Lincoln Emblem ID Needed

TexRiv_63

I need help identifying an emblem I just picked up. It is large, 6 1/8" wide by 1 5/16" high, with "Lincoln 8" in art deco style script. Black enamel with nickel plating, plain machined back with no mark, and two sharp pins for mounting. Never saw this style before, I doubt is any type of original but not sure. Any help appreciated, TIA

20220825_154658.jpg

20220825_154723.jpg

20220825_154735.jpg

20220825_154746.jpg

20220825_154801.jpg

Nobody else had an opinion so I'll chime in. The thin pins on the back make me think it is a lapel pin. But at over 6" long that would be a very big lapel pin. If it is a lapel pin it is missing the retainers. The lettering looks like the script on the 1949,1950,1951 Lincolns but the N is backwards on the emblem in question. Lincoln did not have a V8 until 1949 and after. Earlier Lincolns with a V8 would not have used this script. 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While I would agree that the style of these two scripts are quite similar, I don't see them as being exactly the same.  The script on the one from the OP differs from the one found on Ebay in that there appear to be no rounded edges or curves on the lettering.  Look at the first "L" in Lincoln.  The short section at the top of the "L" running horizontally forms a near 90° angle with the vertical section - there is no rounded edge.  The first "L" in the Ebay script has a very rounded edge at this same area.

This occurs repeatedly in other letters like the "c" and the "n".  The Ebay script appears more rounded, with more of a flow, so to speak.  This suggests to me that the script on the emblem posted by the OP might be a few years older.  The Ebay script, while quite similar, seems to be an update of the older script.

• Like 1