Brass carbs - any idea from what ?

arcticbuicks

They were factory on a few cars, but I believe most were sold aftermarket. As far as I know there is no way of telling which ones would have been factory installed . Mostly small volume, higher end makes, late teens / early 20's. Information in general about many of this sort of car is somewhat hard to track down. And not a lot of Rayfield documentation out there either from what I recall.

Carbking has posted information about Rayfield from time to time on the forum. It might pay off to do a search.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Thanks, what’s a rough guess value price on the T carb ?

from little I know there were good catalogues on the Rayfield……and apparently the “ p” at the end of the GL3P is possibly what brand of car it was for ? I am not any expert on these , just did some research today .

carbking has several Rayfield catalogs and service documentation for sale on his website. But I believe Rayfield material is reasonably rare and generally rather expensive.

I have been looking at swap meets for at least the last 20 years and have not yet found any Rayfield catalogs or service books. Quite a few Rayfield carbs however, they seem to show up quite frequenty .Prices all over the map.

Rayfield carbs were used on lots of original applications.

I have 431 different listings, and due to the lack of documentation, I am certain there are more.

As to the comment about the scarcity of Rayfield documention; VERY true. In almost 50 years, I have found one "book B", two "book C", and one "book D". One would assume that were was also a "book A" or an unlettered book prior to "book B", but if so, I have not seen one; and no individual that I know, or library that I have contacted has seen one.

"Book D" was published in 1919. So very little documentation post-1919. I have unashamedly begged on this forum before for either a later factory Rayfield book, or O/E parts books copies.

Jon

• Like 3

Very interesting Jon!  Of those 431 listings , are they all OEM ? Or does that include Rayfields listings of applications where Rayfield is a recomended substitute for some other OEM carb ?  431 sounds like a  very large number if all OEM.  I did not think they were that popular as OEM.

Those are all OEM. Of course some of them are for multiple years of the same vehicle.

I show 84 different makes using them as OEM, including the 1914 70 HP version of your namesake ;)

As far as finding the Rayfield books: book B came from a junkyard in Michigan (Barney somebody) along with the ONLY Kingston book I have ever seen. The good book C came when we acquired the remains of Stromberg from the office of the chief engineer. The book D came from Carter along with the drawings from Carter Engineering. The book C with the torn cover I actually found on ebay about 25 years ago.

Jon

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

Thanks !  Regarding the 1914 70 HP Staver Chicago. This model was in the 1914 catalog, but if any were actually made it was only a very smll number. It was a top of the line model with a Teetor Hartley  6 { same engine as some of the bigger American Underslungs } rather than the Teetor Hartley 4 that most Stavers used. Staver was on its last legs by 1914, and if any were made it would not have been more than a handfull. No 70 HP Stavers are known to survive. Not that there are many Stavers around of any sort. Some of the 4's may have had a Rayfield as well ? Same engine as a 1912 era American Underslung Tourist  { the mid size, 4 Cyl American }.

nice,is the block aluminum or a alloy ? did mitchell have a 8 cyl ? the reason i ask is i know of a 8 cylinder similar engine in a garage with aluminum block on a whole chassis and did not see any tags or ID and your pic reminded me of it

11 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

nice,is the block aluminum or a alloy ? did mitchell have a 8 cyl ? the reason i ask is i know of a 8 cylinder similar engine in a garage with aluminum block on a whole chassis and did not see any tags or ID and your pic reminded me of it

The crankcase is aluminum and the cylinders are cast iron. That was very typical in those days. Mitchell never had an 8 cyl engine that early. Maybe in the 20's?? You can see that my engine doesn't have removable cylinder heads. Again this was very typical back then . If the engine you know about has a removable cylinder head then it's probably 1915 or newer.

Ken

• Thanks 1