Gasoline Vacuum Tank(s)

pkhammer

Ok, I know what a Gasoline Vacuum tank is but what I need to be schooled on is this; Were there specific tanks for specific cars are are they kind of universal? The one pictured below says "Stewart Gasoline Vacuum System" on a cast end. Most I have (I have 10 or 11 laying around) are just sheet metal with no markings that I see. How do I identify what they go to?

103_0218.JPG

103_0219.JPG

103_0220.JPG

possibly post a photo here but with all measurements that you can get and ask people to look at the ones that are fitted to their cars.  Maybe two at a time so not to overwhelm the moderators/site/etc. The more details you give the better response. The tank may have been used by more then one manufacturer for their cars.

• Like 2

The frequently cracked and broken piece is the pot metal lid.

Because the operation is all the same, the design of each lid pretty much is too. (slight differences in style and size)

Since it must hold a vacuum it is common to find them repaired with JB weld.

The inner and outer tanks survive well and unless your vehicle is missing one completely the original parts on a car can typically be made functional. 

For a concours restoration I guess you must have the correct one. I think for touring type vehicles you piece one together that fits and gets the job done. 

I guess my point is that a collection like this is probably more for mixing and matching parts to make a working unit, than for exact replacements. 

• Like 2

Out of eleven, five had cast pot metal lids. Out of those five three appeared to be ok with no visible cracks or breaks. Those three were sold to a forum member. Out of the other six, two were beat up and missing parts and two had obvious weld/solder repair to the bottoms. That left two with tin lids which I gave a light glass-bead blast. After blasting those two I could see "Stewart-Warner" on the lid. They look ok except for a couple of pin holes in the bottoms. Can that be repaired or are they junk?

Stutz SV16 and Blackhawk from 1929 until the end also used the Kingston tank, a little larger than what Chrysler used.

D Feeney,

I hate to disagree with you, but I have restored seven 1925 to 1928 Chrysler cars and every one of them has Stewart autovacs as original equipment. In hundreds of pictures I have of Chryslers of this era, they all have Stewart ones.

• Like 1