1961 Ambassador Custom 327 Rambler @ $9k Canadian

I wouldn't change a thing there. I am a fan of that engine. I'd like it better if it was 3 speed overdrive, but these 61 Ambassadors are uncommon enough you probably don't get to be picky. I can count on one hand how many of these I have seen in the flesh since 1976 or so when I started paying attention. I don't believe they sold many or that they were ever common.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bloo said:

I wouldn't change a thing there. I am a fan of that engine. I'd like it better if it was 3 speed overdrive, but these 61 Ambassadors are uncommon enough you probably don't get to be picky. I can count on one hand how many of these I have seen in the flesh since 1976 or so when I started paying attention. I don't believe they sold many or that they were ever common.

Bloo:

We had four AMC dealers within twenty miles here in those years but only rarely did an Ambassador show up.  The sold hundreds of Rambler Americans, Supers, Classics, the area was lousy with them.  By comparison for 1961 production: Lincoln Continental: 25,160; Ambassador: 18,842; Imperial: 12,258; Studebaker Hawk: 3,929. 

AMC kept the Ambassador in the product line to give former Nash and Hudson owners an AMC model they still could consider 'full-sized' which it was nominally in overall length if not width.  Never mind that it was essentially a Rambler Classic with nine additional inches added to the front-axle-to-dash length paired with fancier trim and interior plus the 327 V8 engine.  It was a smart strategy; it kept a percentage of buyers who otherwise would have turned to other makes for a full-sized car.

Steve

• Like 3