Hood leaks onto motor - I have a 1940 buick and the hood hinged I center leaks.

40buick90

Spray WD40 over the whole engine, inc. the wires, sparkplugs and distributor and don't worry about it.

Every car that I own gets it's bath of WD40 and is washed with plain water and starts every time.

Ps, spray and wipe down the whole engine compartment for a nice pale luster.

👍

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that if it were a significant issue, one could fabricate and install some type of trough or gutter under the hinge with a drain tube at one end or the other.   

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Hood leaks onto motor - I have a 1940 buick and the hood hinged I center leaks.

There is a (silicone-based) product which is used to wrap the inner surface of a road wheel to seal spoke rims when using a tubeless tire - I forgot the name, but it is readily available in varied widths online. I believe it is flexible enough to stand up to your desired use, applying it to the inner center surface of the hood hinge.

Considering your already existing modification,

being entirely non-original (V-8 Engine, electric fan, 12-Volt, etc, etc, etc...)

I would imagine you could fabricate some kind of internal shield to duct away the leaks,

but it does not seem that serious a situation-

then again, you could modify the hood, welding it into a single piece, and hinging it either conventionally at the rear,

or hinging at the front as in a Jaguar XK-E ...

On the other hand, re-installing the Buick Straight Eight Fireball, you would have the Overhead Valve Cover straight down the center, and water intrusion woould be even less of a concern - just an opinion, and likely not what you want to hear.

Edited by Marty Roth
additional note (see edit history)

20 hours ago, Akstraw said:

I suppose that if it were a significant issue, one could fabricate and install some type of trough or gutter under the hinge with a drain tube at one end or the other.   

i have seen this on several cars. I don't know if it was ever a production or accessory item, but it works. You just have to make it look like it belongs there.

On 9/24/2022 at 12:50 PM, Marty Roth said:

There is a (silicone-based) product which is used to wrap the inner surface of a road wheel to seal spoke rims when using a tubeless tire - I forgot the name, but it is readily available in varied widths online. I believe it is flexible enough to stand up to your desired use, applying it to the inner center surface of the hood hinge.

Considering your already existing modification,

being entirely non-original (V-8 Engine, electric fan, 12-Volt, etc, etc, etc...)

I would imagine you could fabricate some kind of internal shield to duct away the leaks,

but it does not seem that serious a situation-

then again, you could modify the hood, welding it into a single piece, and hinging it either conventionally at the rear,

or hinging at the front as in a Jaguar XK-E ...

On the other hand, re-installing the Buick Straight Eight Fireball, you would have the Overhead Valve Cover straight down the center, and water intrusion woould be even less of a concern - just an opinion, and likely not what you want to hear.

At least a Buick engine was used.

Ben

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

At least a Buick engine was used.

My comment wasn't nice but I have a '48 Chrysler in my garage with a 350 Chevy in it and a Camaro subframe. I am doing things to make it look like stuff belongs there.

My big concession will be using black tie wraps. Those are usually reserved for Rolls-Royce work.

The hard part for me will be designing the "Spitfire Bentate" valve cover logos.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

My comment wasn't nice but I have a '48 Chrysler in my garage with a 350 Chevy in it and a Camaro subframe. I am doing things to make it look like stuff belongs there.

My big concession will be using black tie wraps. Those are usually reserved for Rolls-Royce work.

The hard part for me will be designing the "Spitfire Bentate" valve cover logos.

Wouldn't have you any other way , Bernie.

Ben