Antique chassie swap for van life project

calvintrew

Hi! 

I'm interested in doing a chassie swap with a vintage frame to convert for van life! So far as it's possible. I've been looking into antique frames and been loving the metros and divco milk trucks. I love anything with a round body. I'm struggling to find models with interior standing height (around 6 ft) and spacious interior dimensions for converting. Any suggestions on fun vintage vans/bus models of good size and aesthetics for my project?

Dodge van perhaps would work.  My late father in law had one way back as h his Snap-on route truck.  Back in the late 1960s a Dodge bakery truck from the mid 1960s used to deliver to my home.  They usually got worked into the ground so not many survived.

F1020190-BA89-4CB7-A498-5A9577A93263.jpeg

If you mean what I think you mean you should be looking for a delivery van built on a truck chassis. These chassis do not change very much and a body from the fifties could be transferred to a newer chassis without too much hassle.

Here is the style I refer to.

Ready To Restore: 1946 International Metro | Barn Finds57 chevy forward control step van - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck  Message Board Network

It might be easier to keep the chassis frame and change the axles, engine and transmission. You will have to figure that out once you find a suitable candidate.

In any case it will be a LOT of work and expense.

As for where to find one you just have to look around. Lots are still being used for storage sheds on industrial sites and farms and in junk yards. You might find something on Craigslist or Kijiji or other websites. A search might turn up something.

Suggest you be a bit choosy and don't buy one with rust holes or big dents. You may even find one in running and driving condition. I can't see the condition making a big difference in price as they can't be in very big demand. Even if you had to pay a few hundred bucks extra for a nice one it would be worth it.

For anyone who is curious here is the kind of thing he is talking about. Should be possible to have one built for about twice the price of a new motorhome.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37777/special-delivery-this-vintage-step-van-overlander-is-a-ford-f-150-underneath

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

9 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

I take no responsibility for what happens to your bank account from this point forward.

https://bid.mountainvalleyauctions.com/ui/auctions/94835/10532731 

9 hours ago, CarNucopia said:

I take no responsibility for what happens to your bank account from this point forward.

https://bid.mountainvalleyauctions.com/ui/auctions/94835/10532731 

That looks pretty cool!