Late Model Cars Coming out of Mothballs

MarkV

I recently dug my early 1987 Corsica out of mothballs as it gets 30 miles per gallon. I have been driving it while I’ve been on vacation. 

anyone else out there pulling an old late model out of mothballs and putting them back in service? 

2ACCD7C9-3BA0-497F-BF9F-AC08C3EDB241.jpeg

• Like 2

We may recommission the 77 Puch moped my wife's dad bought new, during gas crisis back in the day.  For a short time he drove it around 10 miles each way to work, until he bought a motorcycle.  It looks like new, but hasn't been run since 1979 or 80.  I actually think AACA has a class for those... 

• Like 2

Owned since 1996. Not ever really mothballed, just only driven occasionally the last few years. It's getting a lot more use now and my 3/4 ton diesel stays parked unless I have something to haul or tow.

DelSol.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not squawking,  my "late model" drivers are a 2005 Impala and a 2009 Journey. Just pointing out a funny circumstance. But, cars do last a lot longer than they used to. I was going to say 'if you take care of them' but that seems to be optional. There isn't much maintenance to do on anything built after the mid 80s.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I'm not squawking,  my "late model" drivers are a 2005 Impala and a 2009 Journey. Just pointing out a funny circumstance. But, cars do last a lot longer than they used to. I was going to say 'if you take care of them' but that seems to be optional. There isn't much maintenance to do on anything built after the mid 80s.

Yes I do agree. But the well maintained 20 yr old cars with 1 or 2 owners and records to show service are a far better buy than  a many owner, unserviced car that's half the price. Costs are high for parts and labour on stuff I can't do without a hoist or a time machine that can take me back over 20 years. 

2 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Very true, but when something goes, it can be a big ticket item or non existent part. I sold my 2005 GMC Safari Van last year because it needed a body control module. I was having a difficult time locating one so, it was time to part ways.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As Rusty said the amount of maintenance modern cars require has diminished. That said what is left is really essential. Oil changes at a decent interval.  Not the 10,000 miles the factory “suggests” but no more than 5000 or so with quality oil and filters. Same with transmission fluid. Ignore these items at your own risk.  The old cars would go way over intervals(shorter as they were) without anywhere near the expensive repairs that neglecting it today will cause.  Stories abound about modern cars where it is”normal” to burn a quart of oil in 1000 miles. How many of you had cars back in the 60’s and 70’s that did that?   This is result of not paying any attention to a vehicle until it stops.  I believe back in ancient times cars were considered a big investment to be taken care if, not a toaster to be rented because to buy it would tie the owner to massive amounts of debt for sges. 

Fuel injection has a lot to do for allowing long intervals between oil changes, the engines no longer run rich like they did with a carburetor and dilute the engine oil with gasoline on cold starts

I agree with Rusty, bearings are factory sealed, lubricants are much better, gaskets are far much better, and there is less preventative maintenance required over the lifespan of the vehicle.

I have found out there is also not a large surplus of major service parts for this new generation of "older late model vehicles" for certain vehicles anyway. Everything runs good until it don't    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Stories abound about modern cars where it is”normal” to burn a quart of oil in 1000 miles. How many of you had cars back in the 60’s and 70’s that did that?  

Actually back in the day 1 qt per 1000 was considered normal and my 60's cars did just that from new. Look at, for example, a mid fifties Buick service manual and see what was required EVERY 1000 and 3000 miles. Count the grease fittings.

And it came with a 90day  or 4000mile warranty.

Maintaining an old car is/was both time consuming and constant. Back in the day a 2 or 3 hundred mile trip took preparation, planning, a tool box and maybe an extra spare. I would not hesitate one minute to get in my car right now and drive it to the west coast.

The last two new cars I bought might as well have sealed hoods. Oil change when it tells me, maybe every 8 to 9 thousand miles. I never bother to check it since it uses NO oil in that time. Can't check the trans. No dip stick. Can't grease it. No fittings. Can't check the battery. I don't even know where it is. No need to tune or time. Plugs last 100K. Tire a bit low? It lets me know.

BUT, when something, other than normal consumables,  does fail be prepared to turn your wallet upside down.

Personally I think the trade off is well worth it...........Bob

I would say that one of the best things that has contributed to the extended maintenance is going from leaded gasoline to unleaded.   With leaded fuel the typical "tune up" was about every 12,000 miles which required new spark plugs or having the ones in the car cleaned.  Now spark plugs will go 100,000 miles or more between change intervals.

Also the lead contaminated the oil and every thing else.  Another reason for the 3,000 mile oil changes at the time.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)