Late 20's early 30's 7-lug rear hubs with drums,Pierce?REO?

sagefinds

These came out of a Colorado estate and were marked Pierce Arrow,they sort of match 7-lug front hubs on an axle down there that was marked REO. I never got back down to get it,maybe someone knows for sure huh Ed? The drums are 16" across inside,17 3/4 outside.

,2 5/8" deep. The center hole tapers,about 1 9/16" inside,1 5/16 outside. Appreciate any help.

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

Hudson had 7 bolt hubs and used the little triangular cover, at edge of drum to allow feeler gage to be inserted to help set brake clerance.

I personally know that Hudson and Essex cars used this feeler gage access area.

Was not aware any other co. did this.

14 hours ago, Walt G said:

Franklin also had 7 lug drums at least in the 1930-33 era on their Airman series of cars.

Franklin used the same 7 lug type drum, except they are all 14 inch inside diameter. But, the way some drive I bet they wish they had 16 inch drums. 😁

Paul 

I don't have any great instrument to get exact measurements but as near as I can tell,that hub ring is 5 1/2" in dia,the bolt circle 7 on 7 1/16 give or take a 16th. The holes are 1/2" NF fine thread. It's a little strange that the hub is threaded. Usually the end of the axle shaft sticks out and a nut and washer go on it. In this case a jam nut may screw on there,then a nut and washer,possibly with a short pin out of the nut and into the washer,then maybe that nut backs off and jams the washer to prevent anything from coming loose. I had a 30 Packard STD 8 wheel I was going to try on this but it's either missing or put in a very secure place. I want to thank everyone who has contributed,guess the jury is still out,but please keep letting your thoughts be known. My last thought is that these may be from the early throws of the Great Depression,guessing that many car companies bought somewhat standard wheels from a maker rather than engineering their own,and just made hubs to fit them.

• 2 months later...

I believe the Chrysler 77 also had 7 lug wheels. 

The cover you take off to insert a feeler guage to adjust brakes was also used on 34 to 36 auburns, these are not Auburn but maybe that type of brake adjustment was only used on a few cars??

1 hour ago, carsgoneby said:

I have a complete Cadillac diff center pumpkin with gears which I believe is 1930-31 vintage, part number cast on housing is 787181.   Anybody out there need this?

You need to put this over on the For Sale section,it's unlikely anyone looking for one would find your post here.

56 minutes ago, viv w said:

I believe the Chrysler 77 also had 7 lug wheels. 

The cover you take off to insert a feeler guage to adjust brakes was also used on 34 to 36 auburns, these are not Auburn but maybe that type of brake adjustment was only used on a few cars??

Thanks Viv,Any idea is a good one on these. I had a pair of 7-lug wheels I was going to try on these but they were put in too good of a place I guess,definitely among the missing. Also a few things have walked away. Got that Nash airborn yet?