1937 Buick Model 40 Delco-Remy Automatic Choke Tech Info Sought

carbdoc

I am seeking technical information regarding the Delco-Remy automatic choke found on the Stormberg AA2 carburetor used on the 1937 Buick Model 60.  I have performed this job before (albeit several years ago) but I don't recall having a problem with it.  A photo of the choke (taken from the side, with the cover removed) is attached.

Specifically, I would like to see an exploded view diagram, a reassembly sequence and/or a parts list.  I am having difficulty understanding how two small radial springs and a lever work in conjunction with what I perceive to be the fast idle cam.  One of the springs was broken when I started, so I had to guess as to its specifications; perhaps that is what is leading me astray.  

Jeff Dreibus

IMG_20221207_110708376.jpg

Edited by carbdoc
Wrong information. (see edit history)

Those chokes are infamous. I believe Buick had that forced on them by GM Corporate, and in about a year it was clear to everyone they were a problem. Buick had replacement carbs available that eliminated the Delco choke. That said, SOMEONE on this forum successfully rebuilt and/or modified one to work properly. As I recall there were pictures and details. A quick search did not find the thread though.

Does anyone remember who that was? Or know how to find the thread?

@EmTee @dibarlaw @DonMicheletti @MCHinson

• Like 2

Unless one lived in Miami, or San Diego, or Honolulu or a similar locale, those chokes did not work well when new! 

Somewhere (please don't ask where), I have a Delco factory service bulletin from about 1938 or 1939 which advocated absolute butchery on the choke to attempt to make it function. 

Jeff - you may have one with the factory "fix" (that didn't).

As Bloo mentioned, in 1938 Buick requested both Stromberg and new to Buick vendor Carter to use the conventional choke on the 1939 models, AND offer service replacement carburetors with the conventional hot air choke to replace ALL of the 1937 and 1938 units (both Stromberg and Marvel).

Jon

• Like 2

It was @EmTee who recently cleaned up the Delco Choke on a 1938 60 Series carburetor.

@carbdoc I am a bit confused exactly what you are working on. The 1937 40 Series Stromberg Carburetor was the AA-1. The AA-2 was used on 1937 60,80, & 90 Series. As soon as I know which one you need, I will be happy to post some photos of the material that I have related to the choke.  

• Like 1

MCHinson, Thanks.  I just checked and it is indeed an AA-2, it therefore must be for a model 60.  I will edit my original post so as not to confuse anyone else.  Please do post whatever you have that you believe might be relevant to this choke.

EmTee, Thanks for the link!    Yours differs slightly from the one that I am working on, but I believe that it is "close enough" to provide some insight.

Jeff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Did you search the entire Buick forum or just the Buick Pre-War?  It wouldn't have shown up if you were just looking in Pre-War.

I don't remember now. That might explain it. Or more likely I might have been using google, limiting it to this site, a few keywords, etc.

@carbdoc I think hes referring to my inability to find a thread I was sure existed.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Some of this might help or maybe it won't... In any case it is interesting reading. The first scanned .jpg files are the Choke and Carburetor pages from the 1937 Buick Engineering Features booklet. The last are 3 pages of 1937 Dealer Service Bulletins that apply to the Choke. I had to scan them as .jpgs to be able to post them on the forum. If you need higher quality versions, send me a PM with your email address and I will be happy to scan them as .pdfs and email them to you. 

Scan_0077.jpg

Scan_0078.jpg

Scan_0079.jpg

Scan_0080.jpg

Scan_0081.jpg

Scan_0082.jpg

Scan_0083.jpg

Scan_0084.jpg

Scan_0085.jpg

Scan_0086.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is the problem with these types of documents. Whenever you are reading one section, you find something else interesting and it is difficult to stop. I will go ahead and add the next two pages, but ignore the start of the next section on "Camshaft" on the second page so I don't leave you hanging again...

And yes, as soon as I finish the final installment of the current series on the 1937 Service Presentation in the Torque Tube II, I will follow up with the 1937 Engineering Facts. Unfortunately, it will take years to publish them all. I also have a lot of other old publications to reprint in the Torque Tube II over the next few years.

Scan_0087.jpg

Scan_0088.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Matt.  That section caught my eye because I have spent a fair amount of time trying to dial-in the valve lash on my '38.  It is pretty good now (IMHO), but interestingly there's one (maybe 2) that tap lightly cold, but when I pull up to the garage door after a drive the engine is dead quiet.  My theory is wear on the rocker arm tip from the valve stem 'fools' my feeler gauge by bridging the worn spot.  I just bought an inexpensive dial indicator, so I plan to recheck the cold lash on all of the valves using that sometime this winter...

Thanks again for the post!

• Like 3

An issue that I found with both my '38's choke mechanisma was the alignment of the flexible cable inside the rubber boot. I never could get them so they didnt hit the boot.

So, I leave the boot off and find the choking process works a lot better.

I put the boot in the glove compartment so I can legitimately claim that the boots are in the car.

• Like 3

I found some more interesting documentation for the Delco automatic choke used on 1937 Buicks. These are from the documents from the 1937 Buick Service Presentations that were used to train Buick dealership mechanics on how to repair the new 1937 Buicks.   

Scan_0094.jpg

Scan_0095.jpg

Scan_0096.jpg

Scan_0097.jpg

Scan_0098.jpg

Scan_0099.jpg

Scan_0100.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here's the wrap-up report to this saga:  I've got the choke reassembled!  I had to modify a radial tension spring  spring (that I had on hand)  with the same diameter wire and bore to replace a broken spring, but the choke is now back together and I believe that it will work!

Thanks to all who contributed to this effort!

Jeff

• Like 5