running board rubber

jp1gt

I put a torch on the metal side and the rubber came loose. Put it in the BBQ and it all fell off. the next problem is getting replacement rubber. Someone must have researched this, I hate to re-invent the wheel----

There are several companies that offer vulcanizing services for running boards. What vehicle are you working on?

These companies will reproduce the factory original rubber on your car. The problem here is that they need the original to reproduce. 

www.runningboardrubber.com

www.runningboardrubbermats.com

I have an old Steele set not yet installed.  They look to be made of EPDM, which is fine but the formula has some tendency to bloom.  They are multi-piece so there are seams between the molded  and extruded parts.

I have seen good results with polyurethane spray-up followed by sanding, but was told the sanding was long and difficult.  Of course this method only works if the rubber cross-section is uniform (any pattern is in the metal).

I had Kris Arneson do the running boards on my 1939 LaSalle.

Before:

IMG_0830.jpg.0cfe4462a492373de0c299c4c4f128fb.jpg

I built a box and shipped the two running boards to BC Canada

186761702_RunningBoardBox1.jpg.7e0816218979f8e226cf5683cf360c1e.jpg514312069_RunningBoardBox2.jpg.fd598f5de3c1b9363c707b8c3936b098.jpg

He shipped them back in the box I made

IMG_2810.jpg.b973765a44c409aa055f628932f4d704.jpg

Super high quality job and holding up excellent. The originals were overmolded on to the steel step board and the mold formed the pattern. To create molds for each manufacturer and model design would be cost prohibitive and a storage nightmare so Kris recreates the original design by using a layered technique he developed. Each layer is formed and bonded to build the deign, then a final over coating is applied.  You can't tell they are not just formed in a mold. It isn't cheap as it takes a number of man-hours to build these (fairly charged) but If you are looking for accurate recreations, he does an excellent job.

Scott

• Like 1