Stuck broken valve

Mpgp1999

17 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

I plan to clean everything as well as I can. I try to only use tools and methods that are period correct. I.e. original tools, no rtv and no Phillips.

I milled the head at home. I used sandpaper taped to glass and I shaved the head. I used dykem and sanded until there was no blue. The was was fairly flat. 

Progress!!!

Who needs it?

5C611FA2-67BB-4D9D-BC7D-9F0A9FD1BA46.jpeg.70b1d22daf3f71519b754d478d15859d.jpeg
A2E599F1-0087-4847-9BCE-66DCA2DE40D3.jpeg.b1b7d79264d16ad0619853abd3d144f9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nat said:

Installing a bent valve in that engine should be enough to discover that the engine in general and other seven valves in particular need attention.

I bent it myself on accident. 

This video will give you an idea why you can’t have a bent anything in an engine, and it’s running freely with no compression or explosion. Put those 2 into the equation and you can only imagine the load on engine components. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mpgp1999 said:

After cutting the seat I lapped the valve in. I had to shave the stem. 

6A229333-F22E-4962-87CB-8B4800CF2351.jpeg

Oh jeez, tell me you’re not cutting and lapping that valve with everything else exposed.  I don’t think your rings will need extra help bedding in!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RichBad said:

Oh jeez, tell me you’re not cutting and lapping that valve with everything else exposed.  I don’t think your rings will need extra help bedding in!

That’s exactly what I am doing. I’m doing a valve job while the head is off. I cut the bad seat and lapped that valve. I then removed the pin on the other valves so I can lap them in place. 

All the grit from the stones and metal filings is being flung into the cylinders. You should have rags in the cylinders and covering the open valve(s). Any wash down will just get down into the cylinders and sit on the rings. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

All the grit from the stones and metal filings is being flung into the cylinders. You should have rags in the cylinders and covering the open valve(s). Any wash down will just get down into the cylinders and sit on the rings. 

I plan to hone the cylinders. Then wash them with atf. At the time I ground the seat I covered the cylinders with a rag. I just set it up for a photo op. 

Edited by Mpgp1999 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Mpgp1999 said:

I plan to hone the cylinders. Then wash them with atf. At the time I ground the seat I covered the cylinders with a rag. I just set it up for a photo op. 

So, you are going to drop the pan and pull the pistons? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mpgp1999 said:

No. I am trying to touch as little as possible on this car. I’m only going to hone the top part a little bit. The engine was seized. I want to get rid of the marks from the rings. 

So maybe if the engine was seized the rings could possibly just possibly be stuck in the ring grooves. At least there is a chance all the crud, dirt, dust and metal shavings can slip past and get down into the sump so it can go through all the bearings.  

• Like 1

I get the idea of a light hone.

But I think if it were me, I would use the ridge reamer and call it skippy.

I have a feeling that this engine might not run very long anyway without at least pulling the pan, then the pistons so that you could do a light hone and a proper clean up.

Most of these guys that are commenting here are cringing. Rightfully so as we that build an engine on occasion are into clean and precise.

On the other hand, it might run longer than you need it. Who knows.

Best of luck.

• Like 4