How quiet should a 38 special be.

sloperlad

Not having  anyone to compare the 38 special to, when driving should the experience be reasonably quiet, with a bit of road and engine noise , mine is very loud , the muffler has no holes but is quiet old ,  exhaust pipes are good, I can only assume baffles may have given up.  I would appreciate the advice.

Little to no engine noise from my '38 Century going down the road; even when pulling hills.  There is some tire noise and a couple of rattles over potholes or expansion joints.  My muffler is not 'correct', but it appears to be the same type as original (i.e., cylindrical, ~6 inches in diameter).  According to the shop manual, the original muffler is supposed to be a straight-through type.  Mine has slightly offset input/output and is welded onto the pipes, so I can't confirm what it looks like internally.  When the engine is warm and idling it is virtually silent.

My '41 is also very quiet. It has a nice sound at idle, but at speed it's almost silent. In fact, I added a second resonator-type muffler to make it even quieter. There's some intake woosh when accelerating but you should not hear exhaust when you're just cruising with light throttle. A new muffler might be a pleasing investment.

• Like 2

If your car is loud, you need a muffler or some other exhaust component replaced. When I first got my 1937 Century, when I rolled up to a stop sign, I kept finding myself reving the engine up just to hear it to make sure it was still running. I was used to Model A Fords that made much more noise when running. It took a while to get used to how quiet it was (and still is).  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Exhaust manifold is not cracked and no leaks, doing a process of elimination, valve clearance check, engine has had a rebuild, carby rebuild, Exhaust pipes ok , going by previous comments I will change the muffler, yet another tune, tyres ,bias,  are new, at the moment thecold girl sounds like it has wind pain. 

It is good to know these vehicles are to proceed quietly down the road and thankyou for the supplied information

7 hours ago, MCHinson said:

When I first got my 1937 Century, when I rolled up to a stop sign, I kept finding myself reving the engine up just to hear it to make sure it was still running.

I had the same experience with my '41 Super.  It took me a while to get used to the fact that you literally could not hear the engine idling at a red light.  I kept thinking it had stalled.  I agree with others that sloperlad probably needs a new muffler.

The length and baffles inside the muffler make a big difference.  I switched out a standard Walker muffler on my 54 with the correct muffler (size, etc). The correct muffler is twice the size the Walker muffler it replaced.  The tone was completely different at idle and at speed. Much quieter.   I believe my exhaust system is from Waldron's. Your muffler should be quite long. Most were at the time. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 2