1970 Chevy Nova information

Don Jr.

Hi, Helping a friend looking for info on a rarer 1970 Chevy Nova. Is there a Nova  club ( not muscle car club ) near New York State where he might find info on this car. Supposedly a car that the dealer owner ordered new for himself but ended up in hands of my friend. From what he is finding it has all the high performance options but has the lower powered engine. Possibly swapped from a previous owner. I am going to get vin number and get block numbers to help identify this car. He would like to start working on it after it sitting for several years in his possession. Any help would be appreciated. Know this is not a vintage car but this forum has many members with great knowledge. Thanks.

www.nnnova.com

Based out of York PA.

Not a vintage car? It's 52 years old and the fact a high performance Nova survived at all says something. Around here they got beat to pieces or turned into drag cars.

If it had a performance engine not unusual to find it MIA. Big block or small block car?

• Like 1

Thank you. This forum is amazing for details of cars that are and approaching  100 years old. Yes I am of the age where 1970's cars were common in the day as a young man and were not in my mind antiques. Have to remember these cars are up there. I will see him tomorrow and get more details about the car. For some reason he believes possibly the dealer swapped the engine out when new why?? .The motor numbers will shed some light on this. He is not pro porting the Nova is super rare car but may have been a special ordered car by the dealership owner as he was told.  He has asked me to help him get the car started up. So much cleaning and lubing before we fire her up. Will report back as we progress. Much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops, Forgot to answer. Supposed to have had high performance small block 375 H.P. but car has a 300 H.P. engine now according to him. I have not seen car yet.  So block numbers / casting date may shed light on this. I will pull a valve cover to check head casting numbers too. Verify transmission numbers and posi rear end info. It is a 12 bolt unit with correct leaf springs and sway bar setup.

8 hours ago, Don Jr. said:

Oops, Forgot to answer. Supposed to have had high performance small block 375 H.P. but car has a 300 H.P. engine now according to him. I have not seen car yet.  So block numbers / casting date may shed light on this. I will pull a valve cover to check head casting numbers too. Verify transmission numbers and posi rear end info. It is a 12 bolt unit with correct leaf springs and sway bar setup.

I would sure appreciate seeing and reading all the information you get off the car, engine, etc. Perhaps you know the locations of the engine numbers and codes, but if not, see the photo I attached. If your friend doesn’t mind, some photos would be great also. We like photos here.

632160D9-900C-4F1D-9E51-F68A93918AF7.jpeg

• Like 1

Yes I do but thanks . Have a 1961 Corvette that I had to play the decipher game to find out what she was. Brought her home in a bushel basket in 1972 as a beat street strip car that nobody wanted back then.. Seeing owner today. It will be after next Tuesday as we are serving our county community with a Thanksgiving basket for 2000 families up against it. Works out to 10,000 people will get a nice hot meal they can cook for the holiday. My donation to help the needy. Been at this for well over 40 years. I will get the info and report. Thank you again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Only 375HP available for '70 was the 396 big block. One quick tell tale sign for a big block car is fuel line will be 3/8 diameter. 
So if you do have 3/8 fuel line and a small block, more than likely a swap. 
There is a guy local to me that has an original '70 Nova with the 300HP 350/4spd.  
Not many made. But they are out there. 

• Like 2

Thought some dealer COPO "finagling" could have got the 370hp LT-1 in 1970 Nova? Or was it strictly limited to Corvette and Z/28?

Even a 350/300 is a lotta horsepower in a lightweight toad like a Nova.

Since sounds like there's been some engine swapping here's a thought. Could the car have been ordered with a lower hp 350 and original selling dealer installed a GMPD LT-1 before the sale? Then reinstalled a 350/300 later?

Hate to be cynical but we all know that's why numbers-matching Chevrolets go for premium money. I've never known many high-performance Chevrolets that retained their original drivetrains past the first owner.

• Like 2

Hi, Tomorrow I am done with our food program. Have more info on this car and will verify what he stated about it to make sure I post what is known. Very interesting story I am getting. I have asked the owner to give me the vin number to see what it left the factory so at least start this mystery. The car is packed in his garage and I asked him if I can get to it so I can record the  casting number, and front pad numbers of the engine. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Don Jr. said:

Hi, Tomorrow I am done with our food program. Have more info on this car and will verify what he stated about it to make sure I post what is known. Very interesting story I am getting. I have asked the owner to give me the vin number to see what it left the factory so at least start this mystery. The car is packed in his garage and I asked him if I can get to it so I can record the  casting number, and front pad numbers of the engine. Thanks.

How about if I can get to it to buy it from him? It's not doing him or anyone else any good packed away in his garage.

Hi, Got more info. Here we go. A mechanic that worked at the local dealership asked the dealership owner to order him a 1970 Nova as the 1971 models would be changed. It was late for this to happen but dealership owner said he could help him. The mechanic wanted to purchase the Nova to tow his drag car and possibly drag the new Nova. The car came in but it was registered as a 1971 Chevy Nova! The mechanic owned it for less than a year and sold it to my friend's wife. They have owned it ever since. My friend became confused as the Nova had all the 1970 Nova attributes. He contacted someone from Hemmings and the contact gave him what to look for to determine if it is indeed a 1970 or registered as a 1971. Here is the info on the car

1. Gold with black vinyl top

2. Rubber floor mats

3. Nova SS badges and all associated items a SS should have.

4. Dog dish hub caps

5. Wide ratio Muncie m-21 transmission

6. 12 bolt posi

7. Multi leaf springs

8. HD sway bar

9. AM radio

10. PS/PB

11. No AC

12.No wood grain on dash

Car was supposed to come in with high performance engine. Badge on front fender has 350 script.

He believes it is a 300HP engine but not sure.

All the above items as he was told should be on a 1970 Nova not a 1971 Nova.

My friend changed the shifter to a Hurst unit, removed the wheels and tires and caps and installed Mags on it. He has retained all the above factory items he removed.

I have requested the vin number off the registration and requested to come over to check out the engine numbers. He said he will do that.

The car has never seen a winter since it was new. It was drag raced a few times and told he has timing slips for 13.68 in 1/4 mile.

And finally I asked if it is fr sale. The answer right now is no. He wants to start working on it. Been left in garage unused for 7 years now.

If I can get the vin number and block numbers possibly could find out what it left the factory with and what is there now. First owner did not swap engine out.

that is it for now. I will contact him next week to see if I can at least get vin number. Thanks.

• Like 1

And just remembered another detail. The car needed a new clutch somewhere along the line and they bought a 10 1/2 inch clutch as a replacement ahead of time and started to change it at a gas station after hours. When they tried to install the new clutch pack they discovered it was too small as opposed to the one they pulled. They had to push the car out and get the bigger clutch pack the next day to finish the job the next night.

• 1 month later...

O.K. The sky parted with sunshine and my friend called me with some info I requested. Here is the vin number. 114271W206121. Car is registered as a 1971 Nova but equipped as a 1970 Nova. I asked him to now get me the casting number from the rear of the block and the stamped numbers on the front of the block. During the conversation he said there is only a fuel vapor canister under the hood and does not think there is any other pollution parts under there. He never removed any and does not think previous owner removed anything either. If I can get my eyes under the hood I can verify this fact. Sorry for the long delay on this but making headway with him. Hope the vin number sheds some light on this car.

46 minutes ago, Don Jr. said:

114271W206121

First digit 1 = Chevrolet

2nd & 3rd digits 14 = V8

4th & 5th digits 27 = 2 Door Sedan

6th digit 1 = 1971

7th digit W = Willow Run, MI

Last 6 digits 206121 = Production Sequence. This car was number 106,120 in the production line, 106,119 cars before it.

I'm anxious to see the block casting number & the engine ID code from the front pad.

HOW ABOUT SOME PHOTOS?

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)

59 minutes ago, Don Jr. said:

Here is the vin number. 114271W206121. Car is registered as a 1971 Nova but equipped as a 1970 Nova.

The car is registered as 1971 Nova because the VIN is a 1971 VIN. Unless you have personal knowledge of the car from the day it left the assembly line, you have no idea what equipment it came with. A lot can happen to a car in half a century. I've pretty much heard all the "special order" stories, and they have never been backed up with one scrap of documentation. Without proof, the story is just a story. A photo of the cowl tag would be useful.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the engine code doesn't appear in GM VINs until 1972 and doesn't appear on the data plate at all. The VIN you've posted is for a 1971 V8 Nova. Post the body data plate so we can see the Nova's build date. If it's a very late build it might explain a few things.

114271W:

1- Chevrolet Division 

1- Nova 

4- V8

27- 2 door sedan

1- 1971 (1970 would be "0" in this position)

W- Willow Run MI assembly plant

206121: I'd translate that as an August or September 1970 build, which puts it in the 1971 model year. 2 is the starting VIN sequential number so 6,121st Nova built at Willow Run.

If you can get in the trunk see if there's a rectangular shaped can up against the back seat bulkhead. That's the fuel tank vent and vapor recovery system which first appeared in 1971 except 1970 in California.

images.jpeg.jpg

This is pre-71 venting:

pic-4586191336897397122-1600x1200.jpeg.jpg

Have you checked with National Nostalgic Nova yet?

Hi, as soon as he lets me stop over and unearth some things in his garage, I will check about the above venting system. That would help. I guess I am going to wait until I see the car itself before I contact the National Nostalgic Nova group. No sense before I can verify some things here. The current owner purchased it from the original owner when it was just shy of 1 yr old. He believes it was 10 months old when he bought it. So it has been in his possession since mid 1971. No one else had it. Any idea when model years changed between 1970 and 1971? I will try and ask him actually when he took possession of it. Again as I was told original owner who was a mechanic of dealership ordered it really late in 1970 and  dealership owner pushed the order so original owner had a 1970 car not a 1971 car!

If it has a 1971 VIN, it's a '71. Period. GM didn't just build a car and slap any old numbers on it and they didn't make mistakes or let people order things that didn't exist. The biggest, most powerful engine you could get in '71 was a 270 horsepower 350--the 396 was gone. It wouldn't be unusual for it to have a number of different engines along the way, of course, but if it's a real SS (no way to really tell without a build sheet or window sticker/invoice) then it would have a 350 with 270 horsepower. There's no way a dealership could have "special ordered" something GM wasn't building in 1971, even if they botched the original order and couldn't get him the big block Nova he wanted.

It's likely that the original owner ordered the car late in the 1970 model year (like in the summer) and received a '71, which probably went into production sometime in September. So you could get a car delivered in, say, October 1970 that was actually a 1971 model. The VIN is the only thing that matters--that tells you what year it is and what options it possibly could have had. Sadly, a 396 or a 350 horsepower 350 were not among them. Sorry.

• Like 1

Look, either the VIN is correct, in which case this is a 1971 model year car, or it isn't, in which case you have a bigger problem. The original engine block and transmission case will have VIN derivative stamps, which prove if they are the original factory-installed parts or not. And "He believes it is a 300HP engine but not sure. "?!?!?  C'mon, that's the first red flag that the seller is either clueless or lying. GM could not and did not arbitrarily put 1970 parts into a 1971 model year car. They were not allowed to do so by federal law, since 1971 was the first year that cars were required to run on low-lead gasoline and incorporate certain emissions control systems. GM didn't violate these laws. You can believe whatever fairy tail you want, but unless the VIN tag has been swapped, this is a 1971 model year car, period. Again, post photos of the VIN tag, cowl tag, block VIN derivative, trans VIN derivative, carb stamping, distributor stamping, and casting numbers from the major engine pieces.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Don't get discouraged, Don Jr. A 1971 Nova is a cool car, period. And according to your VIN, that is indeed what this car is. 

When you try to determine the factory-original history of a car like this, NO single bit of evidence is very convincing to people who really, really know these cars. Even build sheets and Protecto-Plates are available as reproductions, and some of them look very authentic. And "verbal histories" from owners and previous owners frankly carry very little credibility with the general car-buying public. Thus serious collectors of Chevy muscle cars try to piece together the most complete picture possible, by scrutinizing LOTS of telling details and then trying to create a chronological trail to follow. For example, when was the engine block made as a raw casting (the casting number and casting date code). Next, when was the block machined and assembled as an engine? (stamped-in engine date code) Next, we try to find production date codes on lots of other components (IE: cylinder heads, intake, exhaust manifolds, water pump, alternator, starter, master cylinder, power brake booster (if present), wiper motor, rear axle, transmission, etc). Then we look to that Trim Tag on the firewall, and determine the year, month, and week that the body was assembled. Obviously, the block must be cast before it can be machined and assembled. And other components (if original to this car) must have been produced before the engine was completed (generally speaking...there are rare exceptions for smaller components, such as backorders and labor strikes). And all of these things must have been completed before the car itself was assembled. So finding all these date codes in a sequence goes a long way toward convincing collectors that a car may be close to original as manufactured. 

Without writing an entire book here, my point is really to share with you that all the experienced collectors who are responding to your post here are trying to gather the information which is essential to confirming what this car really was on the day it left the assembly line. We need LOTS of information, and when we are examining one of these cars for our own potential purchase, we often spend several hours examining the details as pointed out above. 

No matter what, a 1970 Chevy Nova V8 2-door is a pretty cool car, for Chevy folks. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lump said:

...Even build sheets and Protecto-Plates are available as reproductions, and some of them look very authentic...

Yeah, unfortunately when there is money to be made, forgeries are not far behind. "Antiquing" of documents has been around much longer than musclecars. I've never understood the need for "reproduction window stickers, build sheets, etc.

21 minutes ago, Don Jr. said:

Well sorry to trouble folks here. Thank you.

No trouble, Don Jr, and don't let well-intended gruff comments bother you. We truly do love to help folks solve automotive mysteries like this, and we welcome folks like you who want to share their cool cars, etc. We can help you identify specifics about this Nova, and my whole intent was to share with you the particular clues we use to help us solve the challenge. 

As I said before, a 1971 V8 2-door Nova is a wonderful car, which is right up my alley. Keep feeding us photos, questions, etc, and we can keep providing you with insights. 

Best wishes for the holidays too! -----Jim W

2 hours ago, Don Jr. said:

Well sorry to trouble folks here. Thank you.

2 hours ago, lump said:

don't let well-intended gruff comments bother you.

If you'd rather not continue this thread due to some of the comments made by "experts" here, please PM me and I'll try to help you decipher codes and figure out what your buddy has. I'm not an expert, but do know where to look for the information you seek. It's unfortunate that people come across so strong on here sometimes that they end up turning someone like you off. Maybe someone here didn't get what they wanted for Christmas. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

If you'd rather not continue this thread due to some of the comments made by "experts" here, please PM me and I'll try to help you decipher codes and figure out what your buddy has. I'm not an expert, but do know where to look for the information you seek. It's unfortunate that people come across so strong on here sometimes that they end up turning someone like you off. 

The code was already deciphered above by an expert. 

A lot can happen to a car in 50+ years, and perhaps some photos of it will help us help the owner to inform him what he has based on what we can see.   Unfortunately in this case, the truth hurts, regardless how subtle or strong someone presents the information.

Craig

4 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Which expert would that be? I know the VIN was decoded. I'm waiting on the engine codes. I'm curious about what engine it actually is. Would also like to see the Trim Tag.

You and 'rocketraider'.  Both your serial number breakdowns are consistent, and 'by the book'.  

Indeed, the owner will have complete the process by providing us the Trim Tag information, as well as engine info.    As I stated, photos would be helpful, including the interior, to see if the seats do match the Trim Tag.  

Craig

Finding a build date which I would surmise is on the cowell tag? would be helpful. What are the items that make you think it is a 1970?

I have no idea how the early 70's worked with GM, but I have a 1977 Trans Am, build date 3rd week of Sept '76. The changeover for that model year was first week of Sept. My car came from the factory with some 1976 'leftover' interior parts. 

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

You and 'rocketraider'.  Both your serial number breakdowns are consistent, and 'by the book'.  

Indeed, the owner will have complete the process by providing us the Trim Tag information, as well as engine info.    As I stated, photos would be helpful, including the interior, to see if the seats do match the Trim Tag.  

Craig

9 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Perhaps the "owner" does not have a CAMERA?

Ben

First, I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I do have very good reference materials.

Second, the owner isn't the one posting here. I would guess that if the owner can't furnish the information requested, Don Jr. will get it by taking photos or at least writing down the info & posting it. 

Third, the owner IS NOT SELLING FOR NOW! If people brushed up on their reading comprehension, they would have read that in one of the early posts. Maybe they were in too much of a rush to browbeat the OP and to show their vast knowledge of the subject at hand.