Jump to content

Trreinke

Members
  • Posts

    32
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

Trreinke's Achievements

  • Dedicated Rare
  • Collaborator

Recent Badges

47

Reputation

  1. In my mind "patina" should only refer to well preserved original paint. anything else is "wear-and-tear"
  2. How many of you have submitted articles of interest about your pre-WW2 cars? Maybe the problem (and I do consider a lack of pre-war content a problem) is a lack of content?
  3. Is anyone aware of a group of people or a club that is focused on Chevettes? I am aware of the VCCA and many Corvette clubs but nothing for Chevettes. I had a couple reach out to me see if I knew of one. My apologies if this is the wrong place to ask
  4. Great to see such a beautiful and rare car being enjoyed on the road. Too often, such cars become trailer babies!
  5. I wanted to use a beam clamp originally, but I couldn't find a modern one that was close enough.
  6. Reproducing the controller for a 1931 Chevrolet winterfront. Picture of original controller (from ebay, years ago) My controller.
  7. I did a lot of soul-searching as to how glossy I was going to go with the frame. I realize the frame left the factory with a satin finish, but if I was going to put lots of time and money into this car I wanted it to look as good as possible. Plus, I already had plenty of gloss black paint. It pains me to know it is now a "custom" job, but I still think it will look better. However, since I have limited garage space, I needed to cover the frame really well, so I would not get over spray on it while working on other parts and in doing so I got some moisture marks on the frame rails, which I had to buff out. So not only did I use gloss paint, it is also buffed out and quite glossy. I can't wait for some road grit to dull it up a bit. Here are some other random pictures of assembly and brake work.
  8. I still have the original springs, and they have plenty of arch in them (I wonder if the old owner, had them rearched). When I put the rear axle housing bushing blocks on, the springs had to much arch for them to sit flat. Right now I have them very snug and will (hopefully remember) to reseat them once there is more weight on the frame. There is also too much arch to attach the shock arms. I did test the shock arms by compressing the springs with a couple of ratchet straps but I didn't want to leave them much tension on the shocks.
  9. Over the past fall and winter I did a lot of assembly of the chassis. Technically, I have a rolling chassis right now, but no motor. I only made one big mistake so far (that I know of). When hanging the front axle, I was did not remember some tapered spacer plates that go between the axle and the springs. I tried a bunch of things trying to get the axel and springs to fit together correctly and in the process scratched a lot of paint. Here is a picture showing the spacer plates installed. Luckily, that is a mistake I will never make again!
  10. Definitely take the memories. I am very thankful for the cars my grandpa left behind, but I would trade them in a heartbeat for more time with him. He taught me most of what I know about cars and I think about him every day I see a car. That is what I think this hobby is really about.
  11. On only a few of the bigger parts, like drums and brake flanges did I decided after I painted them to resand and put another coat on. It won't be perfect, I thought I did pretty well for my first time painting. Luckily my dad has restored a few tractors and was able to give me a lot of tips!
  12. The spring and summer of 2020 I was able to sand, fill, prime and paint all the little parts for the chassis. I had no idea there were so many parts! Luckily, covid provided me with a 6 week extended stay-at-home vacation and the weather was decent. Being as the car was in pieces I was lucky that almost nothing was missing. Thankfully, my wife was kind enough to let me use a spare room in the house for storage so I didn't have to worry about overspray on the finished parts.
  13. First I sanded and wire wheeled (using an angle grinder) all the old primer off. Then I filled the side rails and underside with body filler. Then sprayed with (high build)primer, sanded, primed again, sanded again and painted. I think the body filler may be where I screwed up. The second coat was put on on a weekday last winter when I didn't let the frame heat up for hours, so it was fairly cool. So it could be moisture as well. Oh well, I am learning!
  14. Sadly, I think I made a mistake to not have the frame sandblasted. After I painted it, it looked really nice (nearly perfect). I used a Martin Senoir black gloss black paint (as recommended by uncle who owns a body shop). After a few months, maybe because of the cold, some small "bubbles" emerged from the paint right above the rear wheels. I think some of the body filler might have pushed out of the pits in that area.
  15. The first thing I did was sand and wire brush all the old primer off the frame. In the 1970's the frame had been stripped of all paint and and covered with a thick layer of primer. Well there was rust in all the little pits under the primer so I went at the frame with a DA sander and wire brushes to clean it really well by hand then filled the outside and underside of the frame rails and cross members. I am too lazy to fill the inside of the frame rails, I am hoping the shadows under the car will let it look good enough. Here are some pictures of the frame work.
×
×
  • Create New...