Good Place to Buy Railroadiana? Looking for US&S Relay

DB26

I’ve done a google search and didn’t quite find what I was looking for. Is there an online community that deals in railroad equipment and the like? I’ve been getting into collecting railroad items lately. OfferUp isn’t that great and I have been wanting an old Union Switch and Signal CO’s relay. A model 15 Vane relay to be exact. eBay has some but not what I’m looking for. Is there an AACA for railroads? 

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

Looks like you found the RR forum on line. I recognized your want ad.

There is a very active group of RR'ers in Spokane, WA, - a RR town from way back.

You might want to contact the Inland Northwest Rail Museum (websites below). They should be able to connect you with individuals and clubs that may aid your search. Check the "links" page as there are many other resources in the region.

cropped-Home-Header-3.jpg

https://inlandnwrailmuseum.com/about-us/

https://inlandnwrailmuseum.com/related-links/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe NE Key Lock & Lantern is still pretty active (best to google it).  My dad was a member for many years and at one time had one of the biggest collections of RR lanterns in this part of the country at least.  Interests changed and he moved them on, although he recently started acquiring some here and there again.

PA is one state with a heavy concentration of RR collectors and interest.  If you attend Carlisle or Hershey and have extra time, several large antique malls in tbgg e Hershey, Lancaster, Denver PA areas are loaded with the stuff.

• Like 1

As a child I recall visiting another collector friend of my dad's in Simsbury, CT, a town over from me now.  Guy had a caboose brought into his backyard on a 20 foot section of track!!  His upper middle middke class neighbors must have loved that... 😁😁

I suspect it is the same caboose now located behind a local gas station, but not sure.  I was amazed as a small kid but recall few specific details about it now.

Model RR meets are another great source as well.  

Great hobby, I have some interest but not enough to get real active, given other interests like our cars and automobilia. 

We lived near Altoona for a few years in the late 90’s and between Altoona, Holidaysburg, Frankstown, and Cresson there was literally tons of PRR stuff available at every estate sale from early cast iron signs to coal stoves with the PRR logo and tools, lamps, etc. I moved a lot from there to Hershey and made quite a bit of hobby money from it. One of my contract engineering jobs was in an old PRR shop and there was still lots of tools in the shop, and drafting equipment for track layout in the office - I don’t doubt it’s still there if that plant hasn’t closed.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll do some emailing and investigating around. Hope I find one. I called my local museum and they said, “yeah, we have those model 15s, but we use them to run our trains, so I don’t have any available” dang. eBay sold one about 3 months ago, dang! So close yet so far. 

Are there any more railroad guys here? 

I’m located in Southern California. Willing to ship. Zip 91745.

Will give a finders fee as well

I want to set up a small track signal circuit at home. Only about 8 feet worth. I’m going off of the system used locally by the Pacific Electric Railway Red Cars. They used the model 15 on their signals.

19C82001-6EAA-4237-A74B-222B9E1A3066.jpeg.d4de97d7d48e5d8e50b48915b5d069d7.jpeg

270544F9-8234-46BE-9803-8959DDF340C7.jpeg.eb437067961e8ee402d3e1b8a0c81974.jpeg

Edited by DB26 (see edit history)

• DB26 changed the title to Good Place to Buy Railroadiana? Looking for US&S Relay

I found this railroad jack at Carlisle!  Unbeknownst to me at first, I actually bought it from PKHammer's (here on the AACA Forums!) friend while he was manning Greg's stand!  He had two, but I was more intrigued by this one.  Made by Simplex, but marked Chicago London Paris!  

RR Jack.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...