Central Canada in the bush at a car place

arcticbuicks

yes there are some different ones......in the 50s dodge and plymouth in Canada flipped the front noses of cars-dodge with plymouth front end or VS the other and renamed..

i had a beautiful 58 Parisienne sport coupe with factory 283 chev motor[as we had no pontiac v8s] it was similar to a impala sport coupe 

my favorite trucks are the 1940s Mercurys with tons of chrome.or a 49 {merc} Monarch among other strange Monarchs like Phaeton,late 50s Chryslers are nice too like Windsor,{ford}Meteor cars,laurentien,strato chief, ,Acadian,Regent,{fargo} trucks,GM maple leaf trucks..........there were many engine variations also .......so few pictures or info on the internet........even some of my books and manuals do not include some............the rarest i think would be the "Winnipeg car"only 6 made in the 1920s.........i could go on for ever

There used to be a Plymouth Valiant floating around Seattle with Washington plates that was pure 66 Dodge Dart, front and rear, except badges. I agree it is more common for only one end to be changed, at  least from what I have seen across the border. I once worked on a "Dodge 880" station wagon from some year (1966?) when there were no US models by that name. It had a Plymouth dash and interior except for the emblems.

• Like 1

I once had a 55 Canadian Pontiac. 265 v8, powerglide.  Was in Spokane on holidays and went to service station where the attendant actually checked the oil back then. He was astounded to see a Chevy engine when he lifted the hood.  That was a great car. One I wish I had kept. But we all know how that goes. 

• Like 2

i have another what is it to explore..........some friends and i were snowmobiling in a pretty remote area that used to be logging maybe up into the 1930s near "Riding Mountain" manitoba,old roads grown in and no longer used.......a whiteout snow storm came and we got lost on the way back,and ended up along a deep ravine we couldn't cross,then there was a bunch of old equipment and long abandoned log building far from anywhere,we stopped there to talk about where we were......anyways i looked around and noticed the most amazing big 1930s car in snow level with the hood.........I would guess a 34 big GM......but unusually big.my buds helped me dig down the sides to see more but the front was hard packed snow drift and we couldn't spend anymore time........looking through the windows etc it looked amazing for a field car and nothing damaged,the dash i didn't recognize but was grand.the storm got worse and we were getting cold [-25] and low on fuel and getting dark.........we finally found a road after many turns and cutting through forest areas......and a moose was stubborn to let us pass in one spot......i tried to keep track of where to go back to see the car.......long story short....ive been back up there 2 years in a row now in fall driving and cant find the place although im in the right area.........i looked at google earth but its a low quality area on google.......I think i will have to snowmobile the area again soon

• Like 5

17 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

i have another what is it to explore..........some friends and i were snowmobiling in a pretty remote area that used to be logging maybe up into the 1930s near "Riding Mountain" manitoba,old roads grown in and no longer used.......a whiteout snow storm came and we got lost on the way back,and ended up along a deep ravine we couldn't cross,then there was a bunch of old equipment and long abandoned log building far from anywhere,we stopped there to talk about where we were......anyways i looked around and noticed the most amazing big 1930s car in snow level with the hood.........I would guess a 34 big GM......but unusually big.my buds helped me dig down the sides to see more but the front was hard packed snow drift and we couldn't spend anymore time........looking through the windows etc it looked amazing for a field car and nothing damaged,the dash i didn't recognize but was grand.the storm got worse and we were getting cold [-25] and low on fuel and getting dark.........we finally found a road after many turns and cutting through forest areas......and a moose was stubborn to let us pass in one spot......i tried to keep track of where to go back to see the car.......long story short....ive been back up there 2 years in a row now in fall driving and cant find the place although im in the right area.........i looked at google earth but its a low quality area on google.......I think i will have to snowmobile the area again soon

Amazing story. 

This thread is starting to read like a automotive expedition, now we have to have a follow up story!

I'm sure you'll be well prepared, and please take plenty of pics ;)

thanks......and yes i am determined to find that car....again,i could take the quad too in summer,i can transport  it in spring or fall freeze up with no snow but summer could be tough getting in with a truck through wet areas and the forest has all regrown since the logging industry stopped so roads are long gone....but it isnt solid forest and has open spots and should be possible to meander though with a truck and trailer,or a very possible way that i have done  [ in winter ] before is get a nearby farmer with a huge tractor on tracks which most have for a couple hundred $$,,,,,, and tow/drag my flatbed trailer like a sleigh kind of as those tracked tractors can go through anything as long as ground and swamp area frozen....... as far as ownership....i can check municipal land title office and get the owner contact once i have location too,the property/that area backs to a now Canada national park and if by chance the car is on now park property.....there would be no touching it and we would have been in a no snowmobile allowed area ,the area has a lot of old log cabins and remains of 1800s logging equipment with some old steam engine remains still on the bush......should be some interesting pics for sure bringing it out lol

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There was a legend in our family of a relative that went hunting in Northern Manitoba in the early days. Parked his car in the bush and never found it again. Maybe you have found it. 

• Haha 1

hhmmmmm........thats interesting ....some car guys found a 32 ford [so they say or what they think it is] in duck mountain area first spotted by airplane,its deep in forest and heavy grown in area big huge trees now,and impossible to get it out ,would have to cut trees down for a month ,i know them well and  trust worthy  story.......why is the car there ? one never knows ?.......just odd but could be any  reason and nothing similar.If it was a ugly plain car it wouldn't be so interesting too......as cars are out there.

Also a guy in Neepawa Manitoba,Gordon Vincent ,here are pics i took of his place before he had auction and most went for scrap price,auctioned out a few years ago,the packard coupe second pic is on the road now since the sale,he did have very nice ones and tons of packard engines and parts 1930s and dealership stuff too-i remember one old packard dealer place he bought out ,last pic you can see big round building,it was full of nice stuff,he had amazing coupes and packards etc ,hundreds of cars,he got a lot of  his cars by flying his small airplane [ something like a piper cub ] and spotting,he would even land in farmers driveway and say .....hey ! how much for the model A out back ?1476313080_yard9.png.d67f8591cb8fa079cf076ff8a79ffa82.pngyard14.png.4584492a1446ea69219d68ebf4225fce.png1034169248_yard6.png.070a0af72f063ec84633e287b98e5e26.png1335835896_yard3.png.ffa6349e5e9f44578d53822d81ed72f7.png773269052_yard11.png.8a3805d0ec6eb59daf35125c4f51367c.png955292258_yard12.png.f307eaeab70c6ffb446876e80daaec2c.png1935246541_yard7.png.c5d743a914f8d97f2bfef365f5ad4a55.png

• Thanks 1

i also used to fly with a friend when i was younger the odd time on fishing trips but i was always looking for cars ,if i saw something i would say hey can we get a closer look,then cesna 336 [ 'push pull' nickname=had a rear engine and a front engine with twin tail ] i think was the  model was wings virtical and almost touching the grass.......and he would say 'that close enough ?'.......on one trip later in that same plane going fishing we lost the rear engine then the front and up north 800 miles ,over nothing but bush and water .......he said 'so....what do you think .....the bush or the water ? '.......i said water !......we didnt make it and down we went in the bush......no body got hurt hardly at all though was good

• Like 1

Regarding the OP; definitely a fascinating relic.  Would love to see/learn more.   Agree with the comment above; if it were in my neighborhood, I’d buy it, then figure it out.  At first I thought it was reminiscent of a Davis Divan three wheeler.   Then thought of the PA speed record car.  Not a ringer for either, though.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

IMG_20230514_153913343.jpg.a8dd5d81a817f8a7d2cb23b1c399b6e5.jpgIMG_20230513_130935574.jpg.c951fc2765d940c0b1e69ee14eb8dffa.jpgHi,I just came across your reminder ,the snow is gone .....there was actually some remains of snow in bush 2 weeks ago ....i did drive by the place twice during winter quite a ways from where I live ......and was impossible snowed in .......and I found owner name and contact over the winter that I had years ago ........but now hot summer here.......I will go check it out when I'm back (and I guess buy it).......I got this crazy idea to buy a boat and sail the inside passage to Alaska from Vancouver .....Campbell River BC now adding equipment and stocking up ....on my bucket list for years now to do this  .....SO .....you can expect to see pics soon and details of the crazy car when i can get back to it.......with a longer trailer too .......if I don't end up lost at sea ....as I have zero sailing experience lol....but how hard can it be ? And at least the  boat is classic 52 years old heavy solid rides like a 47 Buick .....does have a new Perkins diesel and drive,modern NAV ,radar etc too.......I like adventure .....and my younger cuz is the same on trips ........maybe by Prince Rupert we should have the hang of it better ..............just not sure exactly when we will do the whole trip from here with tons of preparations etc

• Like 4

something i forgot to add.......in the winter i shared this posting and pics with a old friend of mine........and there are a few comments on Bristal cars looking similar to this beast on here,and Bristal aircraft company being the same company as Bristal cars i read ?.......my old friend said there was a Bristal aircraft factory in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada........closest big city to where this car sits...........possible connection ?

My grandfather worked for Bristol aircraft in Winnipeg. But I don't remember him ever mentioning anything about Bristol cars. I expect Winnipeg was aircraft only. Very few Bristol cars sold in Canada, but a good number of Bristol aircraft and aircraft engines.

yes i think Bristol only made aircraft in winnipeg.......but possible someone there had a crazy idea to do a land speed car ..........its a crazy car with a Bristol car look or whatever it is ........so there had to be a crazy idea behind it ?..........something has to connect why it was made .....and that was just what my old friend happened to say........i did think aircraft quality or certain things about it when i first saw it

Hi arcticbuicks, Wow you have found what appears to be a Streamlined Concept Car that needs to be Oh So carefully pulled out of the woods so as not to damage the aerodynamic body. I was not able to find a match on-line. This looks like it belongs in a museum. Perhaps a Jay Leno's Garage Team could help identify this "Shoemobile".

God Bless and Best Wishes

On 1/5/2023 at 9:58 AM, arcticbuicks said:

i had a beautiful 58 Parisienne sport coupe with factory 283 chev motor[as we had no pontiac v8s] it was similar to a impala sport coupe 

One could have purchased a U.S. '58 Pontiac in Canada as per this February, 1958 Canadian Reader's Digest ad.   My great-aunt ordered a brand new 1962 Pontiac Bonneville from Jenner Motors in Edmonton.  She did have to wait for it to arrive, as a general rule, Canadian Pontiac dealers didn't usually keep much US Pontiacs in stock.

Craig

58_Pont_ad.jpg

i had a 58 Pontiac Parisienne sport coupe,2 door HT,283 4 bbl,powerglide auto,turquoice green blue and white..........and so sorry i flipped it for a quick buck,a small town up north garage kept one owner car.......see very few of them,there are still some Strato Chief Pathfinder and Laurentian around but most were imitation HT and sedans.........I did not think you could order a 1962 Bonneville new in Canada......@8E45E.......being US model ?.......but pontiac started to do some different things by 1962........and the 1962 pontiac CDN 6 cars were actually a pontiac engines.......but then a few years later back to chevy engines.....then in 1966 maybe 1967 in Canada had some pontiac with the OHC 6 cylinder.......in Le Mans ,Tempest,and firebird

some other cool Pontiacs were the 1967 Grande Parisienne sport coupe with hideaway headlights,my good friend has one with buckets and console ......another nice one is the 1967 Parisienne 2+2 sport coupe and convertible........and 1967 Acadian Canso 2 door HT........and my fathers bud just sold his 1968 Tempest [much like a Le Mans ] convert with 6 cyl OHC

3 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

I did not think you could order a 1962 Bonneville new in Canada......@8E45E.......being US model ?.......

Yes, one could. I posted a 1962 Pontiac ad from Canadian Reader's Digest here, showing a Bonneville identical to my great-aunt's:

On 6/4/2023 at 1:56 AM, arcticbuicks said:

IMG_20230514_153913343.jpg.a8dd5d81a817f8a7d2cb23b1c399b6e5.jpgIMG_20230513_130935574.jpg.c951fc2765d940c0b1e69ee14eb8dffa.jpgHi,I just came across your reminder ,the snow is gone .....there was actually some remains of snow in bush 2 weeks ago ....i did drive by the place twice during winter quite a ways from where I live ......and was impossible snowed in .......and I found owner name and contact over the winter that I had years ago ........but now hot summer here.......I will go check it out when I'm back (and I guess buy it).......I got this crazy idea to buy a boat and sail the inside passage to Alaska from Vancouver .....Campbell River BC now adding equipment and stocking up ....on my bucket list for years now to do this  .....SO .....you can expect to see pics soon and details of the crazy car when i can get back to it.......with a longer trailer too .......if I don't end up lost at sea ....as I have zero sailing experience lol....but how hard can it be ? And at least the  boat is classic 52 years old heavy solid rides like a 47 Buick .....does have a new Perkins diesel and drive,modern NAV ,radar etc too.......I like adventure .....and my younger cuz is the same on trips ........maybe by Prince Rupert we should have the hang of it better ..............just not sure exactly when we will do the whole trip from here with tons of preparations etc

I spent many days sailing on the Strait of Georgia in years gone by. And most of my working life on ships in the same waters. I have never sailed further North than Campbell River, but quite a bit of time on the ship , Prince Rupert to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island and Skidegate on Hida Gwaii.

The weather can get very rough on the Hecate Strait depending on the time of year. It seemed I was usually there in the Winter, and as often as not during a good blow. June should be a lot nicer sailing, but be prepared for anything. The weather can turn quickly.

You know what some say about sailing { usually wives } ... endless hours of boredom, punctuated by episodes of sheer terror.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

oh yes and thanks.... the Hecate Straight is a long unprotected stretch i see also....and Queen Charlotte area nasty I know from flying in and local boating..... ..and the wild fast  currents and up to 14 ft tide around Campbell River up past port hardy.....which i just did a bunch of practice in the amazing beautiful area........i hope i am good to go-as i watched how to do on youtube [just kidding]........I spent my first years up into teens in the arctic central north Canada rough remote cold waters on boats with no luxuries and zero electronics,and same with the bush planes etc .....luckily frozen crossings more than three quarters of the year lol........and some boating off east coast of Florida and Caribbean crossings........just not sailing much ........something i find interesting on this old boat is there is no grease or oil on the prop shaft and bearings.......therefore a seal will not work on prop shaft exiting hull......so there is a packing nut over the prop shaft.......just changed it with new flax straw wax rope.........ancient reliable method .....and normal for it to leak while turning ....to cool the seal and bearing .......the boat is a tank and well serviced and inspected.......but now we find the big bronze prop has internal electrolysis corrosion on closer inspection and cracking blade ......likely original ......now maybe delayed weeks to source one out and no simple ordering a replacement by model............so i may fly back home for a while ......this has all been a nice break from cars......and a new adventure to continue

• Like 2

Wow, and those '58's came with "Quadra-Poise Roadability"!! And "Futuristic planning that resulted in radical improvements"!! Those sales and marketing people sure had a way with words (or BS?), never mind the "Astro-Flame V8". Any '58 Pontiac owners out there that put these features on their placards?

Main thing about the Hecate is that it is quite shallow.  The waves come in off the North Pacific and have nowhere to go but up and down in big rollers. 

Even on a decent sized ship the ride is pretty rough. On a sail boat I expect it can be a bit unsetteling.

I have been through weather like this quite a few times. Even standing can be difficult , and moving around in the engine room can be almost impossible.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE : The car is still there ......I had a phone call with the owner and a little info........sadly he said he dosnt want to sell it at this point ....he likes having it around he said........he did tell me he has old  original literature/pictures etc with it....handed down from the previous two owners..... he found after a house move......I will post the literature pics after a visit when i can..............

• Like 3