Model T coil machine?

Perichbrothers

You have part of a hand crank coil tester for model t fords.  It is used to set the points on model t ford coils.    John

• Like 2

It is not complete, needs an ammeter (A very special type!) in order to adjust the coils properly. It also needs some repair, at least one of the magnet "bridges" is broken loose. There is a fellow in the Pacific North West that does a fine job of restoring these.

These were manufactured by several different companies back in the day, some are more desirable than others (I am not an expert on them).

The brass/copper top coil in it is a somewhat desirable one also. That style coil was only used from mid 1913 into very early 1917 from the Ford factory. For about a year (mostly 1917) Ford used a strange black straw plastic coil, it had the Ford name cast on each side. They began developing moisture and warpage issues early, and were replaced by the common wood topped wooden coils for 1918 on through the end of production. The 1917 plastic coils are fairly rare, but not particularly desirable (I do have one in fair condition and it does work!).

• Thanks 1

The only thing that makes the meter special are the marking on the face and size. Any AC ampere meter that reads in the low ampere range will work fine, for example 0 to 3-5 range. The extra marking does not contribute to how it works. 

Edited by Mark Gregush
Added "AC" (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All it needs is an AC amp meter. You can buy them all over the place if you look. Do a search of AC amp meters. It does have to be analog, not digital. I didn't say anything about needing an AC meter because I didn't even think about adding that, having worked on them for so long forgot it might not be common knowledge. I have the same Allan unit that I use to setup coils. 

HCCT (Hand Crank Coil Tester) Meter Repair - MTFCA Forum

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Mead said:

Ford T coils. The only precision piece of electrical equipment that I know of that you adjust with………wait for it………a hammer !

You also needed a pry bar to bend the point up before you hit it back down with a hammer. :) But yes, they are adjusted with a hammer and pry bar (or screw driver works too). LOL 

Sorry my f riends..but this is too funny!

In the real enthusiastic Model T world,this is  like talking about common place toasters in the everyday  normal kitchen. 

Get into that "T"" realm ,which is soooo easy to do, your knowllege in the Model expanded,x 10 , in ten minutes.

The AACA.is not the best stop for the Model T...it's the last!