Interior vinyl adhesive - 3M Super 77

Brtele

I would typically try contact cement.  Clean both surfaces thoroughly and then apply a thin, even coat to both surfaces and let  then sit until the cement is dry to the touch.  Then carefully place the piece where it belongs and press into place.  Note that once the two pieces come into contact, the glue will grab and separating them again will be difficult, so make sure positioning is right before pressing them together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brtele said:

Replacing the dash vinyl pieces around the radio and wanted to get adhesive recommendations from the group.  I searched but didn’t find a thread related to this question.

Thanks,

Brandon

Spray contact adhesive.  Do it in halves.  Mask off every surface but the section you want to cover.  After positioning the piece dry, use a couple of binder clips to secure either the right half or the left half to the radio surround. Gently lift the loose half and spray the exposed half of the surround and the back half of the vinyl.  Let them both dry to the touch per directions on the can.  When dry to the touch, gently roll the vinyl onto the surround.  Then undo your clips. The vinyl is secure on the surround. Now lift the other half an repeat.  The only reason for doing it this way is to perfectly align the two pieces.  The vinyl may have a tendency to move around where the opening for the radio is. You might want to put some tape on the finished side to negate any movement. It can be removed once everything is glued in place. 

• Like 3

I would use the spray adhesive, it will lie flat without lumps or bubbles.  That’s why I suggested masking off  everything. If you can get the E600 down smooth and flat,  there’d be no reason not to use it.  The last time I used contact adhesive, I bought a small can and used soldering brushes to apply it to both surfaces.  With the brush, I could ensure there were not lumps or bumps.  I was folding over the edges of some vinyl so there wouldn’t be any raw edges.

• Like 1

Just a side note involved with contact cement.

At a fairly recent family get together my nephew mentioned gun training for his 6 and 4 year old. The safety precaution is "Let the gun drop. Don't try to catch it". A good thing to know in that extreme situation no matter what age.

About a week later I sent a text to him.

"Don, remember what you were teaching the boys about gun safety if you drop the gun?"

"Yep"

"Same rule goes for 5 pound buckets of contact cement."

• Like 2

Cleaning the surface you are going to use adhesive really needs to be clean. I use automotive wax and grease remover on the area I want to clean. In the case there is no paint to worry about acetone does a right good job of cleaning.

In the case of ornamental metal to metal I use a two part epoxy. The epoxy is 1:1 and it is dry like clay. Using the epoxy for the right job gives the application a right good fit. Works great.

Turbinator

On 1/7/2023 at 5:12 PM, RivNut said:

After positioning the piece dry, use a couple of binder clips to secure either the right half or the left half to the radio surround. Gently lift the loose half and spray the exposed half of the surround and the back half of the vinyl.  Let them both dry to the touch per directions on the can.

I learned this too while positioning pieces. Not doing this, I've been advised to position WET and or spray 1-side only.

Contact cement is unforgiving.

Spray is more uniform.

Different methods but, Ed's is best!

I ended up using 3M's Super 77 spray adhesive to glue the Clark's radio vinyl piece after cleaning all existing glue with Goop, hot water, soap and ultimately Brake Cleaner to lift any oils/etc.

Prior to spraying adhesive, I laid the vinyl in the correct placement and used clips to hold the right side of the vinyl in place.  I then flipped the "un-clipped" vinyl over, sprayed both sides per the directions and glued it in place.  Repeat the unglued side after the previously glued side was firmly in place.

Result was above fair and will look good once everything is installed in the dash and some of the excess glue is cleaned up around the edges.

Thanks to everyone for the adhesive recommendations!

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5090.jpg

IMG_5102.jpg

• Like 3

• Brtele changed the title to Interior vinyl adhesive - 3M Super 77
  • 11 months later...

I'm sad to say my corners are starting lift.  I believe I followed the instructions to a "T".  I can push them back down and they'll stay for a little, but I know this is temporary.  Dang it - I'm going to have to try it again.

1 hour ago, Brtele said:

I'm sad to say my corners are starting lift.  I believe I followed the instructions to a "T".  I can push them back down and they'll stay for a little, but I know this is temporary.  Dang it - I'm going to have to try it again.

As EmTee stated,contact cement

• Like 3

Good day.

I actually used a very thin two-sided adhesive 'tape' that came in sheets that I was able to cut to the same sizes when I did the veneer in my '64. A little challenging but once I figured out a process it worked great and "in theory" should be able to remove easier if I every choose to redo the veneer. Sorry, I don't recall the specific product, but it was pretty thin stuff... 

Later,

3M 77 is fantastic stuff, but there is also 90 and 98 spray adhesive. 

I think for this application, you should have used 98 (metal to vinyl).  Also keep in mind there are 2 ways of applying it.  One way you spray both pieces, let them dry and then adhere them together with pressure.  The other way to is spray only one piece and adhere them while they are still wet.  One way is instant and permanent and the other is not.  (but read the instructions for more info since it has been years since the last time I used it frequently).  Scuffing up the surfaces to increase surface area is also a good idea.   A thicker coat is NOT usually beneficial. 

And to be clear, contact adhesive and spray adhesive are essentially the same thing, just one is applied with a brush (and is much more difficult to get even), and the other is sprayed from a can. 

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1084398O/3mtm-spray-adhesive-selection-guide.pdf

Edited by Hazdaz (see edit history)
  • Like 1