Bearing pressing

hidden_hunter

Hi guys,

I’m replacing the wheel bearings in the Cadillac at the moment and wondering about the best way to put the new ones in.

It is a seperate taper bearing and cup, I  have the originals so could tap them in using that but a proper puller would probably be better

What size bushing should I get for the 375 and 3720? Or should I just use the old ones and a drift?

It’s a timken 375 and 3720

C8B10F27-E9A3-4755-A6D1-D486CA0B428D.jpeg

4E21C608-3343-483E-9AFA-9304934C99EB.jpeg

68890E5A-244A-47D3-BD95-B4A40804C60A.jpeg

88E58F8F-FF1B-4983-81FF-3AA72423CB0A.jpeg

I put my parts in the freezer for an hour also or pack with ice.........but in winter in Canada just do it outside lol , and mildly heat  the bearing race , sure works good for ring gear on a flywheel too.....the ring gear drops right over flywheel …….you would swear the bearing is too loose putting it onto frozen part sometimes

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

If these are tapered roller bearings in the front hub, this isn't watchmaking. I usually drive the old races out with a steel punch and a "Ford tool". I use the old race to hammer the new races into place. Grinding the OD of the old race to allow it to slide into the hub is a smart idea. If you have a press, a small piece of steel plate across the other end of the old race equalizes the load, but frankly a sledge hammer and block of hardwood also work.

• Like 2

Warm hub. Dry ice race. ( let race sit on dry ice until it quits singing) Drop race in hub. Wear gloves. Race will not be damaged in any way.

I’ve probably installed over 500 races this way. Before 1980, we use to change all 18 wheel bearings, races, and seals on the semis about every 400,000-500,000 miles. Preventative maintenance. Now a days, bearing unit and seals usually good for 1,000,000+ miles.

• Like 1

Dry ice shrinks the bearing. Bearing heaters expand the bearing. Each has a purpose in sliding bearings onto shafts or into holes.

One can drive a 6203 bearing into and aluminum end bell of an alternator or motor, or you can heat the end bell and drop the bearing in. Either works.

You can use an inductive bearing heater to make a 6206 bearing larger on the ID and drop it onto a motor shaft. Or you can make a pipe like driver and use a press. 

You can put a Corvair top cover in a press and try to hold it and press the fan bearing out, or heat it with a propane torch and the bearing drops out with slight tap on the shaft, no damage. Same installing the fan bearing, press the shaft in dry and risk breaking the aluminum cover, or heat the cover and press in easy to correct height.

More than one way to skin the cat as we say.

No, I do not own an inductive bearing heater. But I used to use them in several shops I worked in.;)  But I do have Temple sticks and a torch... and gloves :D

• Like 1

I only have 4 bearings to install.... so probably looking for the most cost effective solution for the wheel bearings

Is a press worth buying (and what size cup would I need) or should I just use the old bearings and a drift to knock them in

31 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

When using a punch and hammer, you generally can tell that the race is seated by the sound made when installing. 

On all the hubs I've ever worked on, you can see and feel when the race is up against the machined step. In any case, we've now spent twice as long talking about this as it takes to do it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Then we are right on schedule!👍

• Haha 1

Jensen, you are not alone! And people wonder why I have so many different brand sockets.:D I also own the Harbor Freight 3/4" drive socket sets standard and metric along with the 2' to 3" additional set. Most use of these sets has been as bearing drivers.;) Note, I only have a 12 ton press. I know the 20 ton and larger will break sockets and send shrapnel into your eyes  so be careful out there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Jensen, you are not alone! And people wonder why I have so many different brand sockets.:D I also own the Harbor Freight 3/4" drive socket sets standard and metric along with the 2' to 3" additional set. Most use of these sets has been as bearing drivers.;) Note, I only have a 12 ton press. I know the 20 ton and larger will break sockets and send shrapnel into your eyes  so be careful out there.

Yep, Used them in the press as well but I don't get carried away with them there. About 12 years ago I was going to buy a 3/4 socket set. Was pricing them and deciding what brand I wanted. During this I drug home a 70 Cutlass 4 door that had no keys. When I got it home I took the back seat out and with lots of extensions, took the trunk latch off. To my surprise, there was a bran new 3/4 socket set still in the wrapper in the trunk. Was China stuff but works just fine for what I need. 

• Like 1