63 parts help day 22

Dundee

I believe that top thingamajig bolts to the bottom rear of the engine adjacent to the bell housing, you know, where the oil drips out. The next two pieces go inside the openings in front of the doors,( blocking the opening into the front fenders)That next one has me stumped, but I will go out & look for it on the car asap. But before that happens Im sure someone will chime in on it.

9 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

I believe that top thingamajig bolts to the bottom rear of the engine adjacent to the bell housing, you know, where the oil drips out. The next two pieces go inside the openings in front of the doors,( blocking the opening into the front fenders)That next one has me stumped, but I will go out & look for it on the car asap. But before that happens Im sure someone will chime in on it.

Thanks Rivnik, great start..I guess those 2 door panels is where I need 2 of those u shaped rubber door seal thingamies where the mechanism that holds the door open goes??

41 minutes ago, Dundee said:

Thanks Rivnik, great start..I guess those 2 door panels is where I need 2 of those u shaped rubber door seal thingamies where the mechanism that holds the door open goes??

Mmm maybe not, what is the rubber for lock pillar filler all about?

14 hours ago, Dundee said:

13 hours ago, Dundee said:

Mmm maybe not, what is the rubber for lock pillar filler all about?

For the fender fillers you will need 3 rubber pieces that slide on the outer edge for each side. The last picture is a lock pillar filler.

Bill

P.S. My fender filler panel is for a 1st generation Riviera with manual windows. That is why it looks slightly different. No opening for the rubber boot and wiring.

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

For the fender fillers you will need 3 rubber pieces that slide on the outer edge for each side. The last picture is a lock pillar filler.

Bill

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

Okay thanks 63..

So that filler is in front of the rear quarter...Mine are missing as are the other 3 rubbers. Did find the door wiring boots however! All these little bits plus fixing plus nuts and bolts are a real problem with my stripped down car. I have like 4 parts sites open at the moment trying to find bits compare prices etc and then the shipping OMG! I think I may prefer to get on the phone with the right supplier to put the package together.

7 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

For the fender fillers you will need 3 rubber pieces that slide on the outer edge for each side.

Six years deep into my project and this is new to me! Was unaware of rubber spacers for those filler panels. My passenger side has an awful "creak" over bumps! TX all.

Are they reproduced? Steele Rubber?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Six years deep into my project and this is new to me! Was unaware of rubber spacers for those filler panels. My passenger side has an awful "creak" over bumps! TX all.

I haven’t found those spacers yet 

6 hours ago, XframeFX said:

They are not reproduced that I know of. You will have to reach out to the ROA vendors. I do have those three available.

Bill

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

Same here! Does anyone have these? I have a '65 with power windows; not sure if that makes a difference.

Edited by jframe (see edit history)

1 hour ago, abandg said:

I will send you three for free just send me your info. Gene.

Gene,

Can I assume you are directing the offer to the US lads, very generous..also asking my builder if they can reproduce such an item.

Now I know what I was looking for I found just 2 and for now just adding it to the list that I will inevitably put out there in a few weeks when the car heads south for proper assembly.. Some look more difficult than others but fingers crossed!

Ron 

41 minutes ago, Matt56 said:

Hey Dundee,  Greetings from Melbourne, a fellow RHD Riviera project owner and builder.

41 minutes ago, Matt56 said:

Hey Dundee,  Greetings from Melbourne, a fellow RHD Riviera project owner and builder.

Hi Matt,

thanks for reaching out...Just tested + RAT yesterday so looks like more time in the garage this week..

Not sure if you caught the original thread 'New 63 project on the lot'.. but basically been 6 months speaking with a guy who had an incomplete project underway since 1990, he finally surrendered to the truth and now I am trying to piece the puzzle as much as I can before it goes to Adelaide at the end of month for assembly. 

Whats your Riviera? the RHD will likely present a few curly ones as well I expect.

3 hours ago, Matt56 said:

Greetings from Melbourne, a fellow RHD Riviera project owner and builder.

Matt, would be nice to post an image of the Riv's RHD setup. 1st Generation? Another thing I was unaware of its existence.

Of course, could always 'flip' a film negative😃

3 hours ago, telriv said:

Dundee,

The fender filler panels are held to the door post with 2 #8 sheetmetal type screws about a 1/2" long with a 5/16ths. bolt head.

Tom T.

Tom the extra mile on the details is great but alas the ice cream container of screws offered only 2👀

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 12:19 PM, XframeFX said:

Matt, would be nice to post an image of the Riv's RHD setup. 1st Generation? Another thing I was unaware of its existence.

Of course, could always 'flip' a film negative😃

When next in the garage I'll take some photos.  The conversion was done in 1967.  As was typical at that time, it retains the original steering box, relocated to the right hand side of the chassis is modified to build a structure that surrounds the box.  Not the prettiest but in my opinion good as it retains the most factory parts and geometry (by the 80s many American cars were being converted with mis matched local parts).  I think (but not certain) the drag link may have been modified as part of the conversion.  Inside looks all factory - just on the other side!

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, Dundee said:

Hi Matt,

thanks for reaching out...Just tested + RAT yesterday so looks like more time in the garage this week..

Not sure if you caught the original thread 'New 63 project on the lot'.. but basically been 6 months speaking with a guy who had an incomplete project underway since 1990, he finally surrendered to the truth and now I am trying to piece the puzzle as much as I can before it goes to Adelaide at the end of month for assembly. 

Whats your Riviera? the RHD will likely present a few curly ones as well I expect.

Hi Dundee,

Mine is a '63.  Converted in 1967.  Power windows (but not quarter windows) is about the only option.  Hope covid wasn't too bad to you.  Purchased less engine, trans, drive shaft - incredibly rust free body.  Just doing work to make it safe and road worthy - not a full build.

3 hours ago, Matt56 said:

Hi Dundee,

Mine is a '63.  Converted in 1967.  Power windows (but not quarter windows) is about the only option.  Hope covid wasn't too bad to you.  Purchased less engine, trans, drive shaft - incredibly rust free body.  Just doing work to make it safe and road worthy - not a full build.

Matt

would be interesting to know who was doing the conversions as sounds similar in the steering modification but for me as I look on a the dash there looks like some fabricated metal infill pieces, welds and basic ad on but not sure. Love to see what your Dash looks like installed. I have to try and get some more history from the last owner???

this is the steering box also fabricated into the chassis.

1EF525D5-9F9C-4DDB-952F-865B32AD90FF.jpeg

FE8B4C07-BAB0-4A99-9E8D-99F4D0A97832.jpeg

Well that finally solved the mystery of the two odd looking rubber pieces in the junk box. I determined they were thick enough to cut in half, making four. But that was unnecessary when I realized how easy those filler plate bumpers are to replicate with a suitable piece of rubber, as they are hidden from view & do not need to be visually accurate. Like Xframe, I solved a very annoying rattle that I was previously unable to track down.

8 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Well that finally solved the mystery of the two odd looking rubber pieces in the junk box. I determined they were thick enough to cut in half, making four. But that was unnecessary when I realized how easy those filler plate bumpers are to replicate with a suitable piece of rubber, as they are hidden from view & do not need to be visually accurate. Like Xframe, I solved a very annoying rattle that I was previously unable to track down.

Did you have to glue them’to keep them in place?  What did the finished product look like?

3 hours ago, Dundee said:

Did you have to glue them’to keep them in place?  What did the finished product look like?

I found only one of those rubber blocks in my odds 'n sods. So, I happened across white foam U-Channel on some HVAC ducting. The house won't miss it.

Hopefully this ends that annoying "creak" on the passenger side.

Can't do the driver's side until out of the garage to swing the door wide open.

Before mounting (fits snug after mounting with no glue)

image.png.9058233ad7715fdb0e8ccb01dc2d88d3.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Looks like a small swim noodle. 😁

Thought I recognized the material. Yes, like a swim noodle. I suspect the length might've been packaging foam. It already had a slit.

The panel had vertical elongated holes. Even with the foam, the top edge would contact the edge of the hinge. Tried various positions. Positioning away from the hinge caused heavy rubbing on the rubber wire duct. Details, details.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

nice job,X.  that's usin' yer noodle!  Hey Croc, sorry no pics, but the homemade rubber bumpers turned out pretty close to original in appearance. The slit that allows the bumper to slide on to the panel was made with a thin blade box cutter so it was tight enough to stay on with no adhesive. Once installed, the rubber should contact the inner fender so they aint goin nowhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, Dundee said:

Matt

would be interesting to know who was doing the conversions as sounds similar in the steering modification but for me as I look on a the dash there looks like some fabricated metal infill pieces, welds and basic ad on but not sure. Love to see what your Dash looks like installed. I have to try and get some more history from the last owner???

this is the steering box also fabricated into the chassis.

1EF525D5-9F9C-4DDB-952F-865B32AD90FF.jpeg

FE8B4C07-BAB0-4A99-9E8D-99F4D0A97832.jpeg

That's interesting.  Similar concept but some variations to mine.  Looks like the plate your steering box mounts to is removable; I've not seen that on cars converted in this way.  The idler arm on my car is spaced out from the chassis (guessing to be located where the pitman was in left drive config).

Assume your brake master and booster still on the left hand side?  The one on my car is.

Bill Buckle apparently did Rivieras.  And I assume Chappells would have as well.  And then dealers doing some in smaller numbers.

11 hours ago, Matt56 said:

That's interesting.  Similar concept but some variations to mine.  Looks like the plate your steering box mounts to is removable; I've not seen that on cars converted in this way.  The idler arm on my car is spaced out from the chassis (guessing to be located where the pitman was in left drive config).

Assume your brake master and booster still on the left hand side?  The one on my car is.

Bill Buckle apparently did Rivieras.  And I assume Chappells would have as well.  And then dealers doing some in smaller numbers.

Matt the booster swapped to RHS and accelerator rod back across to LHS. firewall blanked at old booster location.

IMG_5137.JPG

It appears that having the heater box installed will interfere with the power brake booster, unless they have moved the fan to the other side of the engine compartment.

Does this car also have A/C?

This is going to be a challenge, for sure.

6 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

It appears that having the heater box installed will interfere with the power brake booster, unless they have moved the fan to the other side of the engine compartment.

Does this car also have A/C?

This is going to be a challenge, for sure.

Hi Jim,

No factory A/C it had an ugly under dash that I dumped and we are yet to figure our a/c options. Would love to work the factory a/c vents into the car versus the under dash but all to be discussed when brother arrives in a month..

Vent duct had a crude modification and fan change, still have old fan and its base but yes obviously the booster kills that option..

ciao

IMG_5139.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 7:59 AM, Riviera63 said:

Bill

P.S. My fender filler panel is for a 1st generation Riviera with manual windows. That is why it looks slightly different. No opening for the rubber boot and wiring.

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

Bill 

just dragged this old post back up as I am trying to cut some new rubbers for the fender infills though thinking the foam rubber maybe too fragile, see how we go! Anyway found these 4 unusual tappers and they fit nice in the body holes where the guards screw. They have super FLAT heads do you know if they are the ones?

cheers Dundee 

image.jpg

Edited by Dundee
Spellcheck (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dundee said:

Bill 

just dragged this old post back up as I am trying to cut some new rubbers for the fender infills though thinking the foam rubber maybe to fragile, see how we go! Anyway found these 4 unusual tappers and and they fit nice in the body holes where the guards screw. They have super plat heads do you know if they are the ones?

cheers Dundee 

image.jpg

Welll just read back further and receive already confirmed hex heads..

5 hours ago, Dundee said:

Bill 

just dragged this old post back up as I am trying to cut some new rubbers for the fender infills though thinking the foam rubber maybe to fragile, see how we go! Anyway found these 4 unusual tappers and and they fit nice in the body holes where the guards screw. They have super plat heads do you know if they are the ones?

cheers Dundee 

image.jpg

Hi Ron,

Those screws are used to hold various items in the car. Two I can think of are the plastic dash end caps and to hold the channel that runs along the bottom edge of the roof line by the drip edge for the weatherstrip that seals the top edge of the windows.

Bill