1920s American LaFrance roadster

13 minutes ago, paulrhd29nz said:

If this were mine I’d lower the seat and steering column by a foot and ditch the truck tires and rims. 
I’m aloud to dream right ?

The best speedsters have the details you are talking about.  But they are expensive changes.   When you lower the column you can cut and lower the cowl, hood and radiator.   It makes a big difference.

Compare the subject car with this one.  Same engine and chassis.

Just A Car Guy: an American LaFrance Speedster that had it's first life as  the Colorado Springs Fire Department's fire engine in 1915, but eventually  was abandoned in a Missouri field and

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

That was a 'great race' car. Do you suppose the tire/wheel combination were used for that purpose, easier to get, maintain, more reliable? The post above is def. a better looking configuration.

Changing the wheels is expensive.   These were fire trucks originally.  Making them look like a car costs lots of money.  You see varying degrees of success.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 7:25 AM, 63RedBrier said:

I would have power washed the tires BEFORE taking the photos…

... and lose the realism of "Patina"?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Leif in Calif said:

"Atlanta to Pasadena" in that rig. I'm sure there were fun moments but I'm also sure they were very happy to see Pasadena! 

Managing that monster over thousands of miles cross-country with absolutely zero weather protection?

The true definition of "Hairy Beast" - the vehicle, and not necessarily the driver and "NAGRI-VATOR" !

Another big plus for some of us is the shorter hood, on #59, to cover a 570 CID four cylinder engine as compared to the long 850 CID six cylinder engine desired by lots of builders. (I will keep with the proportions allowed by the four cylinder and 75 hp is good enough for me). There .... You have my 2 cents worth of opinion!

Al

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Managing that monster over thousands of miles cross-country with absolutely zero weather protection?

The true definition of "Hairy Beast" - the vehicle, and not necessarily the driver and "NAGRI-VATOR" !

The 'motorcycle cannonball' race is an equivalent endeavor. Riding across the country on a pre 1930 bike proves equally or more challenging I suppose. About halfway I would bet a lot of those guys would wish they had 2 more wheels underneath, LOL.

• Haha 1

These same changes are the reason some T speedsters absolutely nail it and others whike replicating authentic period approaches, are not quite as well proportioned.  ALF is same thing really, with the added complexity of converting a truck vs. a car.  

2 inches (if I remember right) in hood length, used on real Torpedo model brass Ts and the Rootlieb cars, makes a huge difference in profile.  Easy cars to drop steering column on, less certain about big iron though.

Lastly no ALF speedster thread is complete without noting Tom Laferriere who is the ALF Speedster guru.  Seems he usually has a good one laying around for anyone looking to do 60 mph or so on basically a big go kart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1