Best way to kill moths

CatBird

Put 10 pounds of mothballs inside a shop vacuum cleaner with the filter removed. Place it in the car and turn it on. Run it for a few hours in the sun. Pull the cushions forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, edinmass said:

Put 10 pounds of mothballs inside a shop vacuum cleaner with the filter removed. Place it in the car and turn it on. Run it for a few hours in the sun. Pull the cushions forward. 

Great idea! Will this kill everything? Larva? Eggs?

It will kill everything. I think to kill powder post beetles you would have to bag the car. Be careful for fire/over heat damage from the shop vac. I usually stand by and attend to other things and let it fly for 45 minutes. I usually do this treatment three times. Works great. Basically your using the vac to blow air over the moth balls, and the exhaust of the machine works as the fumigation end. Be careful as it will literally knock you over and make you sick.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

My car was in a barn in PA for 42 years. The owners put a ton of moth balls in around and under it two or three times a year. No mice damage, no wasp or any critters. It did take using an ozone machine for about five days to get the smell out of it. The only problem was the seat material was totally dried out and would break apart when you sat on them. I’m sure that was from time also. 
dave s 

How long to get the moth ball smell out then?  I wouldn't want to be that guy at the show that you walk by his car and get knocked out by the smell.  

I did see a dead moth on the floor of my coupe when I had it out,  but I'm pretty sure it was the Gypsy moths we were having everywhere at the time and one flew in the open window.  Will they damage upholstery?  They usually build a nest on trees or other wood surfaces.   I think he just got killed from the sun.  What do you think the chance he would have laid any eggs being?  Hate to ruin the original wool interior in my coupe. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

No mice damage

I had a 57 Chevy that the mice built a nest in and filled it with moth balls and drier sheets,  so that kind of debunked both of those theories.  Not sure why they actually collected them and put them in the nest but they did.  The owner also used Decon so there were plenty of dead mice in the nest as well.  Yuck.  That was in a pretty nice car with a pretty good original interior.  All under the back seat. 

About 5 days of an ozone machine running 24/7 in my car. An ozone machine (you can rent at Home Depot) will remove most odors including smoke. Dry clears that specializes in cleaning cloths and furniture from smoke damage from a home fire have ozone rooms to remove the smoke smell.
As far as mice, I had none. That may have been due to a few very good barn cats but I can not be sure it wasn’t a combination either. 

dave s 

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

What do you think the chance he would have laid any eggs being?  Hate to ruin the original wool interior in my coupe. 

If indeed a Gypsy moth:.... If lite brown it was a male. If white with tan spots it's a female. In any event the larva eat only green tree leaves. Oak much preferred.........

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

It was the male.   They really ravaged our trees this year.   Apple, Oaks, Cherry trees, Beach, White and Black Birch,  Maple, Pine Trees, Spruce trees.  Stripped 50 % of our trees and even ate up most of our Blue berry bushes.  I think they even ate some of our raspberry bushes. 

That puts my mind at ease a bit more.  Normally they wouldn't have gotten in the garage,  but I had the car out that day for her maiden voyage. 

33 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

It was the male.   They really ravaged our trees this year.   Apple, Oaks, Cherry trees, Beach, White and Black Birch,  Maple, Pine Trees, Spruce trees.  Stripped 50 % of our trees and even ate up most of our Blue berry bushes.  I think they even ate some of our raspberry bushes. 

That puts my mind at ease a bit more.  Normally they wouldn't have gotten in the garage,  but I had the car out that day for her maiden voyage. 

Yes, they specialize in oaks but will eat almost anything green. We go through cycles like that here. Last one was about 5 years ago. Their droppings sounded like it was raining in the woods. Then the population collapses until the next cycle. The last two/three years Emerald Ash Borers killed every last ash tree around here. What a shame.

Good to hear the Plymouth is coming along. Nice car. Looking forward to seeing your Brockway at Macungie...........Bob

Speaking of ash. I have about 250BF of clear straight ash. Mostly 4 & 5 quarter, a few 6/4  and 8/4,  8" X 104". It's been on sticks in my warm dry loft since August of 2008. If anyone needs some for framing give me ringy dingy............Bob