rare parts only we can identify-that we have -what happens after we pass on

arcticbuicks

I am not saying there are no interesting old car back on the prairies { I am originally from Winnipeg }, just the really good ones are very few and far between.

Also, not much point in showing photo's from the Reynolds Museum warehouse. Those cars were mainly gathered up decades ago, and most of the important ones came from the U.S. { Barney Pollard collection }.  Great collection { Reynolds Alberta } but hardly what someone is going to find in a old farm shed today.

reynolds are mostly local prairie cars,and they constantly take cars and  turn down families wanting to donate amazing cars,from the prairies,i cannot buy enough nice prairie cars fast enough........i just showed you shedded cars i got recent.is that so boring ? and i could show tons more 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

guys from eastern canada come and constantly buy on the prairies searching out cars........i was at pomona california and a show in vegas at a show and some guys with a Saskatchewan truck said they were going back to buy more in Saskatchewan,they couldnt believe some of the cars

The only thing I am remotely in the market for is a upper middle class , sports touring or roadster.,  1916 - roughly  1925, Stutz, Marmon model 34, Paige , Auburn or similar. Big 4 Cyl. or more likely a 6. Center lock wire wheels a must. What do you have that is close to this  ?

i dont know of those ,just recent that my bud got auburn boat tail ,and i know a place of a british guy that owned huge number of oil wells near me ,he even has a DB4 aston he had brought back from england,and a 25 rolls royce among 100 amazing cars.....SMACK in the middle of the boring priaries........Mack auctions just did a auction in a small town a few years ago and ppl from around the world came and bought cars including a fantastic original 1911 Case car.........an old friend of mine drives a 1912 White massive grand stunning original and has passed me several times on the way to car shows with the cut out open.just beacause i dont have what you want dosnt make the canadian prairies boring cars headed for the crusher,that is quite a statement.........i am sure half [or more] the USA dosnt have what you want either

You are saying this car only has 3 miles? What year is it? It appears to be a S.E. but they had blacked out window trim, this one has polished? Front end crest being red is correct for a 1977, but the wheels are 1978. Grilles are not correct, should be gold not black. So, something has been mucked with. Regardless, it looks like a really nice car. I would like to see more of it. 

Sorry, I was trying to add pics of the Trans Am

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

Sorry if I offended you. Yes, there very wealthy people scattered from coast to coast in Canada. And they can own pretty much anything they choose.

I have concidered moving back to the prairies from time to time , but my wife will have no part of it. She is no fan of the tiny bit of winter we get here in the Vancouver area let alone 4 or 5 months of it. But the price of property compared to here would allow me to have almost any vintage car I could think of.

Unfortunately divorce is a costly undertaking.

My main point was simply that most prairie cars are relatively ordinary sedans , plus a healthy dose of trucks. Yes the condition is often quite good. And as a basis for a rod what more could you ask for ? How many of those Sask. pickups stay stock I wonder ? But for something like that Jowet sedan just getting it to Vancouver would cost a good chunk of what it is realistically worth.  

Your friends Auburn sounds very interesting. Only a very small handfull in all of Canada . One lives close to me , a knock your socks off car that I see out and about from time to time in good weather. The owner is on the forum from time to time. But unless I move to your area no way I can afford one. I am sure your friend had to dig deep for it, unfortunately there is no Santa Claus.

Sorry if I sound elitist if saying I want a upper middle class vintage car makes me that. I have been been around vintage cars for almost 50 years now and very few of the Ford's ,Chevy's , Plymouth's , Dodges, Nash's , Oldsmobiles etc do much for me anymore.

I have seen a few Marmon 34's for around the $20 G's { U.S. } mark over the last 5 years, but always the wrong time for me and too far away. But hardly a rich man only price point. 

Do keep finding them !  And please do post them in the for sale section of the forum if they are ones you want to re sell. You never know, what is your transport price out to the coast ?

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

no it dosnt have the gold grilles ,i am not a expert to every detail on them,maybe canadian difference as understand not all had gold grilles ,my close friend had it since new and finally got tired of it in garage,and said your not going home empty tonite,i paid $50 k for it ,it appraised for $89k and i sold it the first day,4 buyers checked all the details of the car and wanted it 

1912 staver.....yes i am offended and still you repeat cutting down prairie cars in canada,my cars are just a tiny example of prairie cars and nothing that great,just some handy pics on my phone,there are far better........i am going to just stop right here now.....i am out of here......the rest on here can judge you 

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

If you don't carefully label every part with exactly what it is and what it is for there is a 95% chance it will land in the dumpster.

That also applies to any restoration that takes more than a few days. 😁

• Like 1

IMO, the easiest way to tag parts is with tape and a sharpie. Use what is variously referred to as "board tape" in the music industry or "artists tape" in ... It's the same thing. Painters tape works ok, but it can stick and dry out over time and I don't recommend it. Prices vary widely and you can buy it in various widths. It'll stay for years if you adhere it properly, but never leaves residue and the sharpie ink doesn't bleed thru.

Back to the original topic on "After we pass on"...I remember starting a new job and getting to know one of the guys in the office.  He mentioned his dad had a model T but he had just passed away.  For fun, he and his brother sawed up the car and threw it in the dumpster.  I was in shock.  I doubt the parts had much consideration to them either.

My suggestion, label them well.  If you find someone interested in them, work a deal and move them along.  Many guys helped me get started and I intend to help them along too.

5 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

i dont know of those ,just recent that my bud got auburn boat tail ,and i know a place of a british guy that owned huge number of oil wells near me ,he even has a DB4 aston he had brought back from england,and a 25 rolls royce among 100 amazing cars.....SMACK in the middle of the boring priaries........Mack auctions just did a auction in a small town a few years ago and ppl from around the world came and bought cars including a fantastic original 1911 Case car.........an old friend of mine drives a 1912 White massive grand stunning original and has passed me several times on the way to car shows with the cut out open.just beacause i dont have what you want dosnt make the canadian prairies boring cars headed for the crusher,that is quite a statement.........i am sure half [or more] the USA dosnt have what you want either

Articbuicks I for one am very impressed with your vehicle finds.  I am also familiar with scrap logistics of the rural western USA which I’m sure are similar to the Canadian prairie.  Basically scrap which brings $250/ton close to Texas Gulf coast mills and ports brings less than $100/ton in Farmington NM due to prohibitive hauling costs to mills located far away.  Which leads to large accumulations of vehicles which can’t easily be economically scrapped.  And low population density on large tracts of land allows the lower density of old cars to stay hidden for as long as the owners and/or families wish them to be.  I like your posts!  Keep them coming!

• Like 1

thanks 'CAR3516".......Manitoba has "mandak' "Gerdau" massive hydro electric powered smelter [in Selkirk city by Winnipeg}due to the cheap massive  hydro generating stations electricity of northen Manitoba { i think the province of Manitoba produces more than Hoover dam alone}, its nearly the largest smelter in Canada and northern USA........semis cross the border everyday from montana north dakota minnesota south dakota headed there with crushed cars and scrap metal etc........as well as from across the Canada prairies to the west ,scrap goes up and down average $350 a ton and at times several hundred higher,clean scrap steel like an engine block ive seen as high as $500-$600 ton,example a complete car like a early 2000 model they were paying average $600. with cats just scrap price with plastic and glass last summer..........so no the scrap reason i dont think is the answer or reason.........and still there are a high number of places with good classic cars here on the prairies..................i would say the reason for the high number of classics still to be found ,nicer ones and collections are is due more to  the cheaper land and larger space  to keep them as well as farms that are still same family over a hundred years.....where they still have grandpas 29 Paige in the garage and they are wealthy enough no reason to sell it,the prairie lands do not change owners often like in cities ......there are a number of hidden gem museums that cannot take on any more cars besides the Reynolds museum that keeps expanding it storage buildings putting cars away for the future,one example is the "Elkhorn car museum"among others if you google images of what there is amazing for a town of only a few hundred ppl,it is full of nice original teens and twenties and extremely rare models.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.91d611795a8caae6cef689857c274f93.jpegjust tonite i got a text,farm being sold and this was grandpas truck in same storage ever since it was new ,its not really worth much even though very good condition and a one ton truck,but all original,the family just wants it gone to a good home,sad part is the farm sold and everything has to go off the property soon........this truck may end up outside now and its fate .....who knows,i may pick it up and drop it off at the donation area of the elkhorn museum,it will be saved and sold off to fund the museum

• Like 2

another place is "AUSTIN museum " mostly a farm steam tractor museum......but in the buildings out back and i dont think open to the public at all.....are many teens and twenties cars put away that they never do anything with........but interesting are the steam cars,and i think they also have a early cadillac back in the sheds around 1908,i could likely get someone i know to allow me to photograph the cars

• Like 1

HEG7S6ZPHZBMHIWUPQRVRTX3H4.JPGinteresting fact with the "Elkhorn Manitoba Museum" is that they have a boneyard out back and you can take a car by making a donation to the museum, a hupmobile similar to this went to New Zealand from the boneyard,there was also a nice jag on a trailer donated to the museum and was given for a donation,this funds the museum and keeps the cars going to good homes that the museum cannot properly care for...........and im guessing for anybody caught stealing parts......you can choose your method of punishment from the wall in this picture behind the car ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

i would hope this forum includes all classic cars and not just the upper middle class that you set the standard of .....and regard everything else as heading to the crusher quality

It also includes trucks larger than a 1-ton.  Remember these 'big rig' trucks, used on the farm, line-haul, or public service often cost just as much or more than an 'upper middle class' car., and are usually far less common.  

I'm sure you saw more than a few old vintage grain trucks on your Saskatchewan farmer's field hunts.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, arcticbuicks said:

image.jpeg.91d611795a8caae6cef689857c274f93.jpegjust tonite i got a text,farm being sold and this was grandpas truck in same storage ever since it was new ,its not really worth much even though very good condition and a one ton truck, but all original, the family just wants it gone to a good home, sad part is the farm sold and everything has to go off the property soon........this truck may end up outside now and its fate .....who knows, I may pick it up and drop it off at the donation area of the Elkhorn museum, it will be saved and sold off to fund the museum

What make is the truck.  Any better pictures?

chevy  looks like 27 or earlier,it has original wood box with all cast brackets etc and may even be a balanced hand dump box,it will run,its only a hr from me,i will go pick it up i think,i dont need it but can try and find a home for it and do pictures,it also has what americans would call a title paper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'8E45E' yes i see a lot of trucks and grab many........i like the Mercury trucks and Fargo......more and more guys from eastern canada and usa are hunting for them around here too..........i just saw a 1965 gmc with the factory original gas V12.....but too big for me and its headed for the crusher

books and service manuals-I think i will have them donated to the 'Reynolds museum" as they have an incredible library TOTALLY accessible to the public by anyone and you dont even have to be there,all in catagories by make and year,with great staff ........you can even call or email them for any information in the library,i saw they have 70,000 perfectly organized books and manuals etc in rolling vaults,i did have some pictures but cant find........the museum is well staffed as it is owned by the Alberta province .......they also sort out donated literature donated to them and might be a good choice for our books and manuals after we are gone

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Guys:

This is exactly what I consider off topic or hijacking a post. 

The topic is "rare parts only we can identify-that we have -what happens after we pass on"

Factory publications also fall into this category as well, considering Parts Catalogs (both manufacturer & OEM or aftermarket vendor) were not usually for public distribution.

I've also heard of shelves full of them, besides a garage full of car parts as being discussed here being in jeopardy when someone passes as well.

Craig

I was invited to help clean out the garage of a early car museum owner.   Aftrer loaded all stuff the family wanted, they sai do what you want to with

the rest.   We I still have a pile of pre-1930 frnders and slah aprons that I can't identify.   A PAINT PENCIL would have made a bid difference if they had all been labled.   There were about 8 or 9 N.O.S. pickup truck looking fendrs stacked with paper between them and surface rust.   I posted a bounchof picture in this form and sold one that the buyer thought was a Studebaker, but later found out from him that is was not.

The rest i still have and my heirs will have to through them in a Dumpster one day.   I built a partial wall for my shed with some of the others.1726992461_IMG_07771.JPG.61f935158be761e8dd3d54f05def4cd9.JPG

I have purchased many estate parts collections where hoards of parts were not identified. I must be a glutton for punishment because I enjoy what I do. I hate to see good parts get thrown into the dumpster when I know someone, somewhere could use those parts. I enjoy being able to identify things and then getting the items and the people that need them hooked up. I've had good success posting photos under the "what is it" section of this forum. I also spend many hours using "google" and scouring photos. It's what I do and I enjoy that aspect of the hobby. Some might say that I just do it for the money. If I counted my time as worth anything I'd be better off getting a part time job at a fast food joint. Minimum wage would net me more per hour than buying and selling parts.

Edited by pkhammer
bad wording (see edit history)
  • Haha 1