Brewster is Back!

CatBird

There was a lengthy thread about the Brewster. I don't know how the older thread got deleted.

1934 Brewster Town Car. Built on a 1934 Ford commercial chassis, lengthened about 15 inches. Bought it from the Truett Cathy Collection. Took me about five years to talk them out of it! Was completely restored by Fran Rosa in the mid '90s. Pebble Beach 1998 2nd place and tour ribbons. 

In it's history was owned by opera star Lily Pons and her husband Andre Kostelanetz, orchestra leader. Dame Pons was the daughter of Auguste Pons, owner/driver of one of the six cars in The Great Race from New York to Paris of 1908. Dame Pons was ten at the time.

I do love the car. Haunted my dreams until I got THE phone call, "Bill, come get your car!" I had a handshake deal of two years previously. Even though there were six important people in line behind me, but i got it!

The work is outstanding. Mahogany and stainless running boards, outstanding basket weave (paint applied by a cake decorator nozzle) that covers the side doors and around the rear, too much to list. Was driven regularly up until COVID. Still driven often. Anyhow, enough chatter, here are some pictures and a video.

IMG_1769.jpeg.bed689858ce9911e9d9f3a3f6b440517.jpeg

P1080730 (Medium).JPG

P1080735.JPG

P1080725 (Medium).JPG

22859713_2180536965305039_6097782026603893003_o.jpg

P1080716.JPG

P1080717.JPG

2.jpg

1101401230_400.jpg

IMG_3319 (Medium).JPG

lily_pons (Medium).jpg

Edited by CatBird
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 10

Ted Holden of Jupiter Florida had one and was the Newsletter guy for the Brewster Club.  (He said, because he had a copy machine)

In the late 80's & 90's we would practice for the Great American Races in the Jupiter/Palm Beach area and he would chauffer me in the

to the  Breakers Club in his Black Brewster.   His Brewster is one of the only one's he knew of that was re-chassied after the Depression

and WWII.  It rode on a 47 Buick Chassis, but looked exactly the same as when it was on a 34 Ford chassis.

Over the 9 years we raced together in his 1935 Chrysler Airflow, we met many Brewster owners who brought their Brewsters and Airflows

out to see Ted Holden and The Great American Race.  We also got to see some really nice private car collections if we stopped overnight

where Brewster & Airflow people lived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a "snap shot" of this car at a VCCA meet in 1966-67-68(?).  The show was at Cypress Gardens, Florida.  While talking to the owner, my dad and I, were told by the

somewhat disgruntled gentleman.  That the cars original owner was Lily Pons.  As to why he was miffed is because he was "dinged" in judging for having Philips headed screws on the car.  Philips head screws did not come out until 1936.🤔

Captain Harley😉

Skirts are for women and not car fenders!

PS:  I'll try and scan a copy of the snap shot, but no promises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Congratulations Bill!

Glad to see you ended up with it. Thank you for sharing YOUR car with all of us!

Hope to get down to see you & your additions since the last time I was there very soon.

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Bill, good to see you here again! Bill has transported our 1910 Thomas Flyer 6/40 and it was great! On time. White glove treatment. He has my business.

• Thanks 1