1938 Buick engine questions

40mopar

I recently acquired a 1938 Buick Series 40 Special Business Coupe.  It took some research, but based on postings on AACA and some other sources, I’m reasonably sure that this is truly a ’38 Special Business Coupe.  The firewall plate info and the frame serial numbers all seem to agree.  The vehicle has coil springs in the rear, the only firm difference I could find between a ’37 and a ’38.

My problem comes with the engine.  An original ’38 Buick shop manual says the plugs should be 14mm and require a 13/16th socket.  My plugs take a ¾” socket and are 17mm.  After a pretty lengthy search, I finally found the engine serial number.  It is for a 1937 engine.  OK, no big deal.  I know that using parts from the previous year was common place, but further research indicated that the original 1937 plugs were 18mm, not 17mm.

So, I wonder what I have?  You would think that if in fact GM used ’37 Buick engines in ’38 vehicles, there would be some reference in the shop manual.  If a previous owner swapped engines, why the difference in plug thread size?  Guess it could be both a different engine and a different head, but how could I determine that?

As long as I find the correct plugs and get this thing running, it’s no big deal, but I will always be wondering what I have when the need comes to replace other parts.

Comments appreciated.  Thanks.+

Welcome to the world of straight 8 Buick

6 hours ago, 40mopar said:

My problem comes with the engine.  An original ’38 Buick shop manual says the plugs should be 14mm and require a 13/16th socket.  My plugs take a ¾” socket and are 17mm.  After a pretty lengthy search, I finally found the engine serial number.  It is for a 1937 engine.  OK, no big deal.  I know that using parts from the previous year was common place, but further research indicated that the original 1937 plugs were 18mm, not 17mm.

So, I wonder what I have?  You would think that if in fact GM used ’37 Buick engines in ’38 vehicles, there would be some reference in the shop manual.  If a previous owner swapped engines, why the difference in plug thread size?  Guess it could be both a different engine and a different head, but how could I determine that?

Probably an engine swap some time in the last 84 years. At one time would have been a 25~30 year old used car with low value.

Casting number on the head and/or manifolds?

Info-->https://www.buickheritagealliance.org/index.php/restoration/engines/straight_8

We like photos!

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

The car apparently has rear coil springs, so at least the chassis appears to be a '38.  As stated above, however, the engine (or just the head) could have been swapped at some point over the last 80 years.  Pictures would definitely help...

13 hours ago, EmTee said:

What sparkplug is currently in the engine?  Is there any evidence that the head may have been removed?

The current plugs are Champion  D 16.  It's the 17mm thread that has me puzzled.  It's a 1937 engine number, but 37's were supposed to have 18mm plugs.

Here's a photo.  Am I measuring wrong?

DSCN2008.JPG

I suspect you are. My guess is 18mm is the size before thread cutting, and the very tip tops of the threads would be close to 18mm, yet still a bit less. I have never heard of a 17mm plug.

Brillman, who should know because they deal in electrical stuff for tractors (and cars) of this era, think a Champion D-16 is an 18mm plug.

https://brillman.com/product/d16-champion-spark-plug-18mm/

Nice car!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yep, 38 grille and an 18mm plug. Your measurement is fooling you. When standard 60 degree threads are cut there is relief cut on the thread crests so when you measure as you have shown the measurement will be less than the actual specified thread diameter. This is why you are seeing 17.08mm. .0326 inch is the crest relief which equals .92mm.

17 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Yep, 38 grille and an 18mm plug. Your measurement is fooling you. When standard 60 degree threads are cut there is relief cut on the thread crests so when you measure as you have shown the measurement will be less than the actual specified thread diameter. This is why you are seeing 17.08mm. .0326 inch is the crest relief which equals .92mm.

No, my measurement wasn't fooling me:  I was fooling myself.  Guess who failed to zero his electronic caliper before measuring?🥵

Plugs measure about 17.8mm which is close enough to 18 for me.

So, I'm satisfied I have a '38 Buick with a '37 engine.  Just wish I knew the history.

Why would you install an engine from an older car?  Guess that's part of the fun having these old relics around.

You never know what secrets they are keeping.

I have been told that Buick dealers offered black replacement engines after WWII.  If your engine is painted black, you probably have a replacement engine.  Immediately after the war, there were no new cars available due to conversion of the car factories for the war effort. So, dealers did what they could to extend the life of cars built before the war.  

• Like 1