Model A Roadster Adventure

A few years ago I started a thread about how I was interested in possibly finding and purchasing a decent (driver) open car from the nickel era. It was a fun thread and I got a lot of good advice there. I do remember saying that my budget was $10-$15k and there were a lot of comments posted that it'd be hard, but not impossible to find a good open car in that price range. After a lot of car searching and soul searching I decided to stick with the Model A Ford. Yeah I know it's not a nickel era car but having worked on a number of model A's and having put one together basically from the ground up I at least knew them well and just as important, I like them!

So I started a thread under cars wanted last fall and after a while I got a PM from @jpage about a car he had run into by chance in the parking lot of a store in Altoona, PA. He said the young owner had inherited it from his deceased Grandparent and that it was for sale. He said he thought it was a candidate worth looking into. Here is a photo he sent me of the car back in November 2021.

708222345_ModelA1.jpg.15b6e7a09d6d3352f1448b39ef1806f6.jpg

• Like 4

I got in touch with the owner and indeed his Grandfather had owned the car back in the 90's and it had even won a AACA National First Prize! Indeed the badge is still affixed to the grille guard. His Grandfather had passed away in 2003 and the car had sat in a basement garage for nearly 20 years without being ran until his Grandmother passed at which time he inherited the car. I thought it was just what I was looking for so I made the trip from VA on Black Friday. Heading north into PA from our home in VA I starting questioning my sanity when the winds and snow picked up! In any case we made it there with our 20' enclosed trailer in tow and were welcomed by a very nice young man and his fiancee. The car looked mostly like it just needed a thorough cleaning and the usual things that needed to be done to car that had sat for so long. We made the deal, did the paperwork, loaded the car and headed home. Here are photos of the car getting ready to head home.

20211128_132332[1].jpg

20211128_132414[1].jpg

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Not much happened for the next six months. It sat in the trailer until I recovered from Covid. Then January and February were too cold to venture out much (yes, I'm a Wuss!). I did manage to get the old 20 year-old gas drained. I didn't like what I saw in the tank either at that point. I let it soak with 10 gallons of white vinegar in it which seemed to clean out the varnish/tarry stuff but did nothing for the surface rust. I filled the tank then with diesel fuel to help keep it from rusting further until I could figure out what to do. Three months went by then while I attended to other projects. Boney, the dead mechanic did keep a close eye on it throughout the winter and spring.

20220414_115205[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

I wish I could legitimately criticize your procrastination and non action on this car (which I’ve seen in person and greatly approve), but then I walk in my garage and walk past a couple of cars oh so close, but paperweights for a decade.

You made a good deal on the car, now make it work for your enjoyment.  Me too….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So to bring this story current. Memorial Day weekend came and I decided it was WAY past time to get the roadster out and really assess what I need to do to get this thing road-worthy. A good wash (actually should say washes, this thing was so filthy it was hard to tell what color it was!). Cleaned the interior, glass and engine bay. Then made a checklist of things to do: points, plugs, condenser, rotor, hoses, fan belt, fluids, and battery. Tires have tread like new but terrible cracks in the sidewalls so time to order tires and tubes. I'm coming to the realization that the gas tank will likely need to be removed, cleaned, sealed, re-painted and re-installed. I hate to do it but I'm about ready to bite the bullet on that project. And then there's the broken top bow. The center wood bow appears to have "spread" at some point pulling away from the top irons and splitting/breaking the wood at those attachment points. I had previously spoken to my friend Dave about how to best remove the old bow. Once I had the top partially up I started removing the little staples that hold the cloth top to the wood as he instructed me to. The outer padded parts only had 1-2 staples each side. The first strap had 3 staples, the second had six staples and the last one had nine! I sent Dave @trimacara text that basically read "#@&%!! top". At least it's out now and that's what counts. Got to find a replacement now.

Fluids are changed, new plugs are gapped and in, carburetor is off and soaking. Now waiting for some other parts to arrive. 

20220531_125326[1].jpg

20220530_095556[1].jpg

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, trimacar said:

I wish I could legitimately criticize your procrastination and non action on this car (which I’ve seen in person and greatly approve), but then I walk in my garage and walk past a couple of cars oh so close, but paperweights for a decade.

I have a great amount of respect for those that can be found in the garage each day making things happen. I am much more laid back (lazy?) than that. I suspect that I (we?) are in the majority.

Now THIS is the kind of car and condition to start a project with. For some reason I always think that an old beater is better. Oh wait, that's all I've been able to afford! Nice car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpage said:

The ole girl cleaned up pretty nice! Hope you can get her on the road soon! Do you realize that less than 5 tanks of gas today would have bought that car new!

Less than 5 in my diesel pickup! 🙄 It's a good thing I'm only 5'-7" because if I were much taller I don't know if I could get in and out much less drive it. I should have it yard driving soon I hope.

I can't say much my new Plymouth has only had a few hours here and there of time,  as yard work seems to take precedent over the toys.  Headed out to finish rebuilding another flower garden,  but that's the last one. ;) 

Looks sharp.  That's the way I would buy one.  Doesn't make sense any other way to buy a real project. 

Yes Randy, the vegetable garden, flower garden, lawn, mulch, gutter cleaning etc. all need attention this time of year. Next thing you know I'll be complaining that it's too hot to work outside! 😖

And speaking of projects I know that all too well. I have two of those in the shop now that are taking up way too much space, time, and money. If I could recoup most of my investment in either they'd be out of here. I'm definitely at the age where if I want something I need to buy a finished example or something only needing only some TLC!

Looking forward to how you get along on the Plymouth, I hope you post some pics!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Ok breathing life into this thread in hopes of some updates.  I actually did something on our A last night, charged battery... 😉😁

Actually with spring yard cleaning done I am looking forward to some A projects.  Taking float-a-motor mounts out and installing a decent original set of engine pans while I am doing that is next project.  After seeing yours I am reminded I need to change to red or black wheels...

2017-07-09 21.21.33.jpg

• Like 2

I started a thread under the Technical heading describing my challenges trying to clean out the cruddy gas tank interior. The gas tank is nasty inside after sitting for the last 20 years or so. I have it filled with a de-ruster now called "Rust911". Other chores I've been doing include changing all the fluids, installing new points, plugs, condenser, rotor, coil, fan belt and rebuilding the carburetor. I am also on the hunt for a replacement middle top bow which was broken.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

PK:

Did you contact any of the leads I gave you?

Top Bow leads?  I woukd be interested.  Bows are intact on my Standard top but I have a new top to put on and wonder if I should replace them if I can find a set...  thanks if you have any info.

Do you want to replace the top irons or just the wood bows? I think Brookville Roadster has the wood bows but I am only looking to replace the one bow that was broken on mine. Send me a PM and I will share the leads I have for top bows (wood) only.

Well, a friend of mine locally happened to have TWO late 1931 gas tanks. One of them was a perfect, apparently unused one that looked brand new inside and out. He didn't want to part with that one. The other has light surface rust inside and out but should be fine once cleaned and sealed. It's MUCH, MUCH better than the one on the car. I couldn't argue with the price, $100 and that included two quarts of Bill Hirsch Sealer and a pint of tank etch! I also have a new top bow on the way so making progress, a little at a time.

102_8874.JPG

• Like 9

My '28 tank came from a doodlebug which sat outside for probably 20 years. I just washed it out well with hot water and never used any sealer, ( never heard of them at the time), and had no issues for the 16 years I drove it, except for a small leak at the column mount, which was an inherited issue for them. Good luck on yours!

• Like 1