My 58’ Century Caballero Estate Wagon Build

jackofalltrades70

On 9/29/2023 at 1:57 PM, roadmaster_56 said:

Agreed, costly but when they sparkle....mmmmmmm.  Unfortunately, to get the best quality, I've heard one must search outside of my state (CA) due to environmental restrictions...if anyone has has had good CA results please share.

I had my chrome plated and any pitting repaired by Van Nuys Plating in Van Nuys, Ca. This was about 10 years ago, but all of their work still looks great. My first chrome plating was done by Astro Plating and they suck. When plating pot metal the pits looked worse than before it was plated. Van Nuys Plating is located in the San Fernando Valley just North of Los Angeles.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Install the first retainer over the u joint. Then install the torque ball with the end retainer over the entire assembly.  Install the bolts and leave them loose so the torque ball can move. The seal is for the end of the torque ball and goes over the torque tube.  Have to make a .030 paper gasket to go between the torque ball and torque tube.

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed torque ball repair shots. 

When I did my t/b repair, despite following the procedure to the letter, it still leaks at the universal joint/tail shaft (see your pic w/detail below). 

Shop manual photos of early 50's Dynaflows suggest a sleeve over the tip of the shaft....but it's hard to tell and I can't recall if this is so - wish I had taken some pics of my tear down.

Wondering if corrosion/pitting of the shaft caused my new seal to weep? If/when I tear into it again, maybe I'll try a Speedi-sleeve

IMG_1696.jpeg.6846d99c85796d97347a557d526cfefb.jpeg

Didn’t realize the drivers fender is bent in the same place. Paint on passenger fender was flaking off, so sanded down the whole fender to bare metal. Made some good progress yesterday. Removed the undercoating someone had brushed on the underside of the fender.

May not seem like I got far, but progress is progress and puts me one step closer to more assembly

IMG_1745.jpeg

IMG_1744.jpeg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Funny, I was just thinking about your project today....somehow I missed the few months of posts.  The short answer is I don't know where it's located.   But, I have a 50 Super, and its frame number is located on the rail, on the driver's side, where I've indicated on the 2 pics.....the 57/58 might also be there....but could be hard to see....if it's on the top of one of the support frame rails rather than the bottom..... so you'd need a light and mirror. 

If I find the answer, I'll post it.

Screenshot 2024-06-08 at 4.28.26 PM.png

X-Frame-58-Buick.png copy.jpg

On 6/8/2024 at 9:17 PM, Buick1958 said:

Hello nice to meet you I have a 1958 Buick riviera estate wagon I am trying to find the vin stamped in the chassis do you now where it is? 

IMG_7480.jpeg

Your Buick is magnificent , I love it ! :wub: :wub:

On 6/8/2024 at 12:17 PM, Buick1958 said:

Hello nice to meet you I have a 1958 Buick riviera estate wagon I am trying to find the vin stamped in the chassis do you now where it is? 

IMG_7480.jpeg

Buick1958: Whoops, I had you confused with "jackofalltrades70", thought your '58 was his - completed.   My '57 is similar in color to your '58 (Dresden Blue/Dover White), nice combo.

IMG_0373.jpeg

• Like 2