1922 Buick milestone today- First Drive

Mark Kikta

I finally got the nerve to do it today!  Beautiful day here in Maryland.

I took Mable on a 5 mile drive with Kathy following me.  When We got back home, the car was running so well Kathy hopped in the car and we took off for another 15 miles. What a beautiful day and the old girl ran just great.  Temps and oil pressures were great.  The speedometer worked but the mph is off a good bit.  The odometer is fine but mph reads 20 when the car is actually doing 35.

Car seems to feel the best driving between 30-35 mph.

My best guess is that this was the first drive on the road that Mable has been on since the late 40s or early 50s.  Quite a milestone and a quite a fun day.

I get a video on you- tube

• Like 21

On 6/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, Mark Kikta said:

The speedometer worked but the mph is off a good bit.  The odometer is fine but mph reads 20 when the car is actually doing 35.

I wonder if there's a way to recharge the magnet in these speedometers. They seem to always be low, like yours, or not work at all, like mine. The way speedometers work is, an iron magnet spins inside an aluminum cup. The spinning magnet generates torque on the aluminum cup which makes it turn a little and the spring holds it back. If the magnet loses its magnetism it will read low. How do you re-magnetize a dead magnet?

• Like 1

Magnets are easily recharged. Any of the numerous magneto rebuilders probably have magnet rechargers.  Try Marks Magneto Service 860 537 0376, or Kevins Magneto Service 309 303 2634.  If they cannot help you they should know who can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

You might want to get in touch with Russ Furstnow out in Flagstaff, Arizona.  He is the absolute best in the business at reworking these old speedometers.  His phone is - (928) 526-1343.  His email is - 1stnow@msn.com

I am very envious of you at this point.  We just have a few days to go and our '16 WILL be back on the road also.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

OK here is the uncut version of my first drive video on you tube.

Like I said, it shakes a lot because I did not tie the camera pod to the car, I just tried to weight it a bit.  Also the sound is not very good since the wind noise covers up the sounds a lot.  But here it is. I hope to post some better ones in the future, but there is only one true "First-Drive", and this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT8UjPaz_dE

• Like 6

I didn't know a 22 Buick could do 80 mph!  At least that's how fast it seemed! 

Congrats on your first ride and video!  In the future you may achieve a smoother video during a ride, but it will never be your first ride again, so the video is a classic. 

Thanks for sharing the experience Mark! 

• Like 2

That was awesome Mark, happy summer driving!

Be sure to get a ride in the back seat and let us know if its comfy, especially after all that amazing upholstery work.

My 32 Buick back seat is a very comfy couch, I bet yours is better!

😃

• Like 1