1924 buick running boards

Alex Ross

i am replacing the old running boards since they are half rotten and falling apart, and i am wondering if the steel plates on the underside of the existing running board is original.  I can transfer it to the new one, but i am not sure what it was for.  the board on the driver side has 2 plates on the bottom of the board, the passenger board has no plates.  thanks for help!

IMG_9139.JPG

the brackets that hold up the board are in different locations, it could have been used to hold some sort of strap for a tool box or something, but it seems to be in an odd location, i will post more pics, maybe this board was repurposed and the plates made sense in a totally different application?

• Like 1

Here is something to think about.  There should be saw kerfs about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart on the bottom sides of the running boards.  This was done on the boards when the cars left the factory.  This was done to keep the boards from cupping due to driving in the rain on a wet roadway.  Now would certainly be the time to do this while the boards are off the hangers.  I can post a photo or two to show how this looks on our '16 D-45.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

Those plates are stamped to allow a carriage bolt to be slid in, and the slot prevents it from turning as you tighten the nut.  Space the holes in what ever was attached to roughly the distance of the outside distance between the slots, and you have a decent attachment for something that could be easily removed.  Not a Buick part though.