1941 super

peterjohn72

Replacements are readily available from the usual suppliers as well as on eBay. I've been using one designed for a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, which has much lighter pedal pressure--it turns on earlier. They cost about $40. Just disconnect the terminals, unscrew the switch, screw in the new one and reconnect the wires. Problem solved!

• Like 4

As already mentioned, these are extremely unreliable. Yes, you can get ones that turn on at a lower pedal pressure now.

I trust these switches about as far as I can throw them. I have had them fail on a lot of cars, sometimes repeatedly. On the day I tried to bring the 36 Pontiac home, I took a friend along who was going to drive my car back to Seattle where I could retrieve it later. He was helping me bulb check the Pontiac before I drove it over Stevens Pass, When he stepped on the brakes and let up something started smoking. Fortunately one of us, I don't remember who, had the presence of mind to reach down and pull a cable off of the battery. Thank god the battery wasn't bolted in solid under the floorboards like it is supposed to be. A little further testing revealed that the switch had shorted to ground and was trying to catch the power feed for the brake lights on fire. The brake lights had been working fine when I was test driving the car before buying it a couple of days earlier. That scuttled the trip over Stevens Pass with my new old car.

I went back a few days later by myself with a new switch. Yes, it looks different. I also wanted an original type. Watch ebay. The original type shows up quite a bit (for my car, not yours, but one for yours probably does too. I wasn't looking for one like yours ;) They are close but not exact.) I bought one like my original, but never put it on as the modern one is working, and what that original switch did spooked me. I have seen a bunch of failures, but I have never seen one short to ground before.

You really should clean-spread-resolder that connector. It looks like it will probably break just from vibration.

Good luck on your search for an original switch. :)

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks for the replys. I replaced the switch its working fine for how long? Got two. Fixed the wires and new connectors. Everything thing is fine. I will drive this car anywhere. Its all original mostly and well taken care of. Again I can drive this car anywhere with no to minimal issues. Super 50 model 56 business coupe. 

20220904_191630.jpg

• Like 3

When I bought my 41 Cadillac back in 1985 the stock brake light switch looked old then. and it still works fine. (knock on wood…)

I would like to have faster reacting brake lights… i’m thinking what it would take to use a lever type switch or a button type switch that would immediately activate upon the slightest bit of movement of the brake pedal… I gotta crawl under there and try and figure out a very easy mounting without messing things up. 

Nice looking car, but I agree that replacing that wiring would be a good idea. I replaced all of my wiring on my '40 Super five years ago after I noticed the cloth insulation would fall off if I touched any of the wiring. I had visions of the car going up in flames. 

• Like 1