Generator, Distributor and Starter Delco Remy tags

Trreinke

I have started to accessorize my motor for my '31 Chevrolet.

Looking through the tons of pictures I have and the collection of starters/generators I have I seem to find a discrepancy on what the correct tags should be.

A picture from the 1930 Chevrolet service news show a generator with a large tag only listing Anderson Ind on the top.

A factory photo from a 1938 Chevy shows a small tag still only listing Anderson, Ind.

However, I have a 943J with same tag as shown on the '38 and a 943J with a large tag but lists both Dayton Ohio and Anderson Ind.

So with that being said, I have a few questions:

1. Is there a rhyme/reason as to when/why Delco Remy listed both cities on their tags?

2. Was there a specific year they started using the smaller tags on the generator and starter? (I assume the large tag was never used on the distributor, but I could be wrong)

3. Did Delco Remy ever just list Dayton Ohio on the tags?

20221027_211725~2.jpg

20221027_211210~2.jpg

20210718_074608~4.jpg

20210718_072921~2.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting questions. Although I can‘t answer them for sure, it will probably shed some light onto this topic when you know the history of Delco-Remy.

In the early days Delco and Remy were two independent companies. The Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco) was founded on July 22, 1909 and the Remy Electric Company was incorporated in 1901. In 1916 Delco and Remy were sold to United Motors Corporation, a syndicate of automobile component manufacturing companies. Two years later United Motors Corporation was sold to GM. Under GM, Delco and Remy operated separately until 1926. On January 1st 1927 Delco was merged with Remy and the two plants in Dayton and Anderson became known as the Delco-Remy Corporation. The starting, lighting and ignition business was transferred from Dayton to Anderson. The Dayton facility concentrated on the design, manufacture and marketing of aviation ignition systems and fractional horsepower motors for use primarily in Frigidaire refrigerators. Because the Delco-Remy organization had grown extensively, GM reorganized the Delco-Remy Corporation on January 1st 1929 and established three distinct GM Divisions - Delco-Remy in Anderson, Guide Lamp in Anderson and Delco Products in Dayton.

Prior to 1927 Delco and Remy had its own numbering systems for parts, starters, generators and distributors. When the companies merged in 1927, the Delco numbering system was dropped and the Remy system was continued. Delco used 1 to 5 digit numbers - 5xxx numbers for distributors, 1-3xx numbers for starters and generators etc. On early Delco equipment the unit ID numbers were usually stamped to the housings. In the 20‘s Delco started using tags (usually not stamped with numbers). Some of the early Delco style tags were carried into the early Delco-Remy era.

Late Remy style tags were continued in the Delco-Remy era.

To answer your questions as far as I see things:

1. I believe they mentioned both cities during the merger in 1927 until the reorganization in 1929.

2. I have around 300 starters and generators. Up to the early 30‘s I have only seen large tags on starters and generators. Around the mid 30‘s I find both, large and small. I don‘t see any large tags on my starters and generators from the late 30‘s and newer.

I‘ve never seen a large tag on a distributor.

3. Only on pre-1927 Delco units.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

From 1937 Delco-Remy started using 7-digit numbers for starters, generators and distributors (e.g. 1107995 instead of 943-B etc.). From that point tags did no longer have two separate fields for serial and model numbers.

BEB8F11B-E028-4E08-A5F3-05D922C7ACE8.jpeg

I don't think 1937 is a hard and fast date for that change. I have seen 1937 and 1938 Buicks with the two separate blocks on tags that appear to be original equipment. 

• Like 2

I‘m sure you‘re right it‘‘s not a hard and fast date for that change. I just noticed that the first 7-digit number units came up as early as 1937. Buick still used the old numbers up until 1937. Distributors and generators changed for 1938 but the starter on 1938 models remained the same as used since 1936 on Series 60, 80 and 90 models (and since 1934 on Series 40 models). So the change must depend on numbers, not on a year.

A1C29291-0BC8-41D5-9593-30C73793373D.jpeg

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, 32PONTIAC said:

Any place to get a tag with the 2 fields and have them with numbers

stamped in them? Also how is the best way to remove tag for replacemnt

aren't they rivited in place? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 32PONTIAC said:

Any place to get a tag with the 2 fields and have them with numbers

stamped in them? Also how is the best way to remove tag for replacemnt

aren't they rivited in place? 

Bob's Automobilia sells blank reproduction tags. I am not aware of anybody who can "Stamp" them but any engraver who can do diamond drag engraving should be able to engrave them. I have removed the "rivets" by using a set of small diagnonal wire cutters by placing the jaws at the edge of the rivet heads and squeezing them so that the jaws slide under the head and then gently pry the rivets out. If you can't find anybody else to engrave one for you locally, I can do it. The attached photo is one that I recently engraved for forum member Gary Wheeler. 

IMG_20221019_155940095.jpg

• Like 4

It is interesting that there are currently 3 different discussions on the forum regarding these tags and that I just recently completed one for Gary (and he and I were typing at the same time on this particular discussion). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I have removed the "rivets" by using a set of small diagnonal wire cutters by placing the jaws at the edge of the rivet heads and squeezing them so that the jaws slide under the head and then gently pry the rivets out.

That‘s the way to do it…

….they usually come off easy when you twist the cutter ccw. Aren‘t those rivets called „hammer screws“…? …..in my neck of the woods they are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter R. said:

That‘s the way to do it…

….they usually come off easy when you twist the cutter ccw. Aren‘t those rivets called „hammer screws“…? …..in my neck of they are.

There seems to be a lot of different names that people use to describe them. I have usually heard them called "drive rivets". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I have usually heard them called "drive rivets". 

That's the term we used in the electric motor repair shop. We had to remove the tags before we baked the motor stators to remove the old windings.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

Bob's Automobilia sells blank reproduction tags. I am not aware of anybody who can "Stamp" them but any engraver who can do diamond drag engraving should be able to engrave them. I have removed the "rivets" by using a set of small diagnonal wire cutters by placing the jaws at the edge of the rivet heads and squeezing them so that the jaws slide under the head and then gently pry the rivets out. If you can't find anybody else to engrave one for you locally, I can do it. The attached photo is one that I recently engraved for forum member Gary Wheeler. 

IMG_20221019_155940095.jpg

I had taken mine to a local jewelry shop and had it engraved, and the guy nailed it! Correct font and everything it was pretty cheap around $20, 

Fascinating thread! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, zepher said:

Is it for a six or eight?

It‘s for an Eight. Sixes did not use Delco distributors. Only 1925-26 Eights used Delco distributors. Two different Delco distributors were used; Delco, 5276 and 5292.

This one is Delco 5276, original distributor used on the 1925 Rickenbacker Eight. It‘s the one with twin rotor and two coil cap.

BC313304-D4EC-4FF3-862B-D293291E4919.jpeg

20190820_072737.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can supply and stamp any tag you may need. I carry many different ones, some with both Anderson and Dayton, some with only one, both large and small. The rivets are referred to U-drive screws and if you buy the tag from me I will include new rivets/screws. Email me direct with any questions or specifics.

Thanks,

Jason

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders

jason@aerrebuild.com

• Like 4