Yet Another Video-1972 Olds celebration

Steve Moskowitz

https://youtu.be/jBTxSeJsfP8

So I received yet another video that will interest some folks, especially if they are Oldsmobile fans.  Oldsmobile's 75th anniversary.  I brought my '36 Olds business coupe to the show.  It is the gaudy blue one!  The car in itself held a lot of stories.  You will see Oldsmobile's administration building in the background of several scenes.  I worked in that building for a couple of years.  I was also the President of the Oldsmobile Club of America during that time.  Just a kid.  I remember, one of the leaders in town, Dick Neller being scared stiff that this young man was going to be speaking at the banquet.  Years later he told me of this fear and that he was shocked that I handled myself like I knew what I was doing.  Thankfully my activities in college gave me the chance for a lot of public speaking so it was a piece of cake for me.

Notice Gene Zimmerman's cars in the background.  I recall he brought 3 to the festivities.  Man this is so much fun going down memory lane.

Thank you for presenting this video.

I saw a couple of large early Oldsmobiles that

appeared briefly.  Were there any Limiteds, or

Autocrats?

On film at least, the World War I era cars didn't

seem as popular--those with nickel trim or painted

grille surrounds.  That seems the same as today!

And a 1930 Olds, 42 years old at the time, represents

the same era in the hobby that a 1980 Cutlass would today.

There were plenty of late-1930's cars, which would be

the same age as mid-1980's Oldsmobiles today.  Yet I

haven't seen many, for instance, 1987 Oldsmobiles at

today's shows.  This was a good view of the hobby

at that time.

Thanks for the video. Pretty blue coupe! It was a sad day when Oldsmobile - America's oldest car company at the time - closed the doors...at least for some of us. My in-laws were long time residents of East Lansing. I was up there not long after Olds shut down, and remarked about the sad event. Some of them were like,"Oh yeah...I heard about that." Talk about being disconnected with your local community and economy. To them, Michigan State University was the only thing that really mattered in the Lansing area. Many university people - across the country - see automotive and manufacturing jobs as blue collar, and therefore not worthy of their attention.

Joe figured you would like that.  John there was not a Limited in the video that I noticed but a 1909 Model Z which has the 43" tires.  Several Autocrats there too.  It wasa a fun celebration and I have been back for other anniversaries including the 100th.  UAW took the marble from the façade of the Admin building and cut commemorative blocks for Olds enthusiasts.  I have several to remind me of my days working in that great building.

I was their for the Olds 75th, the very last car on the video is our 1911 Limited (with top down) but you have to look quick or you might miss it. We had also brought our 1905 CDO. Oldsmobile also had there Limited at the show, it was still dark blue with black fenders at the time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I remember, one of the leaders in town, Dick Neller being scared stiff that this young man was going to be speaking at the banquet.  Years later he told me of this fear and that he was shocked that I handled myself like I knew what I was doing. 

Steve,

Thanks for the videos, and especially for the memory and reminder of our long-time friend, Dick Neller, a true gentleman who also served as VMCCA 1992-1993 National President.

A somewhat amusing anecdote during a long-past Glidden Tour - probably the 1992 in Kentucky during his presidential term. Dick was quite tall, and was driving his huge Olds Touring. Dale and were directly behind in out little 1927 Chevrolet Capitol AA Roadster and could practically view the scenery beneath the big Olds. Our group of Glidden cars had been stopped while waiting for a freight train to clear the 2-lane road crossing. When the cross bar allowed traffic to move, a big yellow school bus came the opposite direction. The kids screamed with glee as they were "FACE-TO-FACE" with Dick Neller in his huge Olds Touring ! I think he enjoyed the encounter as much as the kids in the bus.