thing the numerous other issues escape me for the moment. So, I'll end my venting right here and now!

GOOD LUCK!

10 hours ago, MrAG Riv said:

I have used your guidance on labeling shipments using Tariff 9966.00.00 for relief on duties. 

As a fellow Ontarian, feel like elaborating? I feel like every time I order parts, I end up paying double or more after tariff, exchange rate etc. 

1 hour ago, XframeFX said:

Andrew, with my heater core "barfing" on 3 sections of my new carpet (front both sides and passenger rear), I've realized every single Buick I have owned has been BAD LUCK. Not so with other projects.

I have owned this Riviera for so long that I will make the Heater Core Honor Roll twice for the same car!

Many things on my Riv has been a 3X affair. Can't make much progress when I have to re-address the same issue over and over . . . . .

New leather seat skins on my repaired seat? Well with my head under the dash and feet in the air, SNAP! My repaired seat is now unrepaired. On and on . . .

Fun stuff like swapping out the Dynaflow continuously has to wait. Lately because the Timing Chain is a ticking time bomb. But no, my camshaft needs to be dealt with as well. ST400 will never happen at this rate.

Good thing the numerous other issues escape me for the moment. So, I'll end my venting right here and now!

GOOD LUCK!

Hey John, that’s rough. Sorry hear about the troubles. For me as well the list never seems to get shorter. Replaced rope rear main seal and it continues to weep. Need to do front wheel bearings as they now “crunch” on turns. Parasitic battery drain to track down. And on it goes. I have yet to experience the dreaded heater core and I’m not looking forward to it. 

For me, I’ve reconciled this as a hobby. I tell myself if I actually had everything on the car perfectly sorted, I’d probably look for another one to sort. 

Thinking happy thoughts for you Sir. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riv Eng said:

As a fellow Ontarian, feel like elaborating? I feel like every time I order parts, I end up paying double or more after tariff, exchange rate etc. 

I think it was XframeFX that hipped me to the Antique Car and Articles import memo here … https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d10/d10-15-20-eng.html

Check out the section on “Articles”. 

• Like 2