1941 Coupe V8, stored 50 years, 9,9K USD, but Ford

AJ, 40 is high water mark due to styling.  A 39 Deluxe is close.  These are second only to '32 - '34s for hot rodders.  That is biggest factor.  41 is nice, and more desirable than 42 (debatable I guess, due to short prod) and 46 -48.  Convertibles, woodies of course are desirable across these years.

• Like 5

Seems like alot of rust for 10 G on a non running car.  Wasn't there another coupe,  Possibly 46-48 on here in much better shape for maybe 6 G more.  It was turn key and in alot better shape.  There is a a pretty clean, basically no rot,  41 Conv't in that range as well,  but it needs alot of cosmetics and an interior. 

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Somebody educate me.   One of these years is the desirable one,  39,40,41.   Can someone tell me which and why?

As to the why...the '39 Deluxe and '40 Fords shared some conspicuous front end styling elements with the iconic '39 and '40 Lincoln Continental. Those elements worked equally well on high end luxury cars and humble Fords, in many people's opinions, including mine (except that I think I'd rather have a '41 because they don't seem as common today.) Here's a Lincoln:

604940.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

1940 Deluxe

1939 Deluxe

1940 Standard

1939 Standard

So, it looks that in this book is a lot of incorrect info, because it's stated that in 1941 Ford produced both DeLuxe and Super Deluxe models. This is what you mean? 

IMG_20220225_195735264.jpg

IMG_20220225_195753362.jpg

42 minutes ago, Piotr M said:

So, it looks that in this book is a lot of incorrect info, because it's stated that in 1941 Ford produced both DeLuxe and Super Deluxe models. This is what you mean? 

IMG_20220225_195735264.jpg

IMG_20220225_195753362.jpg

Only that no 1941 Ford is held in as high regard and as desirable as the 1939-'40 models.  It's a matter of taste, yours may vary from the norm...

• Like 1

Randy, agree but I think what buoys price on coupes, converts as well are the hot rod guys who mainly care about integrity of the body as they are likely changing a lot.  Thus, they look at things a bit differently than the restorer who is doing as accurate a calculation of what the work needed is going to cost.  

On second blush it may be high but if it was a 40, it would be all of 10k, I think.  As long as cats, dogs, and small children cannot wiggle through rust holes... 

I agree 40 is the hot one of the 39-48 and 41 is the dog bringing up the rear.  I really think the 42's are better.  The waterfall grille looked more at home on the 42 than the 41 grille and basically the fender shapes are the same up to the grille treatment.   That 41 transition grille falls short.  The front looks short and stubby with it,  especially since they made everything more blunt on the 41. 

Even for a hot rodder I think they would rather have one of the others.  When you have 10 G burning a hole you have some choices as well.   

I've seen 41's linger on the market,  so I think it's a bit of an acquired taste.   I did have a 41 at one point and eventually traded it.  No other takers.  The 46 I had sold much better.  Both needed work. 

Pity the poor, unloved '41 Ford, its styling is credited to young styling apprentice Eugene 'Bud' Adams but ruined by production chief Charley Sorensen.  The broader blunt theme was in response to anticipated similar Chevy and Plymouth designs for 1941.  The front fenders were initially designed as one piece, but Sorensen insisted they be made easier to manufacture so the prominent separation line was developed.  Worst was the 'chubby cheek' look that lower portion of the fender stamping imparted when mated to the upper.  Altogether with the 'cut-off-sausage' bulbous slope of the rear body, the package was a pretty graceless whole.   Internally, it was referred to as a 'droopy, hangdog' look.  But Sorensen got the easy-to-manufacture front fenders in spite of the number it did on the styling.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

Odd that they would be looking for a restyle from Plymouth and Chevrolet - both cars' 41 models were refinements of the 1940 designs, not directions.

Yes, the two part fenders are the cherry on the ugly cake.

Yes, they were re-styles but in that current broad, blunt theme, Ford was still pushing the sharp, prow-front, had to change to stay modern.

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)