1937 Buick hood adjustment

Matt Harwood

To me the 2 sides don’t even look like they would go on the same car.  I know that doesn’t help you adjust what you have, but the profiles look different.  The driver side appears to have more of a correct profile in the curve, but less of one at the bottom.

Can the grille’s be adjusted up? 

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

The problem appears to be that the radiator surround is not mounted quite correctly. I would try to loosen the large bolt at the bottom center of the radiator that secures that assembly and slightly (as well as the two hood adjustment rods under the hood) and carefully tweaking its orientation. I think that it is likely to be leaning too far forward and slightly crooked from side to side. How are the hood gaps at the front and rear of the hood? If extra space is found there, then the radiator surround assembly needs to go back a bit.

I think I have some documentation on fixing hood alignment issues but it will be later this evening before I can look for it, as I am headed out the door to our monthly AACA Chapter meeting in a few minutes. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matt, when you close the hood and turn the lever, the front "hook" should grab the metal "catch" under there.  If the metal catch is off just a bit it will prevent the hood from closing down properly.  Just make sure the wire under there is catching. 

Also, the front part of that hood can be bent down with a little pressure to help form the proper radius and get the Left and Right gaps looking consistent.

IMG_4030.jpg.9c21e53e075b89339320ecb416b00979.jpg

This metal hook turns and has to grab the front catch to lock the front of the hood down.

IMG_4029.jpg.a14efe507da374e0ab6aa5a8df44b3c0.jpg

Here's that front catch.  I actually removed that when I put my hood on just to be sure it wasn't interfering with the hood properly seating.  Then back in to get it adjusted.

IMG_4031.jpg.8042a7bbb0d48f8fd9ed35b47f1ce393.jpg

Under the hood, this chrome piece is adjustable to allow the grill pin room to clear

IMG_4032.jpg.277ed5ebf36374a7e82cec16ebb7475a.jpg

From the manual...  a bunch of adjustments can be made to the front clip to help the alignment.

922402013_37buickhoodalignment.jpeg.0acc4d6bd6a5a415634463a77db320e4.jpeg

Here's the page showing how to hand form the hood in the front.

Hope it helps.

Gary

Edited by Gary W (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Matt,

If Gary's posting does not help you get it solved, let me know. I may actually have some additional documents on the subject in my files but I think that Gary has probably posted everything you will need to resolve it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Gary W said:

Matt, when you close the hood and turn the lever, the front "hook" should grab the metal "catch" under there.  If the metal catch is off just a bit it will prevent the hood from closing down properly.  Just make sure the wire under there is catching. 

Also, the front part of that hood can be bent down with a little pressure to help form the proper radius and get the Left and Right gaps looking consistent.

IMG_4030.jpg.9c21e53e075b89339320ecb416b00979.jpg

This metal hook turns and has to grab the front catch to lock the front of the hood down.

IMG_4029.jpg.a14efe507da374e0ab6aa5a8df44b3c0.jpg

Here's that front catch.  I actually removed that when I put my hood on just to be sure it wasn't interfering with the hood properly seating.  Then back in to get it adjusted.

IMG_4031.jpg.8042a7bbb0d48f8fd9ed35b47f1ce393.jpg

Under the hood, this chrome piece is adjustable to allow the grill pin room to clear

IMG_4032.jpg.277ed5ebf36374a7e82cec16ebb7475a.jpg

From the manual...  a bunch of adjustments can be made to the front clip to help the alignment.

922402013_37buickhoodalignment.jpeg.0acc4d6bd6a5a415634463a77db320e4.jpeg

Here's the page showing how to hand form the hood in the front.

Hope it helps.

Gary

That's awesome, thanks Gary! I'll let you know how it turns out.

• Like 2

Well, it took about three hours of cursing, tweaking, fighting, and coaxing, but I think I finally have the hood lined up properly. I tried loosening every bolt I could find and coaxing it into position, but ultimately, this was what fixed it:

Diagram1.jpg.58837c52bb7779dab03098da73a00377.jpg

The problem was that the side of the hood right behind the grille was hitting the fixed panel where the headlight attaches (right where E is on the diagram above) and it wouldn't let the hood drop all the way down, hence the gap. Some bending as shown in the diagram both moved the trim into line with the other side and created some clearance on the side panel so it would close properly. It cost me some paint in a few friction points but I have some touch-up that I'll use to fix it. Here's the end result, which is much better albeit not quite perfect:

Adjusted.jpg.d7bc081eae20308ad631a34c58542e95.jpg

Thank you for all the suggestions, advice, and diagrams, it was all very helpful. But I think I'm going to cross a '37 Buick off my list of cars that I want to own--I don't want to go through that ever again.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

But I think I'm going to cross a '37 Buick off my list of cars that I want to own--I don't want to go through that ever again.

Aw, 'come on now -- you can't stay mad at that face...

Adjusted.jpg.d7bc081eae20308ad631a34c585

Looks 1000% better after your 'nose job'.  ;)

• Like 8

Matt, after your excellent work on the passenger's side hood fit, it now looks like the driver's side fit could be improved some.  

I'm sure you'll want to jump right in and tackle that while all this knowledge is fresh in your mind. Please let us know how that goes! John  🙂

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also remembering my 1937 and trying to fit the hood properly after I had pulled the radiator for a re-core. Before I would be locking down the hood I would give the entire hood assembly a bit of a push toward the cowl and things would seat better.

DSCF1789.JPG.d40d7579e00e4265b21e1c18d5253e3b.JPG

Fitment after the front grill assembly was removed and re-installed from the restoration shop. The left grill half was broken towards the top and I had it wired together. Sept. 2013.

DSCF6163.JPG.4772dc9fc18c5498cd9f327f942a353a.JPG

After the radiator replacement fit. A bit tight on the right side. Baraboo WI. 2017.

DSC00288.JPG.95819b24d7d3dd6f3f5a85653d2ff343.JPG Minutes before the rollback came to take it away on its trip to Winnipeg as a parts car. Jan. 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Before I would be locking down the hood I would give the entire hood assembly a bit of a push toward the cowl and things would seat better.

I do the same thing; basically push down near the center with one hand while securing the latch with the other hand.  I then stick my fingertips under the edge of the hood above the side panels ant try to lift it up in order to make sure that it's locked.

• Like 1