1941 Chrysler Highlander convertible coupe - $38,000

I love the interior on these. I don't know about the price given the condition. More pics in ad

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/santa-barbara-1941-chrysler-highlander/7593648541.html

Older restoration leaning into #2 quality. It's been garaged for about 10 years since last drive around town. We've started it up on occasion regularly just to idle. It takes a little coaxing to get that first start going. Prior to storage, the car drove around town as pleasant as can be (have not tested on freeway or long distance drives). Transmission is a clutch with the "Fluid Drive". Many and all things gone through when restored years ago; engine rebuilt, transmission serviced, brakes done, fuel system rebuilt, gas tank brand new, electrical rewired, chrome re-chromed years ago, EVERYTHING done so the previous owner could enjoy a nice drive. (Except the radio, that's in place but never tested or serviced.)
There's light age showing. Minor chips in paint from normal use; some peeling in chrome here and there on bumpers hard to see; car presents itself well. Current as of today drive state largely untested; drove when last garaged. All above resto work done, then car was parked.
There's light age showing. Minor chips in paint from normal use; some peeling in chrome here and there on bumpers hard to see; car presents itself well. Current as of today drive state largely untested; drove when last garaged. All above resto work done, then car was parked.
. email: b18c9be6d6533f46b015e57ee1cc6a6f@sale.craigslist.org

00C0C_jLy6gN44LxR_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00o0o_2ya32cgZQgi_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00R0R_krdwrag3MLa_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00d0d_3zUpHOKtudx_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00h0h_laoojlhXgAQ_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_5qxqnPSwFNL_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00P0P_5P7LrteLRLp_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg00t0t_31zBQmOITgB_0CI0pQ_600x450.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
delete repeat (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Yes, the red plaid was an optional Chrysler feature, 

called the "Highlander" (of Scottish style) interior, even

into the 1970's, though the plaid varied a bit over the years.

For this particular car, the marbled red on the interior--

dashboard, center of steering wheel, tops of door panels--

is plastic.  Other color schemes would have other colors of

plastic.  Over the years, this plastic deteriorated badly,

so for this car, the plastic elements are certain to be reproductions.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new gas tank was put in 10 years back and then they started it occasionally over those 10 years.  Probably with the old gas?  I'm not sure they were doing any favors by doing occasional idles in the garage which causes moisture accumulation in the exhaust system.  Too bad they didn't take it out for a drive while they were going through the effort of starting it.

• Like 1

Great car!

Agree the stunning interior (especially the wild dash/steering wheel plastic) might look better with a more subdued paint color.

Looks like the seller tried to pick up a few pointers reading Matt Harwood's excellent descriptors.

Seller should've made the effort to get it running right. Then it might be closer to justifying the asking price.

Was Highlander a model name in 1941, or just a trim level? Cloth upholstery doesn't seem to make much sense in a convertible; maybe that's why they're rare?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, suchan said:

Was Highlander a model name in 1941, or just a trim level? Cloth upholstery doesn't seem to make much sense in a convertible; maybe that's why they're rare?

I believe the Highlander was just an upholstery option during the duration of these models put out by Chrysler. In  the convertibles, the bolsters were leather, in the sedans, such as mine the bolsters were Bedford cord.

C2A0175F-25C2-4223-A6D3-8044AE4871F9.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Over the years, this plastic deteriorated badly,

so for this car, the plastic elements are certain to be reproductions.

I have never seen reproductions available for the '41 plastic, so I'm not sure you're correct.  Yes, it is rare to see dash plastic in such good shape on these models, particularly the piece over the radio grill.  But my guess is that this plastic is original.  These cars aren't for everybody, as reflected in the comments, but I personally love them, having owned a Windsor sedan with the same exterior color and Highlander interior as Jeff's New Yorker.

• Like 3

My brother bought one like that, yellow, plaid interior, white top but it looked much worse the seats were torn as was the top torn and dirty. But he only paid $49 for it. It ran for about 6 months then died. He barely knew how to put gas in it. So my other older brother and I took it apart. We stopped after taking the head off it and seeing it only have 4 cylinders. 
dave s 

I agree plaid isn't for everyone. Interesting that that's what Tesla calls their top model in each type. Here's the interior of the Mercedes that sold for $142.7 Million: 

Mercedes just sold the most expensive car in the WORLD for $142.7 million –  Supercar Blondie

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neil morse said:

I have never seen reproductions available for the '41 plastic...    

Neil, do you know of other years?

I know they have been reproduced for some years like this.

Plastic tends not to be a product with great longevity---

all the plastic in King Tut's tomb turned to powder 2999 years ago!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Neil, do you know of other years?

I know they have been reproduced for some years like this.

When I had my '48, there were reproductions available of the clear plastic knobs and the inserts for the folding crank handles for the windows (terrible design -- they broke very easily).  However, there were no reproductions for the colored plastic panels on the dash.  Things may have changed since this was almost 40 years ago.  If you "know" that the marbled plastic pieces for the '41 have been produced for some years, then you know more that I do!  If this car has reproduction plastic, it looks like very high quality.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 10:08 AM, neil morse said:

I have never seen reproductions available for the '41 plastic, so I'm not sure you're correct.  Yes, it is rare to see dash plastic in such good shape on these models, particularly the piece over the radio grill.  But my guess is that this plastic is original.  These cars aren't for everybody, as reflected in the comments, but I personally love them, having owned a Windsor sedan with the same exterior color and Highlander interior as Jeff's New Yorker.

‘41 was reproduced for a while.  There were adverts in the Walter P Chrysler newsletter.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 5:14 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

People have mentioned repro also exists for the 39 Chrysler dash plastic but I think it is like a sasquatch sighting.

39 Chrysler dash plastic had to be vacuuum molded onto the metal for those that reproduced it, as I understand.