1934 Studebaker, ground battery cable getting Hot, car will not start, Startix thing confuses me.

mitchwhodge

Using a 12 volt cable is probably the problem. Go to Brillman and order new heavy duty cables, not expensive and they will custom make anything you need. Great people. The Startix is fun and works well.....you just need to understand them. There are lots of postings on them......Google it. It’s basically a fancy starter solenoid. Many times they have been bypassed with a button for safety.

• Like 5

Agree with Ed. You need good heavy cables for a 6-volt system. I sometimes get them at tractor supply as they have cables that are diesel tractor duty. Standard 12-volt ones will not carry the amperage that you need. Also, old cables that have been hot will fail. They act like a piece of nichrome wire and get hot instead of carrying current. It is like an electric cook stove element. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Cables ... had a boat with a 35hp Force motor. Outboard have very long cables, this boat was like flat battery all the time till we found a 6" section of the earth cable was weak, inside the fine braids of copper were burnt black.

New leads was instant success.

As mentioned 6v cables should be as fat as your fingers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tonz said:

Cables ... had a boat with a 35hp Force motor. Outboard have very long cables, this boat was like flat battery all the time till we found a 6" section of the earth cable was weak, inside the fine braids of copper were burnt black.

New leads was instant success.

As mentioned 6v cables should be as fat as your fingers.

Yes. Seen this before on all kinds of equipment and autos. I've even had new wire that is bad out of the box. Rare, but it does happen. It can't be seen under the coating. Sometimes it will show up on a olm meter reading. On smaller wires just start tugging. When you find a springy spot, pull it apart. That's where all the green stuff is inside. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I can make 00 cables in red or black, any length, battery lugs or eyelets (most common are both) can clock the shorter ones too.

Not cheap but sure do work well.

Never really tried to market these but make up a few sets a year for the locals around here.

IM004946.JPG

IM004940.JPG

• Like 4