For Sale: 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere, 21k Original Miles - $10,500 - Angels Camp, CA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere, 21k Original Miles - $10,500 - Angels Camp, CA

1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere, 21k Original Miles - cars &... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere (FB doesn't give that as a choice), 218 c.i. straight 6, 3 speed manual on the column with overdrive (not working right now but it would be rarely used anyway), 21,073 original miles. It was in Harrah's Auto Collection in 1984 (comes with the Harrah's certificate). Always stored indoors at least since 1984. Original paint still looks good except the chip behind passenger door and minor wear and surface rust in a few spots, as pics show. No cancer anywhere. Interior is in excellent shape, new carpet. Chrome and molding are good. Runs excellent. New plugs and wires, new battery, new muffler, rebuilt starter, original AM radio, factory tinted windows, air and all gauges and lights work except blinkers. Reduced again to $10,500 OBO
Comes also with "Fix Your Plymouth" book (HB) and 1946-54 Plymouth Service Manual.

Copy and paste in your email: 17744ae5364f392184396fa4fc4431d0@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1952 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere.

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA a.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA b.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA c.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA d.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA e.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA f.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA g.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA h.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA i.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA j.jpg

'52 Plymouth Cranbrook Belvedere CA k.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting car. I didn't think such a paint and trim scheme was available from Plymouth in '52, but I found a couple others online. I don't think they made many of them. Maybe plymouthcranbrook knows more details.

It's attractive with the right color combination, as the photo below shows. I think the black and mint might be too much contrast. Don't know if that's original.

images.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

Interesting car. I didn't think such a paint and trim scheme was available from Plymouth in '52, but I found a couple others online. I don't think they made many of them. Maybe plymouthcranbrook knows more details.

It's attractive with the right color combination, as the photo below shows. I think the black and mint might be too much contrast. Don't know if that's original.

images.jpg

JamesR:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states the production for 1951-'52 model years which are accounted together, a total of 51,266 Cranbrook Belvedere hardtops were built.  The two-tone paint scheme was part of its identity, yellow with black top/deck accent seems to have been particularly popular.  This Plymouth series is not one which makes one think "sporty" even with a hardtop roof in place.

Steve

• Thanks 1

As a young man in the early '70's, I drove a tow truck part time and one of the accounts was for a wrecking yard. I brought one of these hardtops in to the yard.. think they paid $15 for it. I was sad that it would be crushed, knew it was rare, and it was a decent car. I would have bought it, had I any money. In those days, as a student on my own, even gas money was scarce.

This car;
Mismatched tires suggests less than ideal custodianship. I'm not overly fond of the color scheme, but the paucity of these, with overdrive, and the purported low mileage makes me very interested. That and the sad remembrance of its mate half a century ago.

To me the car looks sad and neglected.  I have color and upholstery charts somewhere but by the time I found them this ad will be history.  I have seen a couple of Belvedere sedans in my time and both were two tone.  I don’t remember the exact upholstery but neither of them were like other stock 52s I have seen so?  I suspect a drop in price will be needed to sell this car.  I cannot comment on the overdrive as I never had one but from what I have read and talked with those who did they are pretty reliable.  

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)

This car was bid to $9K on Ebay over a month ago and marked sold. The green paint looks dull, splotchy, slightly mismatched here & there and thin in spots. The seller claims it's original but the fact that the rear fender welt (should be black) is painted the car color suggests otherwise. Time for a repaint. The upholstery is correct except for the front seat which should match the door panel & back seat fabric. Probably would need a matched set of new tires to be roadable. If I'm understanding the Ebay ad correctly some things were fixed but the car was driven a total of three miles since 1984. I'd think the Harrah's connection would be a moot point after almost 40 years except for the fact this Belvedere's still more of a static display item than a driveable vehicle. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

....the production for 1951-'52 model years which are accounted together, a total of 51,266 Cranbrook Belvedere hardtops were built.  The two-tone paint scheme was part of its identity....

That's more than I would've guessed. I see a lot of early fifties Plymouths, but I don't believe I'd seen one of these before this thread. Thanks for the education.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

A lot of people may not know this because it is so obscure, but this same car in this same paintjob was used by a murderer in the 1960's and it was featured on an episode of "Forensic Files".  The car belonged to Booker T. Hillery, a 35 year old farm laborer who raped and murdered a girl named Marlene Miller in 1962. By complete luck, the owner of the wrecking yard that his beat-up 1952 Plymouth was sent to after the crime had refused to junk it or sell it, and forensic evidence from this car was used to convict him of the murder in 1986, almost 25 years later after the crime occured. The car ended up sitting in another junkyard in the high desert where it was still for sale as late as 2013 for $5,000.  It current whereabouts are unknown.

i001091506.jpg

82840848_871364553313970_4805421646573731840_n.jpg

Ply51Belv2HT1.jpg

Ply51Belv2HT2.jpg

Ply51Belv2HT10.jpg

Ply51Belv2HT12x8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the for sale car and its color combination although it looks a little clumsy. The way they wrapped the c column around the body is quite unique. Love that part. Interior looks still good. But overall the poor car looks a bit neglected as already mentioned.  Why putting white wall tires on it, doesn't make it quicker, just funny. 1 or 2 grand less and it finds a buyer easily.