One-Of-A-Kind 1969 Corvette Convertible Set To Be Auctioned

Nice car. But for a fraction of the cost you could own a car that the alloy big blocks really put on the map { and vice versa } . A McLaren M8, circa 1969 or 1970.  Some McLarens change hands as cheaply as $350,000.00. Seems a fantastic deal to me compared to 2.5 - 3 Mill for the Vette. And then you have a car that can put all that ZL-1 power to constructive use rather than just shreading tires.

A very special vette indeed, however as picky as I have heard that their judging standards are I think the real value of this car is the original motor. Its hard to believe that it has reached such a high pedestal without it. I would think that most of the car is a 1969 corvette, not unlike many others that were produced. Take away the one special element and to me the value is about half what it should be. But, I will not be in the bidding lot and I am sure a lot of people wont care.

I will say this about the matching Numbers thing. I will not buy a muscle car without its original block, transmission, and rear end. Depending on the car, that might include the heads if that’s where the Vin stamp is.

However, with something like this, I’m not sure it makes any difference. If you are a Corvette guy, and you want to be king of the Corvette mountain, then this is your car. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alsancle said:

I will say this about the matching Numbers thing. I will not buy a muscle car without its original block, transmission, and rear end. Depending on the car, that might include the heads if that’s where the Vin stamp is.

However, with something like this, I’m not sure it makes any difference. If you are a Corvette guy, and you want to be king of the Corvette mountain, then this is your car. 

I agree if you are talking GM muscle. The engine is the main proof the car is what the seller is saying it is.

Fords and Mopars are a somewhat different case. The engine type shows up in the serial number . On 428 CJ cars the engine number is often extremely hard to read , even with the engine sitting clean on a stand.  As long as it is a proper engine , say a 271 HP 289 in a K code Mustang or a CJ in a Q or R code Torino , Mustang ,Cougar , Cyclone then I don't get too concerned even if it is a non serial number matching block. I agree correct engine / non matching number cars should sell at something of a discount. Unless it is something like a ZL-1 car of course. 

But it's not something that would rule out a given car for me. A CJ car is a CJ car in my books, same with a K code Mustang. The fact that counts for me is the car is the real deal high performance version. Engines are more or less a consumable.  Too many years messing with track cars I guess. How many GT 350 R models do you think still have the factory block?   I expect very few indeed. Does not seem to hurt the price one bit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

The gt 350's with replacement motors still command a higher price, however one with original running gear will easily eclipse those values so yes it does hurt the price. 

For this Vette, being a one of one crazy money will be spent. 

I agree about standard GT 350's Terry.  I made the comment specifically about the   " R " models { 37 built in 1965 } . That is the GT 350's that were built ready to race. Almost all of them were raced and I expect there were many replacement engines. Still a very expensive car today. Not as much as this Corvette , but several hundred thousand dollars.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In my book a decent quality collectible muscle would have to be a matching numbers original for me to buy it. But I could have a lot of fun in a clone and not worry about a valuable collectible in the parking lot of a nice restaurant. On older car cars I do look for period correct numbers to validate the car and I am not looking for any added value. All that said I'll stick to my Buick.